Coming back from the edge (DCA version)

I know this was a few pages back, but I just got to reading this thread.

Just to set the record straight, the Toms River show was well over 300 people (as stated previously) and made money for the Bushwackers and the Toms River East HS Band.

Its great that you share attendance figures. So many corps want to hide their attendance figures for whatever reasons those may be.

I think some people are under the assumption that DCA shows are bringing in 3000 peeps in paid attendance. Ive been to several DCA shows over my short association with DCA in the NE,SE and Midwest and never seen that sort of attendance records.

Championships excluded of course.

Edited by camel lips

Shows within 4-6 hours here are considered LOCAL shows. Generally speaking car pools. I have had to do a local show that was 8 hours away and that was a car pool situation also.

I think when gas was at a all time high a 4 way split on gas was about $30 bucks a head.

4-6 hours is local? Are you serious? Jeff had the right idea in mind, but illustrated it poorly. Most corps have to make cutbacks somewhere these days, and Empire chose Scranton even though it was probably their shortest ride of the season. By season's end I personally will have made three 7-8 hour bus rides, and one 5-6 hour bus ride for shows.

This is all after a 7 hour drive just to get to the BUS! And then another 7 hours back! Car pool? Yeah, in fact I take a full car load with me every week, but split fuel costs? Not a chance! People chip in what and when they can, but nowhere near their fair share. Corps are broke, but people are broke too. If I said to someone that managed to scrounge up their dues so they could march, "sorry, but I'm giving you a ride unless you pay for 1/4 of the fuel and tolls" (let's not even get into the wear and tear on my car), then I would have no extra passengers and my corps would have 2 fewer members. Trust me there is a financial burden in the NE as well.

4-6 hours is local? Are you serious? Jeff had the right idea in mind, but illustrated it poorly. Most corps have to make cutbacks somewhere these days, and Empire chose Scranton even though it was probably their shortest ride of the season. By season's end I personally will have made three 7-8 hour bus rides, and one 5-6 hour bus ride for shows.

This is all after a 7 hour drive just to get to the BUS! And then another 7 hours back! Car pool? Yeah, in fact I take a full car load with me every week, but split fuel costs? Not a chance! People chip in what and when they can, but nowhere near their fair share. Corps are broke, but people are broke too. If I said to someone that managed to scrounge up their dues so they could march, "sorry, but I'm giving you a ride unless you pay for 1/4 of the fuel and tolls" (let's not even get into the wear and tear on my car), then I would have no extra passengers and my corps would have 2 fewer members. Trust me there is a financial burden in the NE as well.

:worthy:

4-6 hours is local? Are you serious?

Yeppers. Most members have that long of a commute to get to rehersals if they want to march with one of the successful open class corps.

I once did a local show car pooling that was 8 hours away from the home base of the corps. It took me over 6 hours to get to the home base.

Travel shows? 22 hours away MIN. Some took 29 hours by bus. Then its 6 hours drive to get home after a 22 hour bus trip.

Talk about expenses.

I feel your pain about sharing expenses and driving with the car pool. For several years I was fortunate to have a nice car and was able to share that car with my peeps and have them chip in on gas. I hear what you saying about not always getting paid or getting paid in full. Wear and tear on the car yes. Im paying for that now with a aging car.

In 09 I was blessed to have a wonderful buddy that helped me out with the gas and vehicle to get to Atlanta. I did all the driving in return. So I have experienced it from all sides.