Rookie Auditions

Be a hard worker, show that you respond well/adapt well to change (even minor changes can trigger freak-outs on tour), and are receptive and appreciative of criticism. Absorb as much knowledge as you can from these tremendous educators, and be friendly. I think that many people overlook the basics of being a good learner/person when they go to corps auditions and instead focus heavily on the physical skills of marching and playing the horn.

Be a good person, demonstrate maturity, be a good learner, and have your audition material down and you should be as golden as the bond you will surly apply on tour this summer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement everybody! Unfortunately its just not in the cards to go out for this season cause of financial reasons, college in the fall and a new instrument. I already have some money saved up and I feel like i can be more prepared if i have a year to work on things anyway, but am definitely trying out next year., so I'm just trying to get as much knowledge as i can to better my chances for wherever i audition. Thanks again!

Be a good person, demonstrate maturity, be a good learner, and have your audition material down and you should be as golden as the bond you will surly apply on tour this summer.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy::thumbup: :thumbup: :worthy::thumbup:

• Like 2

Spend the $100 Madison charges for the music and audition and go spend the weekend getting feedback and deciding if it's the right corps for you. Especially since they will be in your area in February. Who knows if such a convenient location will be used next year. In that weekend you will learn so much about yourself and about the corps. You don't have to audition or even accept a position in the corps for this year, but the investment will great. I generally think too much, but what happens if next year when you're ready to audition the first camps for both corps you're interested in are on the same weekend? You'd have to worry and try to decide which to attend. Having at least spent a weekend with one of your top choices could help that.

In addition, certainly not saying this will happen to you, but my son auditioned with two of his good friends this winter. Both of his friends had no corps experience and so had little idea what it would be like. While both of them got callbacks, neither of them decided to attend. They both decided it just wasn't worth the work, pain, lack of social life and money. Again, I'm not saying that's your future, but you could attend a camp and see that while you enjoy drum corps, your top selections just don't fit your personality and you may need to look elsewhere.

If nothing else, spend $10 and buy the Madison audition music for this year. It won't be the same next year, but you will grow from it.

Good luck in your decision!

A newly crowned MADISON MOM

• Like 1

I agree that you should show up at Madison's camp (since it is your first choice) and you should look to see what other camps you might be able to make it to in the next month or so. Many corps will welcome new people through January, and obviously later if they are still looking to fill spots.

You could probably visit a couple camps this year, and it would give you something to compare and contrast... get a little feel for different corps and how they run rehearsals.

• 6 months later...

Where are you studying music education? I say go to the camp and get the experience, you'll see wether it's right for you then. :)

• Like 1