Premier is Back

Actually, Ludwig's drums are made in the US at their North Carolina plant, at least the last time I spoke with Al a few months ago. What do you base the questionable quality assertion on? I'm just asking because a lot of people say that about brands based on experiences from years past but without familiarity with current offerings.

Well I believe the Ludwig Accents are made in Taiwan. They are made of bass wood or balsa, light and cheap. I played with a set in my local music store and they were on par with other low end bobo brands. The badge is a sticker, and just a little detail like that says cheap. As far as current offerings that I have dealt with, I bough five tenor stands because the price was right. They are cheaply made, were shipped with scratches in the powder coat, and I don't really think these things will be holding up. My guess is I will be welding them back together in the near future. They were clearance on eBay (via a music store), and could not be returned.

I own some older Ludwig stuff that is still sturdy. I will admit I haven't played any new Ludwig stuff or marching gear, but I read reviews. I don't mean to hate on Ludwig at all, but like I said in an earlier post, if I am paying good money for new instruments I don't want issues.

I guess the summation to the claim "PearlPREMIER (sorry, long night into day)is Back" made by Daniel Ray is a high level of doubtful maybes.

Look the sound of a drum is so subjective it's not worth commenting on except in the extremes of good sounding and poor sounding.

Durability, quality of materials and manufacturing, parts readiness, delivery turnaround and customer service are going to weigh heavily as is price.

But the most cogent argument has to do with the entire insturment line. Premier doesn't offer it...King/Ludwig/Musser could work. Pearl doesn't offer it either.

Tama doesn't even have an entire marching percussion suite yet. Yamaha is going to want to sell the entire instrument line and would give the best deal to a corps taking the entire line...horns and percussion. Same with Mapex/Majestic/Jupiter. Pearl/Adams doesn't have a hornline currently offer for an entire line.

More thoughts. Jupiter did a smart thing in offering the entire instrument line from the start. That's how they gained share...they also selectively cultivated corps to perform their R&D for them...they started with Open Class corps then lower placing World Class corps then...landed some top corps. Now they are cutting into the Yamaha market with the HS and Collegiate Marching Bands and for the money, they are taking some of the Yamaha share. but, Yamaha still has got a ton of market share of entire line bands.

Basically, it comes down to the points above...entire instrument line, durability, quality of materials, parts readiness, deliever turnaround and customer service...a single rep for your instruments is worth it from many folks' value proposition. They pay more for Yamaha because of the value. Jupiter is entering the cost battle and trying to match the value proposition. So far, it looks like they are doing a pretty good job.

Edited by Tom Brace

Premier has a full line of gear for front ensemble (minus vibes, what's up with that?)

Well their vibes were nothing special, for a start...

In the grand scheme of vibraphones, it's a limited market, and Musser and Yamaha have the best range of pro instruments. I've never seen anyone play Adams outside of drum corps or scholastic environments. Past that, there are some boutique lines (vanderPlas makes a beautiful instrument), but no mass need for more vibraphone alternatives. If I was revamping Premier, I'd leave off vibes too.