Best Marching Shoes

Asics or NB for rehearsal. I am a fan of Dinkles for performance. They are the best looking performance shoe IMO and they are good enough for marching. I know I have never had a problem marching straight leg in Dinkles. However... standing still for long periods of time is a killer in Dinkles.

Dinkles are incredibly uncomfortable, IMO. I dont care how they look on the outside if I cant perform the same way as I do in rehearsal.

I loved my Vipers because of the flexibility. But the best performance shoes for me are the new System Blue Drillmasters. I really hated the regular Drillmasters in HS, so I was bummed when I heard we were switching over at BD. But the system blues are very different. If I'm not mistaken, Todd Ryan designed them from the ground up, and they are incredible.

For rehearsal shoes, I like Pumas. At BD they are really popular - probably because it is so easy to point your toes, jazz walk, jazz run, all that ballet stuff we do. But it seems not many people on here like them as much as I do.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to use reebok. Believe it or not. The Realflex are amazing! And so are my zigsonics!

Edited by NewTuba2011

For rehearsal shoes, I like Pumas. At BD they are really popular - probably because it is so easy to point your toes, jazz walk, jazz run, all that ballet stuff we do. But it seems not many people on here like them as much as I do.

The only problem with Pumas is the lack of a strong outsole at the front of the foot. It's almost ridiculous how thin it is compared to other shoes. That being said, I've never used them for drum corps, so I'm not bashing them for rehearsal wear. Just stating an observation!

How well did the Realflex hold up during the season? Seems like they'd break down pretty quickly. Same for Free runs.

I haven't marched a corps season yet, but I have had my Realflex for two marching seasons in high school. And we run basics pretty intense. (for high school)

Back when I marched, I wore Saucony because I have a very narrow heel. I HATED the uniform shoes (Bates if I remember correctly) we wore, they where like old fashion nurses shoes with a fat heel. When I stated that to other member, I thought I was going to be killed because their was a sense of pride in those clunkers.

Nowadays with the groups I teach, I'm pushing lighter weight cross-trainers. Sure, they are harder to march in if you preach maximum toe height (I don't) but running shoes no longer meet the demands we put on marchers. With all the body movement and dance elements, you need support latterly as well.

As far as performance shoe... I like the Vipers because the flexibility and I teach a straight leg style.