No place for this

when FAMU came to Miami for a football game in my time there (2004-2007), about half the band was suspended due to hazing issues. this is absolutely NOTHING new for that band.

• Like 1

"It's part of the school. It's the best band in the country and you want to be embraced," said Hunter's attorney, B.J. Bernstein. "You really have no choice but to be a part of it and that's why the school must step in."

This statement is part of the problem here....who annointed FAMU "the best band in the country"? If you get the members buying in to this...you set yourself up for the kind of "expected" behavior that occurs. i.e. "We're the best, so you need to be the best, so we're going to trash you to find your limits"...which eventually becomes..."we all did it, so you have to or you're out.". A train wreck waiting to happen.

I trained Army Rangers and there is a very real difference between mental and physical stress....and stupid/adolescent cruelty. Left unmanaged by strict policy and smart leaders (including engaged band directors), what starts out as "are you willing to set aside your ego and be a team player by doing this ridiculous (and potential harmful) stuff?" ......quickly turns into "I was abused...so it's your turn!" And taking to its darker place...this hazing often becomes an expression of personal, historical abuse of the hazer (i.e. abused kids make for horrible stress trainers....believe me on this one!).

In short, this situation was (just like Penn State) a function of the band program leadership being totally unplugged (through weak contact management and by failure to make "acceptable behavior" known and clear to all). Time to "get the hook" for FAMU's band leadership.

• Like 3