The future of music

Its really all about arrangement. For example, this is arranged from a dubstep song:

I think this could totally be done on the field with the right arrangement.

Make sure you listen to the original, too:

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful arrangement.

There's a ton of Electronic music with respectable melodic and harmonic content that would put a lot of traditional pop music to shame. Pendulum and the Glitch Mob come immediately to mind. Just because it's electronic doesn't make it automatically wub-wub garbage that couldn't translate to any other genre. I'd personally like to hear a corps take on electronic music, and challenge them to surprise me and the rest of the audiences by not making it "sound" like it's electronic music. If a corps can make it accessible, with the right arrangements, then we might be able to see an entirely different genre open itself up to the activity. No need to overemphasize synths or weird alien sounds, melody is still what's most important to create that accessibility.

• Like 1

Simpsons did it Simpsons did it

I mean Colt Cadets

LOL, got my laugh for the day..... +1

But will have to check out what the Hades Deadmau5 is about. :blink:

Hey I'm old OK, at least I got the SP reference..... :tongue:

Back On-topic: As a 54 year old who discovered DC 38 *gag* years ago, don't care what music is played as long as you can pick out a melody (if that's the correct musical term).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

The only EDM I can see in DCI would be songs like deadmau5' songs 'Some Chords' and 'Ghosts 'n' Stuff' as brass warmups/parking lot hype. The rest can be saved for parties/clubs.

As for video game music, off the top of my head Blue Stars 99 and Spartans 06 use Final Fantasy and Advent Rising respectively as their repertoire. I think the OC in general does this more than WC corps though.

DC has become totally disconnected to the foundation of a "youth activity" whose mission was to help youths. There's is no way I would contribute a penny to a modern Drum Corps filled with music majors with incomes large enough to travel around auditioning for a resume addition. I read on an online term paper and article in the Rockford Register Star, that in 2008 The Glassmen had only 4 members who lived in Ohio-let alone Toledo and only two Phantom members lived in Illinois. So why would I want to go to a Phantom Bingo game, when a local church helping Rockford youths have one on the same night?

I'm not even going to comment on the rest of this post, but you have to be really out of touch to think that the average marching member is rolling in money or is doing DCI just for their resumes.

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 1

I'm not even going to comment on the rest of this post, but you have to be really out of touch to think that the average marching member is rolling in money or is doing DCI just for their resumes.

I agree, on top of being way out of spectrum of what this thread is about, there are several examples of guys just wanting to march for the hell of it not a resume. For example me, I'm a non-music major whos involved with the military (not a band either) and i marched a top finals corps. People do it just to do it.

I agree, that guy on top of being way out of spectrum of what this thread is about, there are several examples of guys just wanting to march for the hell of it not a resume. For example me, I'm a non-music major whos involved with the military (not a band either) and i marched a top finals corps. People do it just to do it.

I would actually prefer to have some older-style jazz music brought back in, instead on this new wave crap.

It takes a lot of money to march a top corps. Crown is $3000 + flights. Cadets is $4000 + flights. BD is $2500 + flights or housing. Phantom is $3000 + flights.

If you can afford to march in these corps, you've already won the socioeconomic lottery. So, yes -- the top corps are full of kids who are "rolling" in money, especially if they are paying tuition/having their tuition paid by mom and dad.

• Like 1

It takes a lot of money to march a top corps. Crown is $3000 + flights. Cadets is $4000 + flights. BD is $2500 + flights or housing. Phantom is $3000 + flights.

If you can afford to march in these corps, you've already won the socioeconomic lottery. So, yes -- the top corps are full of kids who are "rolling" in money, especially if they are Paying tuition/having their tuition paid by mom and dad.

Or are just motivated enough to fundraise it all. Or have jobs and save up.

• Like 1