Should We.....

The Dream was a great show..I marched it in 70 and 71...though for whatever reason it was never one of our better efforts. I liked the World Open and the Shriners.

I would think a sitar is legal, if a guitar is legal. Hmmm...sounds like a great idea if it is.

I agree on the oboe...would love to have a corps be able to use one, probably micced in the pit as I did a few years ago with the band I write for...though I used a micced English Horn and not an oboe...love the sound!

I like the sound of an oboe...

as it burns

:devil:

• Like 1

PepsiCo. lost their rears doing X Factor this year.

Think Yamaha, Ziljian, etc. Drum corps has not been very successful getting many corporate sponsorships from outside the music/marching sphere. There was that one discounter from the south....Wright...I think that was it. But, they went belly up.

And the way it works now...Sponsors give money to DCI and DCI sponsors the major season events. The sponsors get ads and banners.

Understood - I was simply screwing around. Reading the description got the image stuck in my head, had to make it to get it out... :tongue:

I think if there was a way to engage the larger corporate sponsors to DC, it would have already been attempted.

Although I like to think Drum Corps is far superior to 4/5s of the crap out there that does get sponsored.

Understood - I was simply screwing around. Reading the description got the image stuck in my head, had to make it to get it out... :tongue:

I think if there was a way to engage the larger corporate sponsors to DC, it would have already been attempted.

Although I like to think Drum Corps is far superior to 4/5s of the crap out there that does get sponsored.

It's all about what you can get the viewing public to watch. In two experiments since 1976...(PBS and ESPN2) the public voted. Drum Corps does not have the necessary audience for big time advertisers outside their sphere.

It's always tempting to resurrect the past. But it usually ends up being a disappointment. Sure, you could slap the name U.S. Open on a new show, but it would never be the same. The magic is in the past . . . treasure the memory of it, but don't try to bring it back. Focus on the present and future instead.

Just don't focus on a future that's as magical as mythical as the rose-colored past, no matter how much meaningless business jargon you dress it up in, and no matter how "simple" it supposedly is to realize. That's as irrational and as emotionally charged as those who look back on the "Golden Age" and want to bring it back.

all one has to do is look as before at ALL your other posts and how much of an authority you are on just about every subject...I say step up to the plate..talk to the right people...get you PLANS in motion where it can do some good and we can all watch and learn :rolleyes:

I would only claim to be any sort of authority in an area where I have had both considerable success and genuine failure.

To be more open... I've had some wins and some absolute catastrophic failures (there have been times where I have had debts far greater than DCI's annual revenue, for example). I've absolutely lost my ### twice... I mean everything... flat ### broke... and I'll likely #### it all up again at some point if I keep taking risks... but for this small snapshot in time I'm up.

In perspective, right now... this moment... I'm a few laps ahead of where Cook was at around my age... though he was a much smarter, kinder, more humble individual... so, I doubt I'll keep pace.

I care a lot about drum corps, and would love to support it more. I am still trying to figure out what the best way to do this might be.

Anyway, I'm not saying I am always right, but there are a few areas where I have confidence in what I am speaking about based on the scale of success and depth of failure (often for stupid and preventable reasons) in these sectors. Take it for what you will.

Edited by danielray

I would only claim to be any sort of authority in an area where I have had both considerable success and genuine failure.

To be more open... I've had some wins and some absolute catastrophic failures (there have been times where I have had debts far greater than DCI's annual revenue, for example). I've absolutely lost my ### twice... I mean everything... flat ### broke... and I'll likely #### it all up again at some point if I keep taking risks... but for this small snapshot in time I'm up.

In perspective, right now... this moment... I'm a few laps ahead of where Cook was at around my age... though he was a much smarter, kinder, more humble individual... so, I doubt I'll keep pace.

I care a lot about drum corps, and would love to support it more. I am still trying to figure out what the best way to do this might be.

Anyway, I'm not saying I am always right, but there are a few areas where I have confidence in what I am speaking about based on the scale of success and depth of failure (often for stupid and preventable reasons) in these sectors. Take it for what you will.

Yeah, comparing yourself to Bill Cook. Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I'll give you one example...merely one. French Lick, Indiana. Go look at what he did for that once forgotten area of his home state.

And what did you invent?

Yeah, comparing yourself to Bill Cook. Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I'll give you one example...merely one. French Lick, Indiana. Go look at what he did for that once forgotten area of his home state.

And what did you invent?

Wasn't comparing myself to him as an individual or innovator or even an all around guy. He was a great guy. I'm sort of a jerk. smile.gif

There are many paths to revenue besides invention.

Anyway, it is valuable to compare yourself to individuals you respect and wish to emulate. You might not ever hit the target, but you'll at least be aiming in the right direction.

In perspective, right now... this moment... I'm a few laps ahead of where Cook was at around my age... though he was a much smarter, kinder, more humble individual... so, I doubt I'll keep pace. I care a lot about drum corps, and would love to support it more. I am still trying to figure out what the best way to do this might be.

for emphasis...where YOU...compared yourself...to Bill Cook.

Have a good day, as I move to place you in my ignore pile...troll me thinks.

• Like 1