whats wrong with BOA?

I just got home from the local band review where there was at least 30 high school bands and I saw the top 15 or so. I was very impressed! It's just like back in the 70's where every other town had a drum and bell corps or a D&B. Now it's the high schools doing it.

Casey Brohard's drumline stole the show! They are good cross town rivals! (we still had the best pit though)

• Like 3

So much of the initial success of the competitive high school marching band activity was due to instructors who came out of drum corps. So many kids get their marching activities fix in their high school band, there is less incentive for all but those really into it to go on to drum corps. In a strange sense, drum corps' success in innovation and prestige helped propel the ever-increasing impact of high school marching bands.

• Like 8

I've been going to a few local band shows, and basically my thoughts are as follows:

Many band programs are really suffering from the recent cuts. It's a shame to see a Texas 5A or 4A school (i.e. BIG) with a band program with less than 60 kids.

Those that are still going strong are doing good work. I'm seeing strong movement skills out there and those who can afford custom arrangements/drill are also able to afford lots of techs. Band booster clubs are clearly making a difference in those schools. (usually stronger in the affluent districts)

What bothers me most: balance of sound. One band I saw recently - and a really good one at that - had all of their upper woodwinds marching on side 2 almost the entire time. It was like sitting in front of a pair of speakers in which one speaker was not connected correctly.

Speaking of speakers: amplified solos for woodwinds have gotten better for those upper tier bands with the money to get what they want. But it really bugs me to see any soloist on the field near a hash but having the sound coming out of a speaker up front. It's jarring to my senses. Bring them up. That's a lot less discombobulating, IMO.

So, nothing is wrong with BOA. Bands are serving their constituents. It's just not as exciting for me as drum corps. It's like watching minor league baseball. There are some really great teams out there, but it's just not the majors.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the marching band activity (though Wisconsin's marching bands are not quite National Contender quality), but I'm wondering why this topic is in this forum?

Was the OP going somewhere with his question (What's wrong with BOA?), that somehow related to or connected with DCI World Class Discussions, but perhaps didn't complete the thought? I'm sure that we can all probably contribute something that could turn the discussion in a direction relating to DCI World Class issues, as Mr. Boo somewhat did, but I'm curious about the OP's intent. Is there more to offer that would make it more relevant toward fitting the forum?

I'm a fan of the marching band activity (though Wisconsin's marching bands are not quite National Contender quality), but I'm wondering why this topic is in this forum?

Was the OP going somewhere with his question (What's wrong with BOA?), that somehow related to or connected with DCI World Class Discussions, but perhaps didn't complete the thought? I'm sure that we can all probably contribute something that could turn the discussion in a direction relating to DCI World Class issues, as Mr. Boo somewhat did, but I'm curious about the OP's intent. Is there more to offer that would make it more relevant toward fitting the forum?

I certainly can't speak for the OP, but I think they were primarily referring to the fact that so many communities once had drum corps and now the mantle of that role of civic pride has been assumed by today's marching bands.

• Like 1

I certainly can't speak for the OP, but I think they were primarily referring to the fact that so many communities once had drum corps and now the mantle of that role of civic pride has been assumed by today's marching bands.

Okay, I can go with that, though the title of the thread would seem a bit off... at least to me.

I also want to be clear that my inquiry wasn't meant to be a criticism, but more of a probe into the OP's question. When writing, I sometimes find myself starting out with a specific thought or idea, but by the time I finish writing, I realize that I somehow went down a different path than originally intended. I just want to give the OP a chance to expand... maybe just for my own limited ability to "get it." :smile:

• Like 1

I'm sure that we can all probably contribute something that could turn the discussion in a direction relating to DCI World Class issues, as Mr. Boo somewhat did, but I'm curious about the OP's intent. Is there more to offer that would make it more relevant toward fitting the forum?

Alas, I know of Mr. Flammaster from another forum. I know we are not supposed to expose personal information, but in this case, I must, because I think it will help you understand the reasons why his sensibilities and thinking is so disjointed; he's a drummer.

Pray for him.

+++

I don't think any BOA winner would finish in the top ten at DCI, and certainly could not touch Ble Devils, Cadets or Cavaliers. OTOH, think the 20th ranked BOA finisher would beat the 20th ranked DCI corps.

There. Now we have a legitimate World Class thread! :cool:

+++

/humorous, begin soapbox editorializing: We don't have such a place on DCP Planet, but it seems like the World Class forum is the right place for a few general interest subjects. For me, if I don't like a subject, I just read the next one,no big deal, and I don't feel the need to squash anybody else's topic. I don't think a slightly off-topic opinion hurts anybody.

Can't we all just get along? :w00t:

/stupid comments from wvu80

Edited by wvu80

I always hated marching band but the quality of sound these days is so good I am very much impressed. There were 3 drum corps there seeking members. BD, Renegades and Mandarins. I stopped off at the BD booth and said hi to Gail Shultz.

• Like 1

I always hated marching band but the quality of sound these days is so good I am very much impressed. There were 3 drum corps there seeking members. BD, Renegades and Mandarins. I stopped off at the BD booth and said hi to Gail Shultz.

Oh boy does that bring back memories. In the early 70's we on the East Coast couldn't figure out how these West Coast corps managed to get so good so fast. We finally realized that we were still taking kids right off the street and training them from square one, whereas many of the West Coast corps were tapped into the regional bands for recruiting purposes and it paid off with interest at our expense. Oh well, that's life. :smile:

Okay, I can go with that, though the title of the thread would seem a bit off... at least to me.

Judging from the tenor of his post, I would guess that his rhetorical (maybe?) question has to do with his amazement with the high quality of bands he saw. In this forum, as in many drum corps discussions, bringing up marching band is seemingly a connotation for bad: either quality wise, instrumentation, design trends, etc. I took the OP as saying something to the effect of, "I don't know why people look down on marching band. I just got home from the local band review where there was at least 30 high school bands and I saw the top 15 or so. I was very impressed! It's just like back in the 70's where every other town had a drum and bell corps or a D&B. Now it's the high schools doing it..."

• Like 2