Is Madison the new Crown?

:blink:

Madison has had one of the top staffs in drum corps for the past two years. Their placement with these staffs is a matter of record.

They can change the "parts" of the staff - and opt for one high profile "name" over another, they can hype all they want on various forums, but until their design is substantially improved and until they can prove they can recruit a much higher caliber of talent, they are nowhere near the Carolina Crown product, as it stands today.

I root for the continuing existence and success of all drum corps, but honestly I don't think the hyperbole has helped the Scouts at all. A humble, low key, hard working, hard recruiting effort is what's needed now to get these guys near the top 6. Sadly all I see is a repeat of the last few years' "plan".

So, in answer to the initial question of the OP, no.

Lol! :blink:

• Like 1

:blink:

Lol! :blink:

Once again - a girl after my own heart! :tongue:

• Like 1

To that end, I recall one of my Madison Alum friends on here posting back in LATE JULY something about "The Dream Team is gonna fly in for the weekend" and everything is gonna change. Seriously? Call them what you like, but why is the "Premier" staff finally flying in in late July?? Where have they been? Aren't most caption heads on tour? Isn't that what they're paid for?

It ALMOST doesn't matter if the new team is the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker....it seems to me that they need to be on tour with the kids, rewriting, enhancing, and helping them to get better with every show, like most other corps. The boys in Madison deserve that, imo.

Good luck in 2012 guys.

Yeah, the design team and caption heads aren't always there. Some are (like this past season, Lee Beddis was with us for quite a bit), but in general, they sometimes drop in randomly and it's not always at the same time. There are a couple times in the season when everybody comes in together at the same time though, like the end of spring training, a week into tour, finals week.

• 1 month later...

The Scouts are moving back to Madison???

"The Scouts" never left Madison. :rolleyes:

Madison Scouts Address:

2935 S Fish Hatchery Rd #401

Madison, WI 53711

Source: http://madisonscouts.org

So what if they rehearse in Indiana. Corps have been rehearsing outside of their hometowns since the activity began. Doesn't change where their headquarters are. Boston rehearses in Florida - which my the way is smart considering how much outside time they get in the winter when there is several feet of snow on the ground. So don't be "that guy", alright. :angry: Your signature says you are an alumni of the corps for cryin out loud! Be a supporter. Think about how your comment makes any current member of the corps feel.

• Like 3

All Madison needs is a horn line (almost there) a drum line a guard, a show and the ability to execute.

There, thats easy..BTW...Crowns rise started subtlety in 04, it wasn't until 07 when people started to take them seriously.

They got a ways to go. Still, loved the energy and buzz they brought this year.

"A hornline ALMOST THERE"??? What Madison hornline were you listening to last year? Obviously not the line that beat Phantom, SCV and Bluecoats at various points in the season.

"A show and the ability to execute"? Really? No I mean it...REALLY? I've got FIVE words for you...

BIGGEST-CROWD-REACTION-OF-FINALS!

I now have the DVDs and CDs to prove it.

• Like 2

I bet you are. Not gonna happen though. That was a decent attempt to #### off the Madison fans though.

Uhh.....couple of things here. Madison already does a LOT of body/dance movement. In FACT they were one of the first corps to do it way back in the 70s. Madison danced before anyone else ever did. To not realize that is to not truly know the corps' roots. That being said, I have no doubt in my mind that with the new visual staff, they will definitely take the dance element to another level - yet in a way that looks "Madison" (just like they have done for the last two seasons).

Uhh.....couple of things here. Madison already does a LOT of body/dance movement. In FACT they were one of the first corps to do it way back in the 70s. Madison danced before anyone else ever did. To not realize that is to not truly know the corps' roots. That being said, I have no doubt in my mind that with the new visual staff, they will definitely take the dance element to another level - yet in a way that looks "Madison" (just like they have done for the last two seasons).

So glad you could join DCP yesterday so as to teach us all about the Madison Scouts' history today. I can't believe none of us knew these things until now! Thank God! :tongue:

• Like 2

"A hornline ALMOST THERE"??? What Madison hornline were you listening to last year? Obviously not the line that beat Phantom, SCV and Bluecoats at various points in the season.

"A show and the ability to execute"? Really? No I mean it...REALLY? I've got FIVE words for you...

BIGGEST-CROWD-REACTION-OF-FINALS!

I now have the DVDs and CDs to prove it.

1) horn line was definitely one of Scouts' strengths last year. That being said, it doesn't matter if you beat the Top 6 at a random show during the season (of even a regional) if you can't sustain the competitive success up to finals. Scouts were close to SCV (only .2 behind Vanguard in brass), but not really close to Phantom or Bluecoats. Again, brass was a strength for Scouts last year (especially compared to, say, their percussion section) but I think it's objectively fair to say that Madison's horn line is "almost there" when talking about the Top 6 of DCI: after all, Scouts horn line was .8 away from 6th place, which isn't even really ballpark. You could even make an argument that saying Scouts horn line is "almost there" when talking about Top 6 caliber is overstating their improvement over the last few years.

2) saying Scouts need "a show and the ability to execute" seems pretty fair, and to correlate popularity with fans with competitive success is either gravely naive or plain ol' blind bias.

Looking at the design captions, Scouts were a fairly solid 10th place Rep in GE, 11th place Comp in Vis (across the board), and 10th place in Music. Again, they had a sentimental, crowd-favorite show that was fun to watch and enjoy (to be honest, I liked them more each time I saw them and look forward to revisiting their show on the Blu-rays when I get them in the mail this weekend hopefully). But they are still far from a Top 6 caliber contender as far as show design, as well as execution for that matter.

So glad you could join DCP yesterday so as to teach us all about the Madison Scouts' history today. I can't believe none of us knew these things until now! Thank God! :tongue:

Don't be a jerk. Just because I registered yesterday doesn't mean I just learned about the activity yesterday and thought I might come on here and show the world everything I've learned in the last 24 hrs. Come on! Give me the benefit of the doubt that I've been around awhile. Because truthfully, I have.

• Like 1

1) horn line was definitely one of Scouts' strengths last year. That being said, it doesn't matter if you beat the Top 6 at a random show during the season (of even a regional) if you can't sustain the competitive success up to finals. Scouts were close to SCV (only .2 behind Vanguard in brass), but not really close to Phantom or Bluecoats. Again, brass was a strength for Scouts last year (especially compared to, say, their percussion section) but I think it's objectively fair to say that Madison's horn line is "almost there" when talking about the Top 6 of DCI: after all, Scouts horn line was .8 away from 6th place, which isn't even really ballpark. You could even make an argument that saying Scouts horn line is "almost there" when talking about Top 6 caliber is overstating their improvement over the last few years.

2) saying Scouts need "a show and the ability to execute" seems pretty fair, and to correlate popularity with fans with competitive success is either gravely naive or plain ol' blind bias.

Looking at the design captions, Scouts were a fairly solid 10th place Rep in GE, 11th place Comp in Vis (across the board), and 10th place in Music. Again, they had a sentimental, crowd-favorite show that was fun to watch and enjoy (to be honest, I liked them more each time I saw them and look forward to revisiting their show on the Blu-rays when I get them in the mail this weekend hopefully). But they are still far from a Top 6 caliber contender as far as show design, as well as execution for that matter.

You make some very valid points. However, you are incorrect in your G.E. info. Madison was not "a solid 10th" in music effect. I'm looking at the recap on my DVD as I type and they were a healthy 9th in Music Effect. A 17.65 over BK's 17.45 in Music Effect. Over all GE was a 35.20 in 10th to BK's 35.45. Obviously it was the Visual Effect that called 9th place in this case but to say that Madison's design didn't hold up to their competitors is hyperbolic under the conditions of the closeness to these stats. Now, are they a ways away from the top 6 level? Yes, I'm in agreement with you there for sure. As for brass, I'm going to cry foul on that one. I thought they deserved higher. Vanguard (who was 11th either in prelims or semis) should not have even been within striking distance of Scouts in brass. Now, percussion...yeeeeek! Looking forward to what the new percussion team can do with that one. Visual...meh...also excited about the new team.