Instructor Salary Cap

As a sort of spin-off on the 'Staff or Talent' thread, I wonder how it might work if DCI established a salary cap (for instructors), or some sort of 'talent cap' for members.

Yes, I am aware it is probably a violation of the First Amendment (free speech).

I am also aware that it is way too long before June...

As a sort of spin-off on the 'Staff or Talent' thread, I wonder how it might work if DCI established a salary cap (for instructors), or some sort of 'talent cap' for members.

Yes, I am aware it is probably a violation of the First Amendment (free speech).

I am also aware that it is way too long before June...

Constitutional free speech only applies to Government regulations. An organization apart from the government can curtail any speech it wants within the confines of it's organization (just ask the DCP mods). As for salary caps, you would be opening a huge can of worms because for that to work "correctly" like the NFL you would also have to have a performer draft like the NFL, and free agency just like the NFL. And I do not think DCI wants to go in that direction.

Edited by Stu

It would be no more a violation of free speech than the NFL salary cap and floor, the luxury tax in MLB, and so on.

It would be silly though. So long as members are paying to play there should be no caps or restrictions of any kind (excepting the obvious things like age limits). Let the most successful corps reap all the benefits of their success, and let the less successful corps find a way to emulate it.

I'm a little bored right now so I'll play...

What are you suggesting? Maybe a week long audition between Christmas and New Years Day similar to a NFL combine? A member "draft" kind of thing? I don't think anything like this will ever happen but it is interesting to theorize the possibility.

Would it be possible to have all the brass show up at a University somewhere, the drummers at another, the guard at another and pull something like this off?

I understand this is all hypothetical.

I'm a little bored right now so I'll play...

What are you suggesting? Maybe a week long audition between Christmas and New Years Day similar to a NFL combine? A member "draft" kind of thing? I don't think anything like this will ever happen but it is interesting to theorize the possibility.

Would it be possible to have all the brass show up at a University somewhere, the drummers at another, the guard at another and pull something like this off?

I understand this is all hypothetical.

The 2012 DCI draft in action: The best new trumpet player is drafted by Legends (who traded a snare player to the last place Spirit of New Jersey to get first pick this season); next up is Blue Saints who takes a great kid on marimba; the Racine Scouts take a bye because they earlier traded two potential drum majors to Music City for one great color guard member;….. time goes on… Crown lost a fabulous mellophone player to the Cadets due to free agency so let’s see who they get as a draft replacement, what a surprise Crown went with beefing up their lower end by securing a top notch tuba player.

Is this what we really want to happen in DCI?

Edited by Stu

The 2012 DCI draft in action: The best new trumpet player is drafted by Legends (who traded a snare player to the last place Spirit of New Jersey to get first pick this season); next up is Blue Saints who takes a great kid on marimba; the Racine Scouts take a bye because they earlier traded two potential drum majors to Music City for one great color guard member;….. time goes on… Crown lost a fabulous mellophone player to the Cadets due to free agency so let’s see who they get as a draft replacement, what a surprise Crown went with beefing up their lower end by securing a top notch tuba player.

Is this what we really want to happen in DCI?

No, but it would make for an interesting draft day. :tongue:

A system like this would make DCI have more parity tho... in theory.

Note: Not for it. Don't agree with it. Just bored. :smile:

I think you VASTLY overestimate what most corps instructors make. It's a pittance. But the problem you'd run into isn't free speech, it's labor laws. Salary caps can only apply when collectively bargained. And since there's no such thing as an "Instructor's Union", that ain't happening anytime soon.

No, but it would make for an interesting draft day. :tongue:

A system like this would make DCI have more parity tho... in theory.

Note: Not for it. Don't agree with it. Just bored. :smile:

Universities do not draft. Why? Because the students pay the university not the other way around. Same holds true for drum corps.