Premier is Back

If I remember correctly, Premeir lines were heard with Crossmen as well as a few other corps- circa 1992, 93-ish? Star of Indiana in 1992, ( I think) used them as well?

I do remember the sound of the battery, particularly snares was rather unique. I wondered what happened to them, after those seasons. Interesting to see the are making a comeback.

Hopefully this time around their tenors won't sound like wood blocks, basses sounding like cardboard boxes, and snares sounding like a stick striking a piece of paper. Yeeeesh!

So far it's Pearl and Yamaha still in the lead with the new Tama snares in a nice second (imo).

Hopefully, this time around, their stuff won't weigh enough to break the back of Arnold-the-Conan-nator at his buffed best.

The old Premier snares weighed a ton, compared to Pearls, and didn't sound anywhere near as good...Unless you were into scottish drumming.

Sorry, but Premier and Ludwig are still jokes. Have you ever tried to contact either one of these companies? Even if the gear was up to par, try buying a spare part or getting customer service. Not worth it.

Have you tried contacting a Conn-Selmer dealer? Ludwig is not its own company, it's the brand Conn-Selmer sells its marching percussion under. I've been dealing with them for several years now and never had any trouble finding availability on instruments or parts when I needed to.

As for Premier, the American distributor is called MarchingUSA. I would try contacting them.

If they can make them look good, make them durable and make them tunable then corps will buy them esp. if the deal is right.

A good drum line will make any make of drum sound good, Phantom Regiment 2010 for example. Not everyone is a fan of Dynasty's drums.

Sorry, but Premier and Ludwig are still jokes. Have you ever tried to contact either one of these companies? Even if the gear was up to par, try buying a spare part or getting customer service. Not worth it.

That being said, as soon as either company signs a big name the sheep will follow. Some tops lines seem to like to play whatever deal they get that beats the old deal. I'll stay tuned to see who ends up making the switch...if anyone.

I've contacted Premier before, not just through my friend in the company but using the customer service line. I do know that when the company was going through the problems it was a bit harder to get in contact with them as the future was as bleak as anything until they sorted it all out.

I reckon Premier are on brighter lines now though and in the States all your inquiries would go through MarchingUSA (USA Distributor).

MarchingUSA provides:

- Premier’s complete range of marching and orchestral instruments and accessories

- Competitive pricing

- Strong inventory and parts support

- World-class customer service

- Rugged ‘Tough Frame’ keyboard trucks

- Field and tour support

http://marching.premier-percussion.com/news/news-marching/us-distribution-announced-for-marching-and-educational-lines

Edited by Scatfish

I can't comment on the new US distributor for Premier because I haven't tried to deal with them, but when I was trying to get a few parts years back it was like trying to talk to a statue. As for Ludwig, the old drums were handcrafted in the US. I think they are making drums in Asia and the quality is questionable. Stickers for namebadges? Their recent marching products are a failure from a marketing and support standpoint.

Personally I don't have a preference for the drum I would be playing or using. Yea, when marching lighter is better, but that's about it for me. If I was teaching, I would teach on any drum. That being said, if I am buying $5-15 thousand worth of drums, I need support. All drums get beat up on the road, but if I can fix them I am happy. I also don't want to be fixing them daily. Both Ludwig and Premier have a long road ahead, but not on my dime.

I can't comment on the new US distributor for Premier because I haven't tried to deal with them, but when I was trying to get a few parts years back it was like trying to talk to a statue. As for Ludwig, the old drums were handcrafted in the US. I think they are making drums in Asia and the quality is questionable.

Ludwig's growth in the mid-level drum set market the last few years has been remarkable, and most of that growth is courtesy of some new American made drums in their line (the Keystone and Legacy Classic series, primarily).

For whatever reason, Conn/Selmer finally decided to let the Ludwig brand compete with Gretsch and DW for mass marketed US-made pro and semi-pro drums, which bodes well for their re-entry into serious marching percussion.

Edited by mobrien

Premier is back in the United States via Marching USA and the staff there is very helpful and prompt. The marching battery they are putting out has a great sound and same with the orchestral stuff.

If you have questions or concerns I would just give them a call.

Premier is back in the United States via Marching USA and the staff there is very helpful and prompt. The marching battery they are putting out has a great sound and same with the orchestral stuff.

If you have questions or concerns I would just give them a call.

What's the story with the Elite brass line?