The future of music

I am waiting for corps to start tackling music from video games. The best music being written today is in that genre. It's the new "movie score" for the modern age.

Super Mario Galaxyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Fantastic orchestra soundtrack from both games. The one song I'd like to hear from a corps would be the Gusty Garden Galaxy music; perfect for a ballad piece! :thumbup:

Edited by TeddyBear
  • Like 2

I am waiting for corps to start tackling music from video games. The best music being written today is in that genre. It's the new "movie score" for the modern age.

FUS DO RAH! (if you have no idea what I'm talking about...YouTube it. That chunk of music would be epic on field. Also, any geek who recognizes that in a show would be in heaven.)

• Like 1

Its really all about arrangement. For example, this is arranged from a dubstep song:

I think this could totally be done on the field with the right arrangement.

Make sure you listen to the original, too:

Edited by Chris Rohn
  • Like 1

Agreed. The H.S. marching band I work with is doing the music from "World of Warcraft" this season.

I’d rather not hear a marching band play Deadmau5 at 3 in the afternoon in a football stadium, save that the club

I'd be up for that if they all wore giant mouse heads with mouth holes cut out so they could play their instruments. Imagine 200 kids in Deadmau5 heads marching towards you. My god, that would be pure nightmare fuel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why doesn't Drum Corps go back to the days of music recognizable to a large enough market to get DC back on PBS.

Go back to G Bugles, set formations, not barely audible B flat Bugles needing amplification. Stop just running around with seemingly microsecond formations until the next microsecond formation. Electronics is just cheating. It's no longer the musicians playing but technology manipulating music. Forget amplification and bring back execution and precision where rifles are caught and tossed at the same time and in unison. And if you dropped a rifle it mattered. Or for that matter, it mattered if you did anything wrong.

Drum corps should go back to the general period from 1975's MacArthur Park to about 1989's Phantom vs. Phantom of The Opera, maybe as far as 1992's When A Man Loves a Woman. That's when Drum Corps didn't need tuition (but had local fund raising support) and didn't have national auditions for college music majors merely trying to get something on their resume. For members marched in the local corps their friends of family marched in, or they saw in a parade.

Let's have the future of music and drum corps go back to the days when DC entertained and didn't educate. Modern music has no marketable value to much of anyone other than elitists who can afford a $115 DVD or Blue Ray. It's no wonder there are so few corps now. There's nothing available on youtube, only one library in the whole State Of Ohio has the Legacy Collection. Assuming someone wanted to start a drum corps they would want to just see on their screens what DC is-or go to a library to get some DVD's- not spend $35 a shot for the oldies and $115 for a new DVD.

DC has become totally disconnected to the foundation of a "youth activity" whose mission was to help youths. There's is no way I would contribute a penny to a modern Drum Corps filled with music majors with incomes large enough to travel around auditioning for a resume addition. I read on an online term paper and article in the Rockford Register Star, that in 2008 The Glassmen had only 4 members who lived in Ohio-let alone Toledo and only two Phantom members lived in Illinois. So why would I want to go to a Phantom Bingo game, when a local church helping Rockford youths have one on the same night?

Corps used to have different identities, you could easily recognize Spirit as a Southern Corps with Sweet Georgia Brown. Phantom stood out playing classical. SCV stood out playing Semi-Classical. BD stood out playing jazz and The Bridgemen playing anything fun. Now modern drum corps has become cookie cutter educational music the likes of which barely tuned into classical stations play.

While the Bridgemen 1977-1980 were the best influence on DC the intellectual years of Star was the worst and judges should have said something like "We don't get it."

It's not just a question of the future of music-but the future of drum corps. Until Drum Corps goes back to being Drum and Bugle Corps with recognizable music, more corps will fold. You're travel costs are so much higher because there are less corps to host shows and thus farther distances to travel. We used to have 10 corps competing in the Ohio State Championships, now there are barely ten corps in a time zone.

When DC lost PBS in 2002 with a decade long of disgruntled, confused viewers wondering "What Is Drum Corps now?" DC just became more intellectual and less marketable.

DC needs to become more recognizable, more enjoyable, more local and more of everything it isn't.

More tomorrow....

• Like 2

As a current marching member...first off yeah there are a lot of music majors in drum corps, but I can say that at least in the corps I have experience with, their incomes aren't loaded. They aren't doing drum corps as something to put on their resume. We're not that..shallow! Or a better way to put it, we have higher reasons. The drive for perfection, the need for a challenge that can't be found elsewhere, the family we gain. The reason for going to a higher corps, at least with the people I've spoken with, usually has to do with either wanting that higher degree of perfection or just wanting to be a part of the corps that may have influenced them, inspired them, or even they just find that style appealing. Also, for many of us, drum corps has inspired us to become music majors.

• Like 3