Fan Network Webcast of DCA Prelims

Wow! That was Anderman at prelims? Great job, Steve! GO BRIGS!!!

The thanks are appreciated, no matter what special Ed says. But it is Mr. Peashey who should take the blame for my presence. :)

And I gotta tell you, this was a lot easier than trying to read a spiel AND march onto the field with the corps at the same time! (Good ol' Mac Stadium!)

Having prelims broadcast on Fan Network was a great thing and technically there were few problems with it.

I watched prelims this past Monday. Except for a couple "skips" (I'm assuming these were due to technical issues), it was great. PA announcer was too loud compared to the rest of the broadcast but again, it sure beats not seeing the shows at all. Thanks so much to everyone involved in putting it together.

The thanks are appreciated, no matter what special Ed says. But it is Mr. Peashey who should take the blame for my presence. :)

And I gotta tell you, this was a lot easier than trying to read a spiel AND march onto the field with the corps at the same time! (Good ol' Mac Stadium!)

Blame accepted...

Mr. Anderman is a machine behind the mic...

Blame accepted...

Mr. Anderman is a machine behind the mic...

Yup, all your fault, Tom, for getting me back behind the mic a few years ago. :smile: Mr. Pronti also gets some of that blame! Some other comments...

I loved Jim's comment about "corpswidth". Most appropriate!

As for audio levels, I had no control over that. The level for the stadium audio was set and steady throughout. The level taken for the webcast did seem to vary throughout and I suspect that the control room output level may not have been adjusted consistently during the day. This was handled in the make-shift control room in the un-airconditioned stadium pantry (believe it or not!). This was separate from the "trailer" control room, and I suspect that the pantry may have handled solely the webcast side. Something that, perhaps, Mike Symonds could discuss. I, too, would be interested in the technical details. What I do know is that Mike and his team were in Rochester for nearly a week to set-up the production.

Up until about 10 minutes before "air time", no audio was getting to the pantry and there was a mad scramble to make available fiber lines work. In the end, I believe they had to run a separate line.

The biggest gaff of the day was mine - the "premature enunciation" during the Long Island Sunriser's performance. The production trailer may have taken their cue from me or else they were fooled, too. I feel bad about that one. Much of the day is now scripted, which keeps everyone busy. I try and keep a stopwatch on everyone but don't always have a sixth eye available to watch the watch.

I remember doing that once before back in 1991 (I think?) at a DCNY show in Canastota with the Crusaders at the end of Channel One Suite when they still had Something left to perform. I remember the look I got from Beth - I should have been DEAD! :lookaround:

But such is live production. Each year I take notes to try to make each succeeding season better. Having had the webcast available for review has made that process more fluid; an invaluable tool for improving production values.

A "machine" behind the mic? Perhaps an old, hand-cranked model..!

Edited by K2SMA

Canastota? I don't remember that and surely as corps director I was there... you must have made the flub sound good... it did have a double ending...

Now, all this announcing stuff aside... you must perform the ultimate miracle and bring back Music City Legend. For those who have been away and not paying attention, in addition to being a fine announcer, Steve is the current corps director of Nashville's all aged corps and is charged with getting them back on their feet and on their way to Annapolis in 2012.