Country music and drum corps

"The King is Gone (and So are You)" by George Jones. :cool:

The crippling obsession with speed makes a lot of the best country music useless in modern day drum corps. There is a lot of material for ballads, especially for the "mini" ballads that are starting to become popular. Lots of great country melodies that would be useful in that regard.

Leaving country aside . . . what about bluegrass? A lot of bluegrass tunes could transformed into blistering drum breaks (think about Madison's famous Dueling Banjos duet).

I don't think that on the face of it that there is any genre of music that can not work. Its all in the presentation and the arrangement. That said, Phantom Regiment is not a Corps that I'd like to see experiment some year with Country Music.

Edited by BRASSO

I am no country music fan, but I also dont' dislike it. As a matter of fact, after I heard Lady Antebellum's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", I started to think that country music could work. It would be very different than what I expect to hear from a drum corps, and it would have to be one heck of an arrangement of this number by Lady Antebellum to do it justice. I think Phantom could pull this off. Any other corps or songs y'all can think of that would be good candidates for an all country music show? And for the record, I am not from the Midwest or the South. I am a from the West Coast.

I noticed that Music City in Open Class is doing a mix of country and Phantom of The Opera. I'm a little skeptical of such music in drum corps but I have been surprised before with that which I doubt. As for world class corps that I believe could pull it off, I could see Spirit Of Atlanta and maybe Troopers doing something cool with such music with the right show concept to support it. "Phantom Regiment"? NO.

Edited by stevedb1975

No.

As stated previously, music of this structure doesn't lend itself to the idiom. Pop music is the same way, as is rock, etc. And yes, they have been done before- lots in the 70's, Madison last year, Crown last year. But you'll notice, they use the very recognizable parts that are not too repetitive.

Also, country blows.

• Like 4

No.

As stated previously, music of this structure doesn't lend itself to the idiom. But you'll notice, they use the very recognizable parts that are not too repetitive.

.... and thank heavens that Ravel decided not to make Bolero " repetitive " in verse and structure.

• Like 2