Most Under Rated Shows Of All Time...

*strokes chin like Montablan in Star Trek II*

"But you.....ahhh yess...I never forget a face....Mr....

GULKE!

James Gulke...of the...Blue Devilsssss..

Tell me - Why aren't you herrree..."

(deep inhale)

"And tell me...where I might find....Micheal T. Moxleeyyyyyy"

*sadistic laugh*

(I love that movie)

?????????

Gulke wasnt the 90 Drum major .....

94 was his first year.

~G~

Derek Mullins and Brian Pollard were the DMS for Devs in 1990. Derek was DM #1. Yes, the Ian Ziering lookalike LOLOLOLOL

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV 85 & 86 never get much attention. I don't know why. Those were great shows! Festive Overture rocked, and the big honkin' wooden tunnel/uniform change was just too cool. These are the shows were Hardimon built his rep, IMHO.

SCV 85-87 will always stand eternal in my book as the most ###### three consecutive years a corps has EVER enjoyed.

Sorry Garfield. Doesn't mean I didn't like you too LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
3. 1980 27th Lancers - Very competitive show that almost won a DCI title (and maybe should have won with all respect to BD fans), but this show is under rated for what it brought to the activity in terms of visual content (guard and drill). Although SCV was the first to do asymetrical drill (also in 1980), and Garfield would eventually revolutionize the marching style and concept of flow with asymetry, I believe the 1980 27th Lancers were the corps to bring all drum corps into the new era of show design (Zingali was a genius).

Amen, and Amen! I second that one!

I also believe with alot of biased feelings(since I marched that year); that the 1986 27th Lancers should've at least been in 10th if not 9th place. That show may have been different but we were going with the new changes and I always feel like we got really overlooked with what we were doing. We had a Zingali drill and Dorrite wrote the music, and we played it and marched it. We were constantly moving in that drill and the color guard that year was revived and incredible. The opener, "Move on" from Sunday in the park with George, was just INCREDIBLE! I'll never forget playing that and I was in the mellophone quartet in the beginning of "Putting it together"....anyway....

Although SCV was the first to do asymetrical drill (also in 1980),

SCV may have done a whole show based on asymethrical drill, but they were not the only ones in 1980 to "introduce it." Check out Crossmen's 1980 show during the segment "The Planets" and you'll see some "asymethrical" drill goin on there as well. I tell ya the judges didn't know how to judge it.

If I'm not mistaken, there were some "pre DCI" corps that did a little hint of asymethrical drill in the 60s......I want to say it was Des Plains Vanguard....but I'm not certain.

I appreciate the people who have answered this question with VK. It's a little disappointing when the show isn't given the credit it deserves because the corps and the crowd are having fun.

Even though I marched in the early 70's and was on staff in the early 80's, I think 1988 may be my favorite VK show. Playing Malaguena the same year Madison does is pretty ballsy, but the two versions were so much different that you could enjoy them both.

BTW, half of the bull from that year is currently rehearsing with the Renegades bass line! You can speculate which half!

Garry

PS Did y'all know that BD's Tommy show was actually written for VK? They decided not to do it, and the chart headed north. Makes you wonder what would have happened if VK had played it.

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Although SCV was the first to do asymetrical drill (also in 1980),

SCV may have done a whole show based on asymethrical drill, but they were not the only ones in 1980 to "introduce it." Check out Crossmen's 1980 show during the segment "The Planets" and you'll see some "asymethrical" drill goin on there as well. I tell ya the judges didn't know how to judge it.

If I'm not mistaken, there were some "pre DCI" corps that did a little hint of asymethrical drill in the 60s......I want to say it was Des Plains Vanguard....but I'm not certain.

Asymmetrical drill is really old.

Drum corps used to start their shows on one goal line and end on the other, and there were many forms that were not symmetrical.

I do agree that SCV 1980 had a huge influence on the activity, and that everyone followed their lead over the next few years.

As far as underrated shows, 1980 SCV would have to be at the top of my list.

Edited by randomnoise

Even though they were second at finals, I'd say 1981 Blue Devils were very underrated – solid numbers across the board all season, but a glaring 9th place in drums at finals kept Concord from winning it all in 1981. I think that fact escapes many fans – a BD championship in 1981 would have made them champs four years in a row, and six championships in a seven-year stretch from 1976 to 1982. SCV was awesome, but BD’s hornline absolutely rocked, they marched an impeccably clean show and simply outclassed everyone from a GE perspective.

1981 Phantom Regiment (Spartacus I) has been mentioned on occasion as underrated. The show concept by itself made it a very memorable year for Regiment, but here are a couple of pieces of trivia about 1981 Phantom Regiment:

Phantom beat Vanguard three times on Regiment’s first tour trip to California. When all of the western corps came east, SCV gained the upper hand. In 1981, SCV was the first corps to break the 90 barrier at DCI North prelims, and PR was only 0.5 behind. Only two days later, at DCI Canada, the SCV spread over PR opened to almost four points. The cool Canadian air must have favored Santa Clara…the spread held right into DCI finals at Olympic Stadium…

Phantom beat Devils at Regiment’s Show of Shows – I believe it was PR’s first placement ahead of BD since 1978 finals in Denver. Granted, it was only by 0.05, but hey…on that night, there was much rejoicing in Rockford – we beat every corps at least once that summer.

Regiment brass was a solid fourth in prelims at Montreal, only 0.6 behind BD’s awesome hornline. In finals, Regiment brass dropped to sixth, 1.35 behind BD.

The Bridgemen drumline was the dominant line of the early 80’s – hands down. PR was second in drums behind Bridgemen at DCI Midwest finals at Whitewater. Regiment was fourth in drums in prelims in Montreal, but ended up tied for seventh in drums with Garfield at DCI Finals.

As has been the case quite often, close but no cigar for Regiment in 1981. That said, I don't think many people realize how close the 1981 season was.

Speaking of Garfield…tied with BD for brass execution in 1981, third in overall brass, and the drumline had a wicked book (strong exposure scores all summer)…all they needed was a program to showcase the talent, which they got in 1982…then they turned the world on its ear in 1983…

Chuck McCurdy

1981 Phantom Regiment

Even though they were second at finals, I'd say 1981 Blue Devils were very underrated – solid numbers across the board all season, but a glaring 9th place in drums at finals kept Concord from winning it all in 1981.

To think drums were down by two points and BD lost by 3 tenths. Quite a spread to overcome.

I think that fact escapes many fans – a BD championship in 1981 would have made them champs four years in a row

Had we won in 1981, I'm not so sure the 82 corps would have been as good as it was. The 82 corps was essentially a very peeved 81 corps with an improved drumline. We knew what our finals score would've been had the drums been two points higher......that score was our goal in 82. We almost made it.

I can still vividly recall the moment I saw Phantom Regiment in Stockton Ca. We were on the ramp waiting to go on the field. Phantom was in this gull wing form just blasting the stands. Capes flowing the wind and what seemed like the shiniest horns I had seen. My dad recorded Phantom's performance from that show (and I've got it on mp3 :huh: ).......if ya want it.....

LIstening to Phantom and BD at the Stockton show....I think Phantom got robbed in horns. Phantom's horn line was clearly tighter than BD.

I can also remember "Show of Shows". We achieved our goal that night.....we beat Two-Seven. I guess we forgot about the rest of the field, we took third b**bs

Edited by bd5times

Robert,

You KNOW I would be digging an mp3 of that Stockton show, or any other relics of the 1981 season that may be lurking in time capsules around the country. Please do forward that mp3 if you can.

I remember watching BD from the end zone that night too!!! It was the first time I had ever watched any corps from that angle. The huge gate turns at the end of the closer...absolutely classic and timeless BD drill. I saw BD at finals in 1979 and 1980...that move made me grin from ear to ear when I saw it again in 1981. It was also the first time I saw the crowd respond from that perspective. When you're on the field, you tend to be so focused that you don't see the entire crowd when they react. Seeing the entire audience come to their feet in appreciation of BD's performance, like being swept up by a huge wave (several times!!)...it was just one of those moments for me.

I was watching the legacy DVD from 1981 tonight...figures that the one year that finals wasn't recorded on video (or so they say...) was the year I marched!! When you compare the CD recording (Montreal) to the DVD (Whitewater), it's amazing the difference two weeks makes. I wish the video was out there!!!

Chuck McCurdy

1981 Phantom Regiment