Field Pass: The staffs they are a-changin'

Also interviewed in this episode, the one and only Mike Boo. Find out if he's switching teams!

Mike? You're going to DCA?

Garry in Vegas

Mike? You're going to DCA?

Garry in Vegas

BOA? ;-)

BOA? ;-)

I already do BOA Grand Nationals and the BOA Concert Band Festival, plus both WGI guard and percussion weekends. As Colorado's Dave Marvin once stated, I am "the pen of pageantry." :tongue:

What Potter was referring to was the offer for me to cover celebrity tractor pulls at county fairs.

I wish DCI would fix the iTunes Field Pass RSS feed because it hasn't worked in months.

Thank you DCI for fixing the iTunes feed! :thumbup:

Wow...Really great article. Is that field pass thingy always free? That was my first one actually. I know I'm behind. It really was interesting to try and read between lines in some of those answers. I always love Dean's approach to the activity. It was good to hear Glen get some love. He's going to not only rock the drumline there but totally rock the entire music ensemble. He's the best brass instructor that happens to specialize in drums that I know. Seriously, they are going to rock.

• Like 1

Great field pass. It was really nice to hear what Dean Westman was doing these days. I haven't talked to him in a long time. The last time I really had a nice conversation with him was my last year at SCV when he was bragging about his high school band and he had me listen to a recording of them.

They were frigging awesome.

Dean is a stand up guy and a tremendous educator. I have educator friends in Texas and they've let me know that it's nearly impossible to succeed there if you have any creativity (you have to subscribe to what has been successful in the past), but he has proven to me that you can overcome that hurdle. I hope that one day I can work with him again on some level.

Edited by scvjesse

I already do BOA Grand Nationals and the BOA Concert Band Festival, plus both WGI guard and percussion weekends. As Colorado's Dave Marvin once stated, I am "the pen of pageantry." :tongue:

What Potter was referring to was the offer for me to cover celebrity tractor pulls at county fairs.

You could branch out into USSBA, TOC, OMEA, SCSBOA, WBA, Midstates, TBA, NESBA, ISSMA, et cetera... The options are endless and the sky is the limit for Boo! worthy.gif His only enemy is time...

Cool! Looks like if it marches and makes music, you're involved. :thumbup:

Ah, tractor pulls and county fairs--brings back memories. You'd be suprised (or maybe not) at the gigs you get when you're a military musician working for Recruiting. Most of these "events" come under the heading of "We're going to play for WHAT?!?!?!?!" But even the weirdest ones often turned out to be the most fun for both the band and the audience.

You could branch out into USSBA, TOC, OMEA, SCSBOA, WBA, Midstates, TBA, NESBA, ISSMA, et cetera... The options are endless and the sky is the limit for Boo! worthy.gif His only enemy is time...

lol. My biggest enemy is getting tired. At 55, I no longer can go all day, stay up all night and go all day again. Sleep has become more a friend than it should be.