New judging system to be voted on at DCI Annual Meeting

Do you mean you think his photo will be on the back of the new sheets? :tongue:

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

That is SO funny!

I cannot imagine a drum corps show where poor performance will be richly rewarded because of the outstanding design as there will always be a fundamental lack of design clarity in poor performance. But a great performance of a mediocre or poorly designed show can...and should...still find a modicum of points and rewards on any set of sheets.

You mean like Phantom Regiment's visual design in 2008 that won them DCI? :ph34r:

• Like 2

Whatever this rule change means, Hopkins is behind it.

nope. this is all driven by the Ceasrio stuff started last year

• Like 1

I cannot imagine a drum corps show where poor performance will be richly rewarded because of the outstanding design as there will always be a fundamental lack of design clarity in poor performance. But a great performance of a mediocre or poorly designed show can...and should...still find a modicum of points and rewards on any set of sheets.

if you weight the sheets more heavily towards performance....keep the sub numbers the judges put down 0-10, but use multipliers like WGI does for the PA sheet inpercussion, you have a win, win

the public isn't voting on SOPA or PIPA either...

But SOPA and PIPA address serious legal issues that will have far-reaching consequences for creators of artistic and intellectual property and their consumers/audiences (which pretty much amounts to the general public) worldwide. DCI is basically a self-contained, self-regulatory entity; the member corps make their rules by and for themselves. Yeah, I understand we are their "consumers." But I still don't think they are under any obligation to publish judging sheets that have not yet been approved/adopted for general inspection - regardless of who might like(or feel they are entitled) to, for whatever reason, have a look-see.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 3

OK, so does anyone know how this proposal affects judging locations? Paging Michael Boo....

I have to state that I'm not 100% sure about this, as I didn't think of asking about it. That said, I don't think it affects the locations of the judges. I could be wrong, though. I haven't heard that it would send more judges upstairs.

nope. this is all driven by the Ceasrio stuff started last year

Which is why I'm a skeptic (if you can be a skeptic having not seen the proposal).

There is this mysterious consensus around drum corps that credits Cesario with bringing entertainment back to the field last year. I think the reality is far more complex. Cesario's well-intended and well-timed effort didn't start a wave; it road its crest. In other words, 2011 was more a natural evolution than an engineering marvel. And all on the old sheets.

I'll be the first to agree that the sheets could stand to benefit from transparency and clarity. I'm not sure that's what this is about. It seems to me that "overhauling" the judging process has larger goals in mind. It seems that Cesario and others might be pumped up with enough false pride to believe that if they created 2011, they can replicate last year into the future by re-engineering the judging criteria.

I am a skeptic - a skeptic on the Cesario consensus, a skeptic about this judging "simplification." We had a good thing going in 2011. Why overhaul it? Tinker maybe. Overhaul why? Music analysis never.

HH

• Like 1

Which is why I'm a skeptic (if you can be a skeptic having not seen the proposal).

dingdingdingding I think this hits the nail on the head: it's silly to get all upset, freak out, cry conspiracies, etc. without actually seeing the sheets and knowing what we're talking about. I'm not directing this at you personally, glory, I just think it bears repeating that without ANY of us fans having seen the proposal, it's pointless to even begin to debate what we don't like about it. Lets at least WAIT to see what we're talking about before condemning it

• Like 5