1977 Kilties is DCI Download of the Week

I watched that earlier today.

For any 21st century drum corps fan who wonders what all the old fossils are fussing about, listen to the snare sound the Kilties put out. THAT'S what we're talkin' about! (and don't listen on your cheap laptop speakers, use some good headphones :music:)

+++

Edit: Wow, someone gave me a (-) sign for liking Kilites snare sound.

Cool, I'm worth hating on. I'M SOMEBODY! :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

I watched that earlier today.

For any 21st century drum corps fan who wonders what all the old fossils are fussing about, listen to the snare sound the Kilties put out. THAT'S what we're talkin' about! (and don't listen on your cheap laptop speakers, use some good headphones :music:)

+++

Edit: Wow, someone gave me a (-) sign for liking Kilites snare sound.

Cool, I'm worth hating on. I'M SOMEBODY! :cool:

Removed it for you - it IS an awesome sound!

I was missing '77 from my collection (now all the '70s and most of the '80s are complete), was mighty glad to see it listed and even more glad to see Kilties featured.

Thank you Michael, you help me choose what year I should watch from my legacy collection by finding clips of historic drum corps as i believe thats what they are.... historic. Without these corps then we wouldn't still be here today and without you i probably wouldn't watch drum corps before 1988.

Many Thanks.

Removed it for you - it IS an awesome sound!

Wow, thanks! I didn't know you could do that! :smile:

Now I'm nobody again.:sad:

+++

Seriously, it is hard for someone who became a drum corps fan in this century (2000's) to fully grasp the sounds and excitement of the top corps from those earlier eras. It just sounded different, and it affected you differently than it does now. As a dumb drummer from a very good college drum line, I remember spending a LOT of hours trying to tune our TDR's to get that great snare sound, and the drum corps did it best.

But THEN was not all good, and NOW is not all bad. BAck then we had to sit through a LOT of really smallish, not very good corps to get to the Big Boys, sometimes a corps would only field a dozen kids who were very young and lot very good. I love 'em all, but It was painful to sit through. In today's local shows, it is MUCH better because all the World Class corps put such a highly polished product on the field.

That Kilties drum line and snare sound is a wonderful example of "when you're good, it doesn't matter what era you're from." Good is good.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike .good choice loved the Kilties then and even more now.Congrads Kilties on a great season.

Edited by Florida Sun

Are there any videos from corps that placed out of the top 12 in the late 70's. i marched those years, never made Finals, but I was wondering if there is video from those years available through DCI or another outside organization?

Are there any videos from corps that placed out of the top 12 in the late 70's. i marched those years, never made Finals, but I was wondering if there is video from those years available through DCI or another outside organization?

I haven't found any. This is a period when video cameras were still quite expensive. If it wasn't for PBS coming on board in 1975, we wouldn't even have what we do have. Back then, few realized that these early shows would be in demand in the future.

Thank you Michael, you help me choose what year I should watch from my legacy collection by finding clips of historic drum corps as i believe thats what they are.... historic. Without these corps then we wouldn't still be here today and without you i probably wouldn't watch drum corps before 1988.

Many Thanks.

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Sometimes it's easy for me to wonder if my work has any impact on people, and then I get a note like yours that just makes my day and reminds me why I do this.