Cavaliers And Their Antics

I believe they used to do this to everyone but their drumline used to throw plenty of Jolly Ranchers at us in retreat. It could have all been in fun but there could have been a bit of jealousy involved in targeting us because we were beating them in drums every night on the DCM tour.

I miss full corps retreat. All of that type of stuff was fun and generally unseen by the people in the stands.

No, they do that to everyone, it wasn't just because you were beating them in drums.

I enjoyed full corps retreats A: from the stories I would hear and B: the pit got to chill out for a good bit during retreat, that was always a blast.

Edited by drummer5485

6NR1S.png

Talk about an XtraordinarY head rush, amirite?

But in all seriousness, what were your thoughts on this? Was it awesome? Did you get sick of it? Personally, I really enjoyed it. I feel like it's something a lot of corps might do various twists on in future designs. Or I'm crazy, either way...

They were beating a dead horse. Funny the first time, but they did it one too many times, I think.

• Like 1

Really, though, this has been discussed quite a bit: drum corps is nothing more than pastiche, anyway . . .so the argument basically boils down to "who decided to steal from another art form first?" :tongue:

Yup.....and not that the upside down drumming, basses balancing on their drums, and snares tossing their sticks to each other wasn't cool for the people who saw it for the first time, I can understand how some might not be that excited about it when they had possibly seen 3 wgi groups do these "tricks/gimmics" back in April. But DCI and WGI share one group of fans to a certain extant, but at the same time they each have seperate fans....if that makes sense.

What I like about Cavies doing this is that in one of their promotional videos about their show, Mike McIntosh says that they are barrowing things that others have done. I think that it shows a high amount of class when someone flat out gives props to other people and doesn't try to claim things for themselves.

• Like 1

They were beating a dead horse. Funny the first time, but they did it one too many times, I think.

To be honest, it became sort of their identity of their show. Everybody pretty much recognized the show by its "upside-down reverse" tricks.

honestly I'm still not sure why there were people on stilts in the Cavaliers show...

anyone care to explain?

standing is ordinary....standing on stilts is extraordinary

playing is ordinary....playing upside-down is extraordinary

I don't think they had a hard show concept.

• Like 2