Drugs & Drum Corps

Being around this activity for over 40 years and having known many people in the activity through the years, I can say some of the guys that "do it for the kids" these days were some of the biggest abusers back in the day. Still makes me snicker when you read the word "education" used with so many of the corps these days.

just my 2 cents.

• Like 4

I think that the worst of it were the early 70's. Back then everyone either had some pot (among other things) or knew somebody who did. Looking back on it it was pretty crazy.

I couldn't say which era was "the worst of it". I 'm not even sure anybody else could as well. My guess is that more people in Drum Corps took more "drugs" in the 40's, 50's and 60's, as more than half the teenagers smoked back then. ( nicotine is not only a drug, it is a highly addictive " drug " ) So from a " worst of it standpoint" the era before the 70's more than likely saw more "drug" useage. Also, the Senior Corps after the war required marchers to be veterans or members of a VFW or AL Vetrans post and over the age of 21. Since the legal drinking age was over 21 in many states back then, and there were a few hundred competing Senior Corps back with the average age around 23-30, we can assume that there was more useage of the drug of alcohol consumed back then as well.These were hardened, grissled men back from the War or military service at this time. All the Veteran posts that sponsored Corps, and where most practices were held, had a bar, bartender, and tables. So a conducive environment for alcohol use was all around. Lots of alcohol was consumed as a result, and most vets back then were smoking cigarettes and/ or cigars.... a few with chewing tobacco. ( not much pot useage back then ) Remember, this was before cancer was linked to tobacco useage by all leading health researchers and the US Surgeon General, and before we saw the media banning of tobacco advertisements too back then.

Edited by BRASSO

When I marched (years in signature) there were people that smoked pot. As someone else mentioned, there also seems to be some alcohol issues among staff members. There were also kids that loaded up on [off the shelf] painkillers to get through some rehearsals. There is also free day drinking that sometimes goes overboard involving both 21 year olds and underage drinkers, and coming out to finals retreat drunk (this last instance was well discussed on DCP).

Edited by soccerguy315

I couldn't say which era was "the worst of it". I 'm not even sure anybody else could as well. How do we know the 40's, 50's, 60's ( for example )were not " the worst of it " ? My guess is that more people in Drum Corps took more "drugs" in the 40's, 50's and 60's, as more than half the teenagers smoked back then. ( nicotine is not only a drug, it is a highly addictive " drug " ) So from a " worst of it standpoint" the era before the 70's more than likely saw more "drug" useage. The Senior Corps after the war required marchers to be veterans or members of a VFW or AL Vetrans post and over the age of 21. Since the legal drinking age was over 21 in many states back then, and there were a few hundred competing Senior Corps back with the average age around 23-30, we can assume that there was more useage of the drug of alcohol consumed back then as well. All the Veteran posts that sponsored Corps, and where most practices were held, had a bar, bartender, and tables. So the environment for alcohol use was all around. Lots of alcohol was consumed as a result, and most vets back then were smoking cigarettes and/ or cigars.... a few with chewing tobacco. ( not much pot useage back then ) Remember, this was before cancer was linked to tobacco useage too back then.

We aren't talking about smoking or drinking and everyone reading this thread knows it.

We aren't talking about smoking or drinking and everyone reading this thread knows it.

Well, why not ?

The drugs of alcohol, tobacco has destroyed more lives and families by far than any other "drugs" in the world one can cite.

What " drugs " are you in particular thinking about that you want to personally limit the drug discussion to?

I certainly did not think of limiting the " drug " useage question to " drugs " that are less prevalent and less dangerous to one's health, ie pot, or pain killers. ( and " no ", I 'm not endorsing these, as I have no use for potheads. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Well, why not ?

The drugs of alcohol, tobacco has destroyed more lives and families by far than any other "drugs" in the world one can cite.

What " drugs " are you in particular thinking about that you want to personally limit the drug discussion to?

I certainly did not think of limiting the " drug " useage question to " drugs " that are less prevalent and less dangerous to one's health, ie pot, or pain killers. ( and " no ", I 'm not endorsing these, as I have no use for potheads. )

...because those issues, while important, are clearly not what the thread is getting at. It's clearly about illicit drugs. Let's stop splitting hairs. Smoking is bad. Alcohol is a drug. There. We've covered it.

The thread is about the use of controlled substances and the abuse of OTC drugs. Both of these are prevalent issues in society (as are the issues you mentioned; please don't misunderstand me.)

• Like 1

...because those issues, while important, are clearly not what the thread is getting at. It's clearly about illicit drugs. Let's stop splitting hairs. Smoking is bad. Alcohol is a drug. There. We've covered it.

The thread is about the use of controlled substances and the abuse of OTC drugs. Both of these are prevalent issues in society (as are the issues you mentioned; please don't misunderstand me.)

I think you need to reread ( or read for the first time ) the replys so far on this thread. Some of the posters were not talking about " staff " misuse of " painkillers " and OTC drugs one gets at Walgreen. or Osco's, DrillmanSop06.... I think that its you that narrowed the scope of the OP's thread to the " over the counter " variety of " drugs " or " controlled substance " drugs.

Recreational use of drugs is bad. Its terrible and wrong. Period. Does it really matter what particular drugs used for recreation messed up a person... whether it's a marcher or staff member ?

This thread serves no purpose by the way, imo. Airing out ones bad laundry in a public manner doesn't make the 'hood a livable place, ya know ? So whats the point ?

My guess, one could visit just about any towns homes or college dorm or young person hang out in the city or ' burbs, or rural town this weekend, and find more " drug useage " among young people and adults than in any DCI's year's Corps 9 week summers of marchers and staffs. Whether it was 1960,'70,80', '90 or even 2011. So whats the point of this thread... really ?

Edited by BRASSO

I think you need to reread ( or read for the first time ) the replys so far o this thread. Some of the posters were not talking about " staff " misuse of " painkillers " and OTC drugs one gets at Walgreen. or Osco's, DrillmanSop06.... I think that its you that narrowed the scope of the OP's thread to the " over the counter " variety of " drugs " or " controlled substance " drugs.

Recreational use of drugs is bad. Period. Does it really matter what particular drugs used for recreation messed up a person... whether it's a marcher or staff member ?

This thread positively blowws by the way. Just my opinion. Its serves no purpose whatsoever.

My guess, one could visit just about any home or college dorm or young person hang out in the city or ' burbs, or rural town this weekend, and find more " drug useage " among young people and adults than in any Corps 9 week tour of marchers and staff. Whether it was 1960, 1970, or 2011. So whats the point of this thread... really ?

I didn't create the thread so I can't speak to why it was created.

Sugar-coating the issue doesn't solve anything. Just as when corps make poor decisions to hire pedophiles, predators, and abusers, other bad things happen behind closed doors and I'm not about to let a student march somewhere that gives approval (tacit or otherwise) to staff members abusing drugs. Those 21 years of age or older are perfectly free to drink, again so long as it occurs away from the membership, especially those members who are NOT legal adults.

The value is awareness and safety. Two months ago, I would've recommended Teal Sound as a great way to get the drum corps experience at a younger age. Today? The words "teal" and "sound" won't ever leave my lips in a conversation about positive marching experience possibilities.

And if we're going to keep it on the subject of tobacco, I marched with people who ONLY smoked during drum corps season. I don't get it but some of 'em swore by it.

• Like 1

I didn't create the thread so I can't speak to why it was created.

Sugar-coating the issue doesn't solve anything. Just as when corps make poor decisions to hire pedophiles, predators, and abusers, other bad things happen behind closed doors and I'm not about to let a student march somewhere that gives approval (tacit or otherwise) to staff members abusing drugs. Those 21 years of age or older are perfectly free to drink, again so long as it occurs away from the membership, especially those members who are NOT legal adults.

The value is awareness and safety. Two months ago, I would've recommended Teal Sound as a great way to get the drum corps experience at a younger age. Today? The words "teal" and "sound" won't ever leave my lips in a conversation about positive marching experience possibilities.

And if we're going to keep it on the subject of tobacco, I marched with people who ONLY smoked during drum corps season. I don't get it but some of 'em swore by it.

I do agree with you that the thread could have served an education, awareness and safety value had it been presented in that fashion. There are lots of threads that could be valuable that speak to the issues of these. For example, ear plugs recommendations for marchers when playing in confined spaces where the decibel levels exceed healthy levels. I can't tell you how many marchers ( and staff ) have had later years early onset hearing losses attributable at least in part to playing music at unhealthy levels in confined spaces over too long a period of time.

Edited by BRASSO

I would have to say over usage of pain killers is the largest problem in drum corps. What we do is not good for our bodies.. no matter how you do it. We beat our body's up all summer, pushing ourselves to do some things that our bodies were not made to do. And when you come into spring training out of shape... you are going to have a really tough time. I know if I didn't chug IBP during spring training, I would not have made it through. I may have chugged... but I know others who inhaled. Some nights it was impossible to sleep without taking something. Someone is always asking for a painkiller at some point over the summer.

As far as the other stuff... it happens. It also happens in high schools and all other summer camps, on college campuses, and in your neighbors house...

It doesn't mean that anything of it is right. It just happens. I can tell you though, that it doesn't happen nearly as often as it did back in the day... and it is really hard for anyone to find time to do anything illegal unless it is a free day. Corps policies are EXTREMELY strict, and there is absolutely NO TOLERANCE from most corps. Even if you are 21, some corps don't let you drink, even on free days, and if they find out you did, you can be kicked out. I know we had a no tolerance policy... if anything was found on the bus... see ya later. If you're 21 or not.

As far as smoking... most corps frown upon it. And since smoking on school grounds is prohibited pretty much every where... and we already have enough trouble securing housing... you better not be caught with a cig, anywhere near your housing site.

• Like 2