Instructor Salary Cap

Just look up and read each corps 990 forms. Since the corps are 501c3 non-profits all that information is public.

I have on several occasions. I prepare one in fact.

With several of the top organizations, it's quite difficult to simply look at the compensation line, because the organization does much more than a single world class drum corps. For example, BD operates multiple ensembles, and operates a multi-million dollar bingo operation. There is much more to the salary line than BD. The same can be said for many of the other top ensembles.

If you look at the corps that are essentially just a world class corps, their salary numbers are fairly comparable. When you consider the staff size, it's easy to see that noone is making much money from this activity.

Just look up and read each corps 990 forms. Since the corps are 501c3 non-profits all that information is public.

You do not typically see instructors salaries on a form 990. You will see the exec director, any paid officers, and perhaps one or two additional key managers. That is typically it, and if you do look at them you will find that they are not paid all that well. They do often sacrifice income for the sake of the activity they love.

With several of the top organizations, it's quite difficult to simply look at the compensation line, because the organization does much more than a single world class drum corps. For example, BD operates multiple ensembles, and operates a multi-million dollar bingo operation. There is much more to the salary line than BD. The same can be said for many of the other top ensembles.

If you look at the corps that are essentially just a world class corps, their salary numbers are fairly comparable. When you consider the staff size, it's easy to see that noone is making much money from this activity.

arranging/caption head is where most of the money is at

arranging/caption head is where most of the money is at

Bingo. So take staff pay from the 990 and divide it into the 4 captions. Once you consider the caption head/deisgner and the techs, again, you will see that noone is getting rich on this activity.

Without naming names or corps, suffice it to say "more than a few" Executive Directors are commanding a healthy salary (but not as much as they would command in the private sector); Show Designers and Caption Heads are being compensated well but not enough to quit their day jobs; and techs are paid enough to fairly compensate their instructional time and flights to/from camps.

You do not typically see instructors salaries on a form 990. You will see the exec director, any paid officers, and perhaps one or two additional key managers. That is typically it, and if you do look at them you will find that they are not paid all that well. They do often sacrifice income for the sake of the activity they love.

If you look at the 990's, most corps show the staff pay in a separate line in their expense detail. The pay you referred to above is listed in the appropriate line item on the expense detail page. And yes, most are not paid very well - especially if you consider the number of hours they put in, and the odd hours they keep.

Bingo. So take staff pay from the 990 and divide it into the 4 captions. Once you consider the caption head/deisgner and the techs, again, you will see that noone is getting rich on this activity.

Never said anyone was getting rich; but did say they were not just doing it out of "love" but also for fair compensation.

Without naming names or corps, suffice it to say "more than a few" Executive Directors are commanding a healthy salary (but not as much as they would command in the private sector); Show Designers and Caption Heads are being compensated well but not enough to quit their day jobs; and techs are paid enough to fairly compensate their instructional time and flights to/from camps.

The few you are referring to are not simply running a world class corps. Their organizations are much more than that. Compensation should follow suit. As for the rest of the staff, see my eariler posts. Noone is making much money of this activity - espceially techs.

Never said anyone was getting rich; but did say they were not just doing it out of "love" but also for fair compensation.

Do the math I suggested, then consider it's a job that calls for work 7 days a week, 14+ hours per day for three consecutive months. You'd be hard pressed to say most of the staff are NOT doing it for the love of the activity (and perhaps building their resume to help them land educational positions). Their pay is less than minimum wage if they were paid hourly.

The few you are referring to are not simply running a world class corps. Their organizations are much more than that. Compensation should follow suit. As for the rest of the staff, see my eariler posts. Noone is making much money of this activity - espceially techs.

See my post #37