Electronics in the 2012 season

That seems kind of... silly really. Just let them mic them all if that's their inclination. Arrangers need the liberty to make 3rd trumpets heard just as well as 1st trumpets, and it seems like their designs will not get heard correctly if the fullness of the parts is only partly cutting through the accordion, oboe, cello and falling bass notes.

Mike

I do think that mic-ing brass instruments isn't an especially great add to the rulebook. However, I'm sure the music arrangers won't just add mic-ing for volume on top of the already loud corps. At least, hopefully they would use brass microphone enhancement in tasteful and musical ways. That's what I was saying about the synth and pit electronic additions - I am predicting this upcoming season will show more tasteful and musical inclusion of the electronics, not just additional noise to make things louder and lower.

The real question is how many waffle irons can they use simultaneously in the pit during a performance?

Well in the 2010 season, Crown did have a coffee pot for those extra long, mid-afternoon blocks after lunch. =p

Edited by thriving11
  • Like 2

Something important to consider before lighting the fire under everyone's butt:

• ALL THE CORPS use electronics. So saying "this corps uses too much electronics" or "people should use less electronics, like this corps" is a little irrational, because all the corps are using them. Even simply mic-ing the front ensemble is a "use of electronics", and all the corps have additional things like synthesizers and samplers and xylo-synths and electronic drum pads. Technology and music advance in correlation to each other, and so DCI utilizes technology because it is a musical event.

The topic question is this: What will become of the electronics?

In this past season, several corps only use electronics in the form of instrument microphone setup. Then there are corps (like Cavaliers or Blue Stars in their preshow) that play pre-recorded samples. Then there are corps (Like Crown and their two synth players) that use the electronics less as an effect and more as an actual musical instrument, having actual trained pianists playing well-written, musical parts.

I like the effects that can be produced with electronic synthesized noise that couldn't be created before, but I also very much like the idea of using the electronic synths as musical parts that are just as important as, say, the xylo or the glock or the marimba.

Prediction: This coming season will show many corps including a synthesizer as an actual musical instrument and not a background, chordal effect.

as long as it is balanced musically, or adjudicated correctly when it's not balanced musically, I say go for it. The issue has been, IMO, far less what the corps are doing and far more what the judges aren't doing.

That doesn't seem to have been much of a problem for many corps (Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom, Teal, Devils, Surf, etc). I think you're grasping at straws here.

or indoor units. many of them use regular keyboard players who also have some piano talent

as long as it is balanced musically, or adjudicated correctly when it's not balanced musically, I say go for it. The issue has been, IMO, far less what the corps are doing and far more what the judges aren't doing.

I COMPLETELY agree with this.

The Synth 1 player from Crown this year said that percussion judges never spoke about his playing in their tapes. He was a feature soloist and was playing a Rachmaninoff piano concerto, and judges didn't even mention him. His part was a crucial, essential part to the musical design of the show and the percussion book, yet was completely not recognized by the percussion judge himself.

I think your prediction is based on corps being able to find..."trained pianists" who want to pay $3000 for a summer playing in front of a marching band. Especially with all those silly uniform things...and they would have to push around the synthsizer themselves? Really? And I have to practice all day outside? In the hot sun?

I can tell you that I personally have had more and more people every year ask me what it's like to play piano for a drum corps, both at shows/clinics and on facebook. I think what's been happening is that as corps get their hands on more talented synth players, they've been writing more interesting and prominent parts for us; then, that gets the attention of high school/college-age pianists who may not have realized there was a place for them in DCI. I don't have a lot of examples off the top of my head, but my sense watching the shows this year vs 2009 is that the piano parts were much, much more prominent and fun to play, and that's what'll draw classically-trained pianists to drum corps.

• Like 4

I can tell you that I personally have had more and more people every year ask me what it's like to play piano for a drum corps, both at shows/clinics and on facebook. I think what's been happening is that as corps get their hands on more talented synth players, they've been writing more interesting and prominent parts for us; then, that gets the attention of high school/college-age pianists who may not have realized there was a place for them in DCI. I don't have a lot of examples off the top of my head, but my sense watching the shows this year vs 2009 is that the piano parts were much, much more prominent and fun to play, and that's what'll draw classically-trained pianists to drum corps.

Here he is, ladies and gentlemen. Nick Starr (the synth who was playing Rachmaninoff's concertos without being recognized by the percussion judges) has joined the thread.

What he says is exactly right. Also, for all the people here who aren't parents, but rather students, think about this: There are more than just brass and percussionists in high school band programs. Woodwinds don't have a place in DCI. Now, think about how many of these woodwinds are in their school's marching bands and wish they could march DCI, but can't. NOW think about how many of them also play piano.

Just another gateway in addition to Nick's that will lead trained pianists to the world of DCI.

Here he is, ladies and gentlemen. Nick Starr (the synth who was playing Rachmaninoff's concertos without being recognized by the percussion judges) has joined the thread.

What he says is exactly right. Also, for all the people here who aren't parents, but rather students, think about this: There are more than just brass and percussionists in high school band programs. Woodwinds don't have a place in DCI. Now, think about how many of these woodwinds are in their school's marching bands and wish they could march DCI, but can't. NOW think about how many of them also play piano.

Just another gateway in addition to Nick's that will lead trained pianists to the world of DCI.

Sorry, that argument is a crutch. That didn't stop the asst. director, a bassoon player, at my kid's school. She played bari a couple seasons (2008-9) with Bluecoats. It also didn't stop the many ww players that I marched with personally through the years.

Sorry, that argument is a crutch. That didn't stop the asst. director, a bassoon player, at my kid's school. She played bari a couple seasons (2008-9) with Bluecoats. It also didn't stop the many ww players that I marched with personally through the years.

It is a crutch for them, that's true. I guess the point I was making is that many band kids began their music with piano lessons (like probably a good third of us), and a lot of the woodwind players who could learn a brass instrument don't. When piano parts (actual musically written piano parts) become available, woodwind kids with piano background who aren't driven enough to learn a new brass instrument can now audition on something. It just adds another group of potential auditioning bodies - percussion, guard, brass, woodwinds who learn brass, and now woodwinds who play piano. You know what I mean?