Are there any tuba spots left in WC?

His #1 concern seemed to be convenience. He has nothing to lose by contacting Crown. Crown has nothing to lose by auditioning him.

Wow, DCP is testy these days.

Really? The guy got cut from Spirit and he has "nothing to lose" trying out for Crown? How about MONEY? Please, be real. If the kid could not make Spirit, I would call it IMPOSSIBLE for him to make Crown.

This is what people don't understand. Just because a corps like Crown, BD, Cadets or Cavies may have a few "openings" to fill does NOT mean that they are hurting OR looking for just anyone available to jump into the line. The reality is, corps at that level generally have a standard for who they will accept and if they have to cut BELOW the number they are writing drill for in an effort to find the RIGHT kid for the spot(s), that's what they will do (and do all the time).

Hypothetical Example: Crown writes for 16 tubas. They have 26 (random figure) show up to audition for the line. By about the 3rd camp they have made cuts and are down to 14. Is it because they didn't have enough warm bodies to choose from? No, they had plenty and could have had 16 locked in and contracted WITH alternates by camp #2 if they wanted. However, that's not what they do. Instead, they cut who can't hang (not matter how many holes it leaves them with) and recruit from there. Hence: Crown's request to find a "tuba player with EXPERIENCE".

Therefore, it is a horrible idea to suggest to a kid who just got cut from 2011's corps #12 to audition for 2011's corps #4. The kid will never make it, will lose money...all because someone got his hopes up by giving him very BAD advice to audition for a corps that he is not ready for,

This is not opinion. It is FACT!

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 3

I believe The Boston Crusaders are also on the lookout for tubas, if you are interested. Camp attendance is not necessarily a must at this point for you. Just send an email if you'd like to know more! - brass@crusaders.com

Last I saw, Madison also had openings in all sections, including the 20-man tuba section.

Again, (though not as extreme as the suggestion for Crown), it's unlikely that a kid who could not make Spirit would make Madison. I would add the same to the post above this who suggested Boston. Though, not IMPOSSIBLE (as I believe Crown is)...unlikely and probably not the best use of this kid's time and money. Think about it, the kid just blew a ton of $$$ auditioning for Spirit. Worth it? Absolutely. But now that he didn't make it, he needs to find a corps that he can make IMMEDIATELY and without a whole lot of doubt. This kid needs to shoot BELOW finals (unless he is just made of money).

Again, just because a corps has "openings" does not mean they have a shortage of bodies. While not as extreme as Crown, I'm sure both Madison and Boston had more tubas show up to auditions than what they are writing drill for. Difference is, they are being more selective and would rather hold out a while with a few holes until they find the RIGHT kid with the right amount of "EXPERIENCE".

And to the person who suggested Boston. If you are by some chance affiliated with Boston, I think you know that such a kid would struggle with Boston just as much, if not more, than with Spirit. Though, I'm sure you will gladly take his money if he wants to give it a try. :thumbdown:

Come on. Lets give this kid a fighting chance to make it to the field in 2012 before it's too late and he has no options. Go to Academy, Crossmen, MAYBE Troopers, Pacific Crest, Blue Devils B. Get into a GOOD Semifinalst (yes...GOOD...those corps are good too) . Save your Finalist aspirations for another year.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 1

Hey, a little note to the OP of this thread, NewTuba2011. Please do not assume that my two posts above were intended with any kind of cruelty at all. Nor am I in any way suggesting that a Top 12 corps (including a corps like Crown) cannot be in your future. If you want it bad enough, you can get there. However, realistically after what you have already put into your previous audition, it is a safer investment of both time and money if you spend your first season with a good Semifinalist. It's NOT a negative thing to do so at all. In fact, I can promise you right now that if you went to any one of the following corps...

Troopers

Academy

Colts

Crossmen

Pacific Crest

Blue Devils B

(I won't go one corps below that)

...I believe without a doubt in my mind that you would have the most amazing summer of your entire life. With ANY of the above (14th-19th place corps). And yes, I believe with just the little info you have provided about yourself that you could have a spot in one of the above corps if you made an attempt right now. I mean, you made it to a callback for Spirit, right? I'm assuming you did based on what you have posted. If so, that is a FANTASTIC accomplishment that you should be proud of and if you came THAT close, you probably COULD make a corps as high as Troopers. You would LOVE it! In fact, a few years down the road when you ARE in your favorite DCI Finalist, you will look back at your year(s) with whichever Semifinalist level corps you spent 2012 with as one of if not YOUR ABSOLUTE favorite season of drum corps. Not only that, but your credibility will be much higher when you walk into Crown's audition room with any one of the above mentioned corps on your resume.

Also, I know I listed BDB and you were looking for World Class. However, BDB was 19th place in Semis and won Open Class. They are as good of a choice as any of the mentioned corps. Don't rule that one out (unless it IS "convenience" you are concerned about). As high as they placed in Semis, they may as well be considered world class. After all, they ARE a part of a world class organization.

Go for it! I want to see you on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium as a PROUD DCI Semifinalist Tuba Player in 2012. Spend your time and money wisely. Chalk your time auditioning for a Finalist as a FANTASTIC learning experience that I KNOW made you better and go NOW to a corps that will put a contract in your hand NOW and put a uniform on your back for 2012. You CAN do it!!!

Edited by stevedb1975

I think two of the spirit cuts are contracted at teal. I was told by a staff member that I was good enough to make the line at colts, but it is really all about convienence. I was told I was good enough to land a spot at the troopers. But again, I don't hold the money in this, and it boils down to money. I have friends at Teal Sound. All I want to do is perform and make someone happy somewhere. I don't care where I place. As long as I meet good friends and enjoy my summer, the spot in Semis means nothing to me.

• Like 1

I think two of the spirit cuts are contracted at teal. I was told by a staff member that I was good enough to make the line at colts, but it is really all about convienence. I was told I was good enough to land a spot at the troopers. But again, I don't hold the money in this, and it boils down to money. I have friends at Teal Sound. All I want to do is perform and make someone happy somewhere. I don't care where I place. As long as I meet good friends and enjoy my summer, the spot in Semis means nothing to me.

I wish more kids had your attitude!!!

Best of luck with Teal.

Really? The guy got cut from Spirit and he has "nothing to lose" trying out for Crown? How about MONEY? Please, be real. If the kid could not make Spirit, I would call it IMPOSSIBLE for him to make Crown.

This is what people don't understand. Just because a corps like Crown, BD, Cadets or Cavies may have a few "openings" to fill does NOT mean that they are hurting OR looking for just anyone available to jump into the line. The reality is, corps at that level generally have a standard for who they will accept and if they have to cut BELOW the number they are writing drill for in an effort to find the RIGHT kid for the spot(s), that's what they will do (and do all the time).

Hypothetical Example: Crown writes for 16 tubas. They have 26 (random figure) show up to audition for the line. By about the 3rd camp they have made cuts and are down to 14. Is it because they didn't have enough warm bodies to choose from? No, they had plenty and could have had 16 locked in and contracted WITH alternates by camp #2 if they wanted. However, that's not what they do. Instead, they cut who can't hang (not matter how many holes it leaves them with) and recruit from there. Hence: Crown's request to find a "tuba player with EXPERIENCE".

Therefore, it is a horrible idea to suggest to a kid who just got cut from 2011's corps #12 to audition for 2011's corps #4. The kid will never make it, will lose money...all because someone got his hopes up by giving him very BAD advice to audition for a corps that he is not ready for,

This is not opinion. It is FACT!

Steve (and the people that +1ed him), do you audition players for drum corps? Getting cut from Corps X has "almost" nothing to do with that instant time when auditioning for another corps. We have no clue what happened in his audition at SOA. We have no idea what he may have learned at SOA, in order to increase his chances elsewhere. EVERYONE wants experienced members, even Pioneer! Any money he'd spend at a quality org like Crown is NEVER a waste! If one wants to march tuba in drum corps, why not go to one of the best to see how it's done? I would've normally suggested Bluecoats Tubas in such a situation (speaking of best, when it comes to tubas), but I happen to know they're already loaded (again). Crown was looking.

Your post smacks of elitism and arrogance...normally reserved for me, lol, so that's saying something!

• Like 3

:thumbup: That's FANTASTIC!!! And even better that the spot in semis is not important to you. However, lets not fail to give credit where credit is due. Teal Sound IS a Semifinalist and a GREAT one at that. You are going to have a BLAST at Teal Sound. I can't WAIT to see you on the field with them (whoever you are). PLEASE, come back to DCP after your first camp with Teal and let us know how it went! :smile: