Note for Govies for 2012 at Annapolis

Jim, the Interservice drum corps championship will be held this October in Annapolis, the weekend that Air Force plays Navy in football there. Most years, it's been the academy drum corps from Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard in competition (the Coast Guard corps missed one year a few years ago), and it's always a cool show... a lot of fun to watch. And free admission. :thumbup:

In most of the years past, the show has been held at 9 AM the morning of the game at a small stadium on the grounds of the Naval Academy.

Fran's building up a drinkable account too... :tongue: And both Fran and Ron know what Kris and I look like.... :blink:

Fer the record... Lancers started 1920 as the Harold H Bair American Legion Post #14 Hanover, PA. Corps was listed in mid 70s as the longest continually competing corps (think Boys of 76 might have something to say about that) until they folded ca 1984. After a few years the parade/standstill corps started up and is still around. Have some ex-members going back to the 1950s. :worthy: , a few jokers like me who competed against the corps (I know bus songs) and (thank goodness) some youngsters who weren't even alive when the corps competed.

(Sorry this is so wordy - I get a little passionate!)

I went by what they say on their website:

http://www.racinescouts.com/about_us.php

"The Racine Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps is based and housed in Racine, Wisconsin. Started as a Boy Scout of America troop in 1927, the Scouts are the oldest continually competitive Drum Corps in North America as well as the oldest musical scouting unit."

Corpsreps has scores for them in 1973 - and then again starting in 1981.

It's not a complete database yet, as I've been finding out while doing some other research, but it sounds like you're about right.

Then there's this from http://www.racinekiltiealumni.org/Racine_Scouts_pt_3_History_Page.html :

"In 1974 the Racine Explorer Scouts had a hard time recruiting members. What wound up on the field in competition

for this organization in 1974 was known as the Racine-Kenosha Scout Drum and Bugle Corps. They only competed

locally in Class B and small non-DCI competitions. I could only find three contest results for them. At the American

Legion State Championships in Milwaukee on Saturday, July 19th, 1974,the Racine-Kenosha Scouts scored 10.05

points and placed 8th (Last place) in Class B competition. The next day, Sunday, July 20th, 1974, at the Racine

New Day - New Dawn Drum and Bugle Corps Contest at Horlick Field, the Racine-Kenosha Scouts scored 29.4

points to finish in ninth place. (Last place) Then at the "Vibrations '74" Contest in Oshkosh, WI, on Sunday, August

11th, they scored 37.80 for fifth place. (Last place).

"After talking about merging with the Greendale, WI, Mariners Drum and Bugle Corps, the Racine Explorer Scout

Drum and Bugle Corps decided not to merge, but to continue on its own despite its small membershhip. The Racine

Explorer Scouts re-organized as a parade unit for 1975."

So again, you're about right.

But neither Govies nor Racine beat Kidsgrove (senior 1910) or Jubal (junior 1911)...

Too bad Royal Brigade (founded in 1976) folded around 1981. They were a merger of the Meadowlarks - and the C.W. Townsmen, who were founded in 1880.

The Townsmen played at Gen. Grant's funeral, and were part of Benjamin Harrison's Presidential campaign!

Perdue University formed a Drum Corps in 1886 - but switched to a marching band shortly afterwards...

(John Philip Sousa wrote an instruction manual for drums and bugles the same year.)

In Jodeen Popp's book, she mentions the first written account of a D&BC field contest in 1872 in Wallingford, Ct.

Also, Europe (Germany and France) had drum and bugle corps as far back as the 1750's.

So it's all relative and how you promote it.

Heh...

Not taking anything away from Govies or Racine!

They're both wonderful organizations that deserve to be proud of their rich History!

Again, sorry for being so wordy...

:worthy:

I love corps history!!! Now last time I did the research on this I remember finding that Jubal and Kidsgrove didn't compete for an extended period of time... I may be wrong.\\

But with Racine and Govies.... it's kinda a toss up. They've both been around since 1927, I believe they both started competing in the DCM circuit around the same time.

Edited by SilentnDeadly960

all this stuff aside...John. you must meet my wife and pose for a picture. it will make her decade

Ah Ha!!!! You have fallen into my trap!!!!

Need sleep. Set new land speed record this year. 18hrs and no breakdowns.

Congrats to a class act all the way, Cheers Govies! :thumbup: