Note for Govies for 2012 at Annapolis

Finally caught the corps show on the WebCast and caught John saying something he'd better change for 2012 DCA. :rolleyes: John said the Govies were the oldest DC in America and he allllllmost got it right. Govies ARE oldest competing and oldest continuousily operating corps in the US.

But for the oldest... next year you're gonna be in the home stadium of the oldest DC in America (US Navy Midshipmen).

Then there's that other green crew an hour or so north of Annapolis in Hanover....

Seriously I'm a fan of the corps and can't wait to see you live next year.... :thumbup: And plenty of free time tomorrow to watch the Vegas show again.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

He can say it... the Navy drum corps will be in Dublin Ireland (London too)... they will NOT be at DCA... shame...

Finally caught the corps show on the WebCast and caught John saying something he'd better change for 2012 DCA. :rolleyes: John said the Govies were the oldest DC in America and he allllllmost got it right. Govies ARE oldest competing and oldest continuousily operating corps in the US.

According to their website, the drum corps was inactive from 1938-1944...

That would make the Racine Scouts the oldest continuously active competing corps in the U.S.

But for the oldest... next year you're gonna be in the home stadium of the oldest DC in America (US Navy Midshipmen).

And Kidsgrove will be there.

They celebrated their Centennial last year...

Then there's that other green crew an hour or so north of Annapolis in Hanover....

Seriously I'm a fan of the corps and can't wait to see you live next year.... :thumbup: And plenty of free time tomorrow to watch the Vegas show again.

Yep! Looking forward to Md in 2012!

And Kidsgrove will be there.

They celebrated their Centennial last year...

Ooops... forgot about that and I was at DCA last year... :doh:

And would love to see the Midhsipmen march for once. They always did a great standstill at Harrisburg.

Edit: Congrats to Govies.... just looked at last nights scores. And downpour at end... at least they got retreat in from what I read...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Ooops... forgot about that and I was at DCA last year... :doh:

And would love to see the Midhsipmen march for once. They always did a great standstill at Harrisburg.

Edit: Congrats to Govies.... just looked at last nights scores. And downpour at end... at least they got retreat in from what I read...

The Midshipmen came in 2nd at this year's Inter Service D&B Corps Championship, nnd there's a vid on that tubular place from a 9/3 half-time show, doing "Hunt for Red October".

The Midshipmen came in 2nd at this year's Inter Service D&B Corps Championship, nnd there's a vid on that tubular place from a 9/3 half-time show, doing "Hunt for Red October".

Now you're just trying to make sure I owe you some "drinkables" next year... :tongue:

Thanks Ron..... will check out "Roo Rube" <too much Scooby Doo on the Cable this weekend>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

He can say it... the Navy drum corps will be in Dublin Ireland (London too)... they will NOT be at DCA... shame...

Hello Tom,

Congratulations to DCA and to all competing/performing corps for a wonderful weekend.

As an aside, do you know if the Mini-Corps competition on Friday night (8/31/2012) will be outside in the stadium?

Thanks in advance!

According to their website, the drum corps was inactive from 1938-1944...

That would make the Racine Scouts the oldest continuously active competing corps in the U.S.

Not completely true. I believe Racine Scouts didn't compete for several years in the early/mid 80's. They began competing in DCM late 80s and started DCI early 90s.

Someone can correct me... but I believe the corps didn't compete from 72ish to late 80s.... just remained a parade/community/VFW corps.

Not completely true. I believe Racine Scouts didn't compete for several years in the early/mid 80's. They began competing in DCM late 80s and started DCI early 90s.

Someone can correct me... but I believe the corps didn't compete from 72ish to late 80s.... just remained a parade/community/VFW corps.

(Sorry this is so wordy - I get a little passionate!)

I went by what they say on their website:

http://www.racinescouts.com/about_us.php

"The Racine Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps is based and housed in Racine, Wisconsin. Started as a Boy Scout of America troop in 1927, the Scouts are the oldest continually competitive Drum Corps in North America as well as the oldest musical scouting unit."

Corpsreps has scores for them in 1973 - and then again starting in 1981.

It's not a complete database yet, as I've been finding out while doing some other research, but it sounds like you're about right.

Then there's this from http://www.racinekiltiealumni.org/Racine_Scouts_pt_3_History_Page.html :

"In 1974 the Racine Explorer Scouts had a hard time recruiting members. What wound up on the field in competition

for this organization in 1974 was known as the Racine-Kenosha Scout Drum and Bugle Corps. They only competed

locally in Class B and small non-DCI competitions. I could only find three contest results for them. At the American

Legion State Championships in Milwaukee on Saturday, July 19th, 1974,the Racine-Kenosha Scouts scored 10.05

points and placed 8th (Last place) in Class B competition. The next day, Sunday, July 20th, 1974, at the Racine

New Day - New Dawn Drum and Bugle Corps Contest at Horlick Field, the Racine-Kenosha Scouts scored 29.4

points to finish in ninth place. (Last place) Then at the "Vibrations '74" Contest in Oshkosh, WI, on Sunday, August

11th, they scored 37.80 for fifth place. (Last place).

"After talking about merging with the Greendale, WI, Mariners Drum and Bugle Corps, the Racine Explorer Scout

Drum and Bugle Corps decided not to merge, but to continue on its own despite its small membershhip. The Racine

Explorer Scouts re-organized as a parade unit for 1975."

So again, you're about right.

But neither Govies nor Racine beat Kidsgrove (senior 1910) or Jubal (junior 1911)...

Too bad Royal Brigade (founded in 1976) folded around 1981. They were a merger of the Meadowlarks - and the C.W. Townsmen, who were founded in 1880.

The Townsmen played at Gen. Grant's funeral, and were part of Benjamin Harrison's Presidential campaign!

Perdue University formed a Drum Corps in 1886 - but switched to a marching band shortly afterwards...

(John Philip Sousa wrote an instruction manual for drums and bugles the same year.)

In Jodeen Popp's book, she mentions the first written account of a D&BC field contest in 1872 in Wallingford, Ct.

Also, Europe (Germany and France) had drum and bugle corps as far back as the 1750's.

So it's all relative and how you promote it.

Heh...

Not taking anything away from Govies or Racine!

They're both wonderful organizations that deserve to be proud of their rich History!

Again, sorry for being so wordy...

And would love to see the Midhsipmen march for once.

Jim, the Interservice drum corps championship will be held this October in Annapolis, the weekend that Air Force plays Navy in football there. Most years, it's been the academy drum corps from Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard in competition (the Coast Guard corps missed one year a few years ago), and it's always a cool show... a lot of fun to watch. And free admission. :thumbup:

In most of the years past, the show has been held at 9 AM the morning of the game at a small stadium on the grounds of the Naval Academy.