Those "moments"

Cadets 2011 - From the company front to the end. I felt the emotion and I wasn't even at finals. I knew from the beginning this show would win and when I saw them live, it sealed the deal for me.

Cadets 2000 - Honestly, I didn't even get why people were going crazy about that show until the last week of tour. But there were many shows where people were besides themselves that I guess I finally got it. The wow moment for me was not even the show. It was the crowd toward the end of the show.

Phantom 2008 - So many wow moments from which to choose but what really got me was the end of the show. I was extremely pleased to see them win.

Cavies 2003 - The ballad. Absolutely beautiful. Enough said.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

• Like 1

If a show were 11 minutes of moments, those moments wouldn't be nearly as special.

You may be right, but I'd like to give it a try once, just to see. :smile:

Santa Clara Vanguard 1999

That entire show just keeps progressing, and never gets boring to me. I can listen to that show on repeat for the rest of my life and never get bored of it. Honestly. Not a dull moment in that show, and it has many "moments" on top of it.

Just in case you didn't catch this.

• Like 1

I definitely did not see that! Wow, great article on them. Is it bad that I always associate the guard girl who gets a closeup as "McKenzie"?

And to stay on topic, I would like to add the end of Star of Indiana 1991 as one of those "moments". Surprised it hasn't shown up yet, but nonetheless... Cross to cross... That show is also one of my favorites (wish I had seen it live, but if I had I wouldn't have remembered seeing it!)

• Like 2

Oh man, this is a great idea for a topic!! :thumbup:

Personally, "This is my Rifle" from The Cavaliers really got me going nuts and proud to be a Cavies fan! Pretty much any moment from that show got me going nuts!

Madison Scouts 96 soprano screamers are really exciting to listen too!

SCV 89 show concept was just out of this world!

SCV 09 closing simple gifts hit was just jaw dropping!

Cavies 08 closer :worthy: gotta love it!

Blue Devils 06 giant gun on the field!

Carolina Crowns music in general back in 08 (please go back to that Crown!!)

and so many more!!

I feel fortunate ton have come into DCI as a teenager between 89 and 93.

Hence, if I were to look at that time, much of those moments come from there.:

1990- 1993 - Star of Indiana- In the Lot, brass warm up arc. Sitting with my friends as a teenager. In total awe of the sound. Then following the corps into the stadium to see their show.

Good times.....

1994 Star of Indiana and Canadian Brass- Brass Theater....Wolf Trap, Reston, VA.

The Canadian Brass did an annual show there. Crowd was always very stoic. As Star did their part of the show....particularly Medea...you could hear the drum corps people in the audience react. Some in the crowd shouted , " Finish it" ...which caused some heads to turn. It was the single coolest mix of the " mainstream" seeing and experiencing corps.

1994 BD - August, Pittsburgh PA:

It was towards the end of the season. About a week before Finals. I was sitting near the front row, getting blasted.

BD was on another level that night. Loudest corps I have ever heard. Day Dance ...snares high sticking as they rotate the block. Blew the crowd away.

1995 Madison Scouts- Allentown.

Greatest Crowd reaction to a corps I have ever seen or will see .....Crowd was so loud I lost my hearing.

1998 Madison Scouts- Azusa, CA

Rememberance- One of my all time favorite closers - Live. I remember that show. En Fuego.

1999- Santa Clara Vanguard - Garfield HS - Dale City, VA

I was sitting rather close to the field for this show. SCV's performance was the most intense I have ever seen. Being close to the field, I could see the performers faces.- just incredible.

2007 Kingsmen Alumni in Long Beach,CA- Brass Warm Up - track. I was in this arc, as I was in ten corps.158 G hors playing a variation on F tuning. I am pretty sure we caused some flight delays at nearby Long Beach Airport with our sound. Everyone had the "lean back" going on...incredible BTW....you can see this on video on the Kingsmen Alumni website.

KAC 2007 Performance at the Rose Bowl- Looking up at crowd after the last note of Firebird.

2008- Phantom Regiment- Vista, CA- Warm Up Arc - Brass

Only two of us in the lot- and we were about 20 feet away from the horn line. Phantom warmed up on a soccer field. I was sitting in the goal as they arced around the goalie box.

It was as if I was sitting in the middle of the arc, they were that close. The line played Canon and part of Ave as a warm up....What a privilege.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Anyone with 3+ decades of drum corps memories cannot possibly type all the moments into this box. That said - here are some fine ones...

<Phantom 96....from note one, you felt something special happening>

Best description I've yet read of how the Phantom 96 finals show felt to me...

1990 BD - 2nd production...there are two moments when the horn line makes big hits...and the intonation is so stunning...so perfect, Rich Stadium is RINGING right along with them.

2004 - Cavaliers - I sat through all three of their shows that week of finals, smiling from ear to ear for every moment of that show -

1988 - the top 4 corps...yikes...great drum corps

1985 - SCV opener - the epitome of 1980s SCV

that said...

1987 SCV - the epitome of 1980s SCV

1993 Phantom - 50 yard line seats...it is my most overpowering drum corps memory. As they finished destroying Bernard Herrmann's Death Hunt, the entire crowd was in the collective palms of 128 pairs of hands. (great composer...read about him here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Herrmann )

Here is a taste of the power of that little bit of cinematic history...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqL5gEoXWBk

One can only imagine how much better Phantom would have sounded if they'd had a French horn line...

And as others have mentioned - 1991 Star...

topped only by 1993 Star...

Ah - so many...

Great feedback...

My initial interest in writing the post was to give some thought as to the genesis of these moments. My premise was validated in that there are some moments which almost universally rise to the top of the activity. (Great insight, I thought, into how CREEP was, for Bluecoats, an amazing opening statement that was hard to make the rest of the show rise to.)

SO.....

Can you manufacture these moments? (If so, what are theyt comprised of.)

DO they "just happen"

Is it creative? performance? both?

I would be very interested to know if anyone enjoys a 'moment' where the music is just 'meh'...

I believe you CAN manufacture moments...you simply use GREAT music...

Well, that seems to happen to me a lot!! Since i'm a cavies fan... I can really get into the style of music they play. Yes... even whole notes! :thumbup: If it sounds awesome and overpowering then I don't mind it one bit.