Origin of the "BAC" reference.

I doubt it, Ghost. During the 60's Ed taught Prince, BAC, Holy Family Jr.'s and three levels of St Agnes CYO bands. In the 70's he taught all St Agnes bands, BAC, R.I. Renegades, Sancians. He taught music at St. Agnes Elementary School in Arlington and Arlington Catholic High School for over 30 years.

Rick Connor (marched with Cambridge Cab's and instructed North Star) was musical director for St Williams from early 80'sthru their demise as a senior band.

I doubt it, Ghost.

He also was a Braintree Braves instructor in the late 50's and at some point, Hingham HS. I still think he taught Williams, since there was music he would teach us and if he didn't like it for the Saders, have Willaims give it a go. Maybe someone else can give their thoughts.

Edited by Ghost

since there was music he would teach us and if he didn't like it for the Saders, have Willaims give it a go.

Pbeau or Standor marched with St Agnes as well, and can probably attest that you are making reference to the BAC story of "Give-it-to the-band." That was about BAC/St Agnes Band.

We played songs that ended up in the 'Sader shows (Promises, Promises; In a Persian Market; California Dreaming) and we got music the 'Saders had turned up their noses: (Sweet Charity, Hey Big Spender, El Cid). In SEPT or OCT Ed would pass out music. Some ended up as part of our Winter Concert. Others we'd play it for a while, and he'd say to us "that's enough - pass it back." Next spring, we'd hear some of them at Sader horn practice in the St Agnes hall.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost,

If the guys causing the trouble were thugs, maybe it was St. Lucy's. Yuck Yuck.

Kevin Doherty

Ghost,

Kevin Doherty

Nope ... Boston's brawl with Lucy's happened a decade later in 1968 at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport ... and it was a DOOZIE!!! ... even had the quartermasters flailing away at each other ...

Ah yes ... the good old days ... when reps were built off the field as well as on ... don't take offense ... just the way it was ...

Andy "still counting how many teeth I lost" Lisko

Nope ... Boston's brawl with Lucy's happened a decade later in 1968 at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport ... and it was a DOOZIE!!! ... even had the quartermasters flailing away at each other ...

Ah yes ... the good old days ... when reps were built off the field as well as on ... don't take offense ... just the way it was ...

Andy "still counting how many teeth I lost" Lisko

Andy, do you recall the slight exchange between Selden and Lucy's after the 63 Penn Jersey Championships at Newark Schools Stadium? Bodies were flying everywhere. I was only 16, so I remained a spectator and kept my teeth.

Then there was Evening With the Corps in 68 when the locals (Newark) threw those molitov coctails at the Hurcs and the guys from Lucy's came to the rescue. See? It wasn't all bad.

Andy, do you recall the slight exchange between Selden and Lucy's after the 63 Penn Jersey Championships at Newark Schools Stadium? Bodies were flying everywhere. I was only 16, so I remained a spectator and kept my teeth.

Then there was Evening With the Corps in 68 when the locals (Newark) threw those molitov coctails at the Hurcs and the guys from Lucy's came to the rescue. See? It wasn't all bad.

Yup ... 1963 Penn Jersey ... another donnybrook ... who would have thought that Lucy's and Selden would tangle with each other? ... LOL ...

The Symphony Hall melee occurred in 1969 ... beyond Urban Legend ... Lucy's and the locals had some words as they were entering the back stage door ... the Hurcs showed up later in the same spot and got bombed with the molitovs ... one of them hit a good friend of mine (Kenny Convertito) and burned up us arm ... his cousin (Arnie Juliano) went after the gang and would up in the hospital with a concussion after a 2x4 cracked him in the skull ... other Hurcs were bloodied and bruised ... the locals also set a police car on fire ... such respect ... an ugly night ...

This one wasn't about Drum Corps though ... we were fresh off the Newark riots in 1967 and MLK's assasination in 68 ... tension in the air for sure ...

Andy

Andy,

I'm laughing MAO.

See, Ghost. I wasn't too far from the truth - just 10 years off. But I do remember a classmate who played flag with SAC telling me about a melee with Lucy's in the early 60s. He was a State Champion wrestler who played flag and I believe they were still using wooden poles. Guess what the outcome was.

Kevin

Ghost,

Kevin Doherty

Right state though. First "incident" I witnessed was after the Pittsfield(MA) Boys Club Standstill in early 64. We're on the bus when a kid from SAC comes up to a window and starts talking to one of our guys (a future Boston area politician) and then all hell broke out. By the time a dozen of us got to the front of the bus, I believe it was Bill Kelley, we were not allowed to leave. Even some of the girls in the Saders CG joined in. With SAC being all male, their bruises were even harder to take!

Lost two years (or more)of marching with the draft, so I missed the incidents with the Cavies in 67.

Edited by Ghost