1957 historic event replayed in 2011

Long ago, the Cavaliers won their first national championship at the VFW contest in 1957. In part they won because they were the only corps to have the newly produced plastic drum heads from Ludwig. It rained the night of Finals and all the other corps played on soggy calf-skin heads. Cavaliers won drums by a goodly margin and thus the championship.

Another corps in green, the Reilly Raiders senior corps, asked to borrow the Cavaliers’ drums with the plastic heads and they too won drums by a goodly margin, and the senior corps championship.

Later that evening a rival junior corps, who had won most of the championships of the 1950s, decided to take out their disappointment against the Cavaliers in the parking lot after the show. They were apparently doing a pretty good job of it too until Reilly Raiders joined the fray and ran them off. Thus a friendship was born.

Fast forward more than 50 years . . .

Jim Costello, a Cavalier alumnus, is having dinner with some old drum corps folks in California a few years ago and the story of the '57 Championships comes up since someone from Reilly Raiders was in attendance. They all discuss maybe doing some sort of commemorative drum exchange as a belated thank you and show of continuing friendship since both corps still exist (Reilly Raiders is currently an excellent Alumni Corps).

A few folks get involved, including Dan Smith and Frank Neill of Reilly Raiders, and with help from Cavalier alums Matt O’Brien, Mike Lorenz, and Paul Milano, a vintage drum is found on eBay just like the Cavaliers used in 1957 and it is restored to look exactly like the drum used in 1957 – complete with an authentic 1957 plastic drum head!

The recent DCA Labor Day weekend festivities became the perfect setting to surprise the Reilly Raiders!

Scotty Wild, Cavalier alum who marched in 1957, made the presentation to the Reilly Raiders, retelling the story of that night more than 50 years ago. In the Reilly Raiders ranks at DCA were five members who marched and fought by the side of the young Cavaliers at that long ago national championship evening. They were in tears as they were handed the drum - this time to keep, not just to borrow.

The DCA executive leadership then heard about the presentation and asked the two corps to repeat the presentation in front of the large crowd of mainly “vintage” audience members in the stands at the Alumni Show on Sunday morning, which Scotty Wild again graciously handled with class as usual.

It was wonderful to witness the continuing friendship between the two corps. Thanks to all involved!

Scottytelling1957story.jpg

Scotty Wild telling the 1957 story to the Reilly Raiders

MilanohandingdrumtoReilly.jpg

Paul Milano handing the drum to Reilly

CavaliersandReillyRaiderspresentation.jpg

Some Cavaliers with members of the 1957 Reilly Raiders

ReillypresentationattheAlumniShow.jpg

1957 Reilly members with Scotty Wild at the DCA Alumni Show

Very cool

Man, I love these stories. Thank you, Paul. :thumbup:

When we are kids and marching - it's resentment and pride and other intangibles that keep the competitive juices flowing - we'd never give an inch to a rival and vice versa.

Long after our marching days have passed - those "issues" seem to diminish and a spirit of kinship, mutual respect and even bonding becomes important. A cold beverage is always a token of friendship. The wins and losses seem less important - it was the participation that matters most.

Stories like this Paul - transcend our activity. Thanks so much for sharing.

The Cavaliers have always been pretty good with "Sharing"...........I recall another lending of those same drums to a certain newly renamed drum corp from New Jersey in Minneapolis,1958. There are a number of pictures floating around showing these young men wearing a uniform very similar to Scout House's, but using drums that had a suspicious "Green Stripe" around the shell!

.....There are a number of pictures floating around showing these young men wearing a uniform very similar to Scout House's, but using drums that had a suspicious "Green Stripe" around the shell!

Any chance you can dig up a photo or two?

1973 we needed contras desperately, so I took one for the team.I switched over from soprano. While on tour,just before we entered the field at a show, my contra fell apart.The Cavies loaned us a horn .The quartermaster from the Cavies told me the story. He said "you know what happened the last time we loaned you guys some equipment? He gave me the whole story.

Edited by Joe S

I found a B&W......."onceuponatime" likely has many more..........there were some color photo's I recall seeing from a Q-master of the era. Don't know who might have access to those anymore. Color pictures were not the norm of the day and far too expensive for the typical corp members.

I am unable to load since I don't have any photobucket account, however if someone would like to follow thru on that aspect I'd be happy to email to them.

From Garfield's Alumni web site:

Color Guard 1958

Garfield 1958