Did this not bother anyone else?

Seeing as how you're a star alum, i feel as though there is a great deal of bias in your opinion

and i do agree that them standing still while playing it was a good idea. If they tried it on the move it probably wouldn't of been as clean. Which could've separated them from winning the Jim Ott, or receiving 2nd place.

Have we forgotten how Star of Indiana and Carolina Crown are two different corps? Star and Crown aren't the only corps to use the "breath, dah" technique.

Yes it is. Playing while marching is easy, and should be done extraordinarily well by any corps who plans on contending for a title.

I think what you're replying to,

DCISuperfan, on 28 September 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Yes I do understand that, but dancing is not harder than running around a field at 200 BPM while playing.

is a common conception that I disagree with. I agree that when we get to the Top 5 or so corps anyone of them should be able to march and play at high tempos and velocity very well, why choreography for brass players is very difficult (it's not like brass players = proficient dancers like color guard members are in Top 5 corps).

Add to that what one other poster mentioned, or at least alluded to: visual demand isn't just running and playing at the same time. The way a horn line is spread out is demand as well, and just as hard if not harder to play in tune spread out than when ketchup/mustard marched & played really fast (I know I'm not the only one who thought of Cadets 2011 as 'ketchup & mustard, right? :tongue:)

Another thing people misunderstand is that it's not 100% about demand, it's about EFFECT. Demand executed perfectly = awesome effect. Demand executed less than perfect does not equal better. Crown's brass was VERY effective, and they executed incredibly well. At the end of the night, that's all that matters when it comes to who's first.

what?

Haha. I'm surprised you are the only one to say anything about that.

You could at least come at me with more than "What?"

Have we forgotten how Star of Indiana and Carolina Crown are two different corps? Star and Crown aren't the only corps to use the "breath, dah" technique.

I too was wondering why someone who marched Star in the 80's/90's would have bias in regards to Crown.

Unless the OP was referring to, "since you marched in a few Ott-winning brass lines and know what it takes to be a Championship caliber brass player, surely you're biased against the arm-chair quarterbacks who don't really have a clue what they're talking about." :ph34r::tongue:

Somehow, though, I doubt it...

• Like 1

I too was wondering why someone who marched Star in the 80's/90's would have bias in regards to Crown.

Unless the OP was referring to, "since you marched in a few Ott-winning brass lines and know what it takes to be a Championship caliber brass player, surely you're biased against the arm-chair quarterbacks who don't really have a clue what they're talking about." :ph34r::tongue:

More like "since you marched in an alumni corps who was directed by the brass caption head of that said corps"

You guys crack me up. Just because you marched in a corps who won a Jim Ott does not make you "all knowing" of brass. It means your team had a more successful band sound than all the others.

I can name atleast 5 people who have a Jim Ott AND a ring who are incapable of playing their horn well, as well as being awful at hearing pitches.

• Like 4

Yes I do understand that, but dancing is not harder than running around a field at 200 BPM while playing unless you are doing some SERIOUS dancing at a professional level. I was refering to the dancing more as a u-turn from where the corps has been in the past more than it wasnt difficult.

actually it can be just as demanding or possibly even more. the amount of physical control while doing some of the body work today in drum corps is more than just running 200 bpm.

and then do it with the ensemble spreads.

• Like 1

actually it can be just as demanding or possibly even more. the amount of physical control while doing some of the body work today in drum corps is more than just running 200 bpm.

and then do it with the ensemble spreads.

As usual, i will intervene with your arguments.

Would you like to find out from someone whose actually marched crown and cavaliers? Both are opposites. One is big on drill. The other is big on dance.

his name is tanner. He's one of 2 three year crown vets (07,08,09) who went to cavaliers this summer. From what i heard of the members, they say things were a tad more difficult than when they were at crown.

also,XtraordinarY wasn't on the same difficulty level as Mad World. So there's your answer. Take it with a grain of salt if you like. Just giving you some info from a members perspective.

• Like 3

Yogi-

I will let others that have spent time with me assess my qualifications as a brass player and/or abililties to assess whether a hornline is using great technique and producing great sound as well.

I have no bias to Crown because they have been labeled the new Star of Indiana. I think that is an insult to what Crown has accomplished as they are their own entity and other than having a staff that grew up in the Star ranks there are no correlations between the two.

My observations of Crown's hornline are very unbiased other than I love the way they approach ensemble brass playing and the sound and clarity which they achieved this year.

To me great hornlines produce balanced sound with great attention to detail not only from a balance and blend but also from a clarity of the sound and silence that makes up music. Let me hear a solid attack and release with full balanced sound in between and that makes my day.

And one last thing that those that I have marched with and spent time with can tell you..... If a corps is using what we called the "program" I will listen to it with even more critical ears than corps that approach brass playing differently. I cannot stand when a hornline gives up the little #### and doesn't address every detail.

As I have said a few times since August..... I feel the Crown hornline from this year has raised the bar as the most complete hornline in DCI history. Yes we all have our opinion but prior to this year when I would listen to lines for balance, blend, pure sound and clarity I always did compare them to our line of 1992. There is now a new sheriff in town from my perspective.

• Like 7