Is Madison the new Crown?

You make some very valid points. However, you are incorrect in your G.E. info. Madison was not "a solid 10th" in music effect. I'm looking at the recap on my DVD as I type and they were a healthy 9th in Music Effect. A 17.65 over BK's 17.45 in Music Effect. Over all GE was a 35.20 in 10th to BK's 35.45. Obviously it was the Visual Effect that called 9th place in this case but to say that Madison's design didn't hold up to their competitors is hyperbolic under the conditions of the closeness to these stats. Now, are they a ways away from the top 6 level? Yes, I'm in agreement with you there for sure. As for brass, I'm going to cry foul on that one. I thought they deserved higher. Vanguard (who was 11th either in prelims or semis) should not have even been within striking distance of Scouts in brass. Now, percussion...yeeeeek! Looking forward to what the new percussion team can do with that one. Visual...meh...also excited about the new team.

OK, I think you misread what I wrote. I said

Looking at the design captions, Scouts were a fairly solid 10th place Rep in GE

Rep = the design side of both the Vis and Music GE sheets. Using simple math:

* there were three corps who had a 10th place score on a Rep sub-caption (out of the 4 Music & Vis GE judges): Madison Scouts, Blue Knights, Bluecoats

* adding up & dividing each of those corps' Rep sub-captions by 4 (again, 4 judges) gives the following average score/rank of the Rep Sub-caption in GE:

8th place - Bluecoats with GE Rep average of 9.025

9th place - Blue Knights with GE Rep average of 8.975

10th place - Madison Scouts with GE Rep average of 8.75

(FWIW Boston came in 7th in GE Rep)

To be honest, I eyeballed my statement originally, without doing the math (when I said

Looking at the design captions, Scouts were a fairly solid 10th place Rep in GE
so your reply kinda made me take a few minutes and actually do the math to confirm :satisfied:

As for brass, sight whichever performance you want where Scouts beat whomever (in the case above SCV). They did come in 11th at Quarters (though still beat Scouts in the Musicality sub-caption). SCV must've had a rough run that night and bounced back pretty well the rest of the week. Scouts, on the other hand, did similar with their lowest placement also Thursday, before jumping up the next two nights: maybe they had a bad run too? Or maybe the Quarter's judge didn't like either corps that much, I don't know. Facts are that Scouts brass was still pretty far away from Top 6 (and for that matter SCV was too, but we're only talking about Scouts: feel free to start your own thread about whether or not SCV will kick their brass back up to Top 6 with their new staff :lookaround: )

Again, I dug Scouts show, and think they're in a great place to continue to improve and move up the ranks with the right show design and the continued development of all sections of the corps. I don't think anyone will argue with your assessment of Scout's 2011 percussion section, and either way I think there is a TON for all drum corps fans to be excited about with The Scouts in 2012!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Don't be a jerk. Just because I registered yesterday doesn't mean I just learned about the activity yesterday and thought I might come on here and show the world everything I've learned in the last 24 hrs. Come on! Give me the benefit of the doubt that I've been around awhile. Because truthfully, I have.

That's good! You might want to tone it down a bit then.

• Like 1

That's good! You might want to tone it down a bit then.

Excuse me? Tone WHAT down! I stated a FACT about the geographic location of the Madison Scouts. Then, I commented on how Madison has been "dancing" in their show for decades - which is ALSO a "FACT". Then I get blasted by some guy for posting my thoughts after being on here for a day. I've done NOTHING wrong!

• Like 2

whoever scores highest wins

Ding, ding, ding!!! Ladies and gentlemen, DCP Statistics Dept are pleased to present Jeff Ream with....not one but two milestone achievements: The BFO Award and the first poster to reach the 16,000th identical post award. Join us in congratulating Jeff on this momentus, yet annoying, achievement. "It's like being pecked to death by a Duck"!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 2

Excuse me? Tone WHAT down! I stated a FACT about the geographic location of the Madison Scouts. Then, I commented on how Madison has been "dancing" in their show for decades - which is ALSO a "FACT". Then I get blasted by some guy for posting my thoughts after being on here for a day. I've done NOTHING wrong!

I rest my case! Lol! :blink:

• Like 1

I rest my case! Lol! :blink:

That guy needs to chill. :shutup:

• Like 2

The Madison Scouts have nothing to prove. Their reputation has been well established in the Drum Corps world. I mean come on....who the hell never heard of the Madison Scouts?

• Like 2

Until you posted the above :-)

You'll have to excuse some posters here on DCP -- they have twitchy fingers red fingers when you post anything less than ultra-hype about Madison. You just tune them out or drop them in the ignore bucket.

As for your original point (Madison doing more dance this season), we agree. Whether some of their "fans" like it or not, Madison will be moving past the "let's appeal to our base by doing old school Madison designs" if they want to move up in the rankings. And I suspect the infusion of Crown instructors will push that process forward even faster.

This will be an interesting year for Madison in term of design.

Until you posted the above :-)

You'll have to excuse some posters here on DCP -- they have twitchy fingers red fingers when you post anything less than ultra-hype about Madison. You just tune them out or drop them in the ignore bucket.

As for your original point (Madison doing more dance this season), we agree. Whether some of their "fans" like it or not, Madison will be moving past the "let's appeal to our base by doing old school Madison designs" if they want to move up in the rankings. And I suspect the infusion of Crown instructors will push that process forward even faster.

This will be an interesting year for Madison in term of design.

:blink: LOL! It was only a matter of time - peanut gallery and all that! :blink:

• Like 1