Garfield: The Real Spirit of Drum Corps

I agree with the orginal author. In the early 70's I enjoyed the hospitality and collegiality with which we were welcomed to the Garfileld Invitational.

Saturday July 22, 1967

Garfield NJ The Garfield Invitational

Position Corps Score

1 St. Lucy's Cadets 79.480

2 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 79.330

3 Bronx Kingsmen 77.230

4 St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers 76.660

5 Toronto Optimists 75.100

6 Hawthorne Muchachos 75.030

7 Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights 74.030

8 Kingston Indians 47.780

I agree with the orginal author. In the early 70's I enjoyed the hospitality and collegiality with which we were welcomed to the Garfileld Invitational.

In 71, 27th housed us as well when we spent a weekend in Mass for the 2-7 and BAC shows. We had a great time with the 27th Lancer folks. We always got along very well in my Garfield days.

In 1972 I had guys from 27, Boston, and Cavies stay at my home during the 4 shows we had that year. Never mind the guys from Garfield that stayed with us.Over the years I marched and the years my brother marched my house was like a hotel.

Funny thing one year we had someone from Garfield stay at my house all summer. He was a vegetarian. My mother made separate meals for him.The last show of the year (the Booton show for you who remember it) my mother caught him eating a hot dog. She asked him what he was doing. he replied " my girl friend got me to eat meat " my mother almost killed him!!!!!!

I recall having several Opti guys stay with us in '67 and earlier in the season we went to Toronto for the Shriner's Int'l Show ..........The Sat show was rained out(?) and we had to stay over till Sunday, so Sat nite the Opti members came over to our Motel on the Lakefront and "entertained us". First time any of us from Garfield EVER had Maraschino Cherry toppings on our Pizza..............but the Molson was a treat! and if any of you Opti guys are still around on here...........anyone remember the "Crawfish Races"????

Edited by HNCadet

I recall having several Opti guys stay with us in '67 and earlier in the season we went to Toronto for the Shriner's Int'l Show ..........The Sat show was rained out(?) and we had to stay over till Sunday, so Sat nite the Opti members came over to our Motel on the Lakefront and "entertained us". First time any of us from Garfield EVER had Maraschino Cherry toppings on our Pizza..............but the Molson was a treat! and if any of you Opti guys are still around on here...........anyone remember the "Crawfish Races"????

I'll ask the guys I grew up with :-) fwiw my corps stayed with families of General Butler Vagabonds and Watkins Glen Squires ... what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.