Is Madison the new Crown?

I'm going to go ahead and risk being annihilated by Scouts honks and say that was the worst show in the long history of the Madison Scouts. Top to bottom, left to right, I have no idea how a design staff thought that that show was suitable for performance in Division 1 drum corps.

I am very happy the Scouts are in a much better place now and am looking forward to what the future holds for them.

Didn't see Relampago, did you?

Didn't see Relampago, did you?

That's the show he was talking about - 2009 "Relampago".

I'm going to go ahead and risk being annihilated by Scouts honks and say that was the worst show in the long history of the Madison Scouts. Top to bottom, left to right, I have no idea how a design staff thought that that show was suitable for performance in Division 1 drum corps.

I know you're referring to 2009 here but being part of the 1976 fiasco I'd say that 1976 "show #1" was by far the worst idea a Madison design staff ever regurgitated. After 1975 (for some reason that I still am not clear on) we had a whole new staff and design team that decided a disco show would be a great follow up to the 1975 blow the stands back show. The fist few shows there was a mixture of golf clapping, silence and cat calls from the audience. Shortly there after we had the old staff back handing out new music to learn while we went on our western tour.

• Like 1

You know as a part of the 2009 fiasco. I have to say we had just as much talent as the 2010 year. Which brings up a point I've wondered at for a few years now. It felt like we were being judged about how clean we are or how well we perform our pieces but how the music and show is designed. Which makes me think that our staff is being judged more then we as performers are being judged.

I am very happy the Scouts are in a much better place now and am looking forward to what the future holds for them.

For a good chuckle, go check out the "Designer's Commentary" from that year on the Fan Network.

You know as a part of the 2009 fiasco. I have to say we had just as much talent as the 2010 year. Which brings up a point I've wondered at for a few years now. It felt like we were being judged about how clean we are or how well we perform our pieces but how the music and show is designed. Which makes me think that our staff is being judged more then we as performers are being judged.

This is true, to an extent, as the quality of the show design and the effect the design generates is just as important as how well the show is performed. The most talented corps in the world will not be able to get far with a horribly designed. Conversely, if a corps is not talented enough to pull off a difficult and well-designed show, they will only get so far competitively on talent alone.

I firmly believe that design drives the score. As an example, I think there are usually only a couple shows that are designed well enough to win in August, and sometimes there is only 1 show on that level.