Best brass line of the 90's

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which brass line was the Best of the 90's?

• 1990 - Star of Indiana - Belshazzar?s Feast
    • 1991 - Star of Indiana - Roman Images
    • 1991 - Blue Devils - Conversations in Jazz
    • 1992 - Star of Indiana - American Variations
    • 1993 - Star of Indiana - Medea & Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste
    • 1994 - Blue Devils - My Spanish Heart
    • 1995 - Cadets - An American Quintet
    • 1995 - Blue Devils - Carpe Noctem
    • 1995 - Madison Scouts - A Drum Corps Fan?s Dream
    • 1996 - Phantom Regiment - A Defiant Heart
    • 1997 - Blue Devils - As Time Goes By
    • 1998 - Blue Devils - One Hand, One Heart
    • 1999 - Blue Devils - Rhythms... at the edge of time
    • 1993 - Blue Devils - A Don Ellis Portrait

OMG, I cannot believe there is a debate and that the best hornline is not winning. Talk about a mediocre show clouding the judgment of DCP'ers. Its 92 Star hands down. My friend Wayne Dillon who was on the field that night said that the performance was perfect. One of the few 9.9 in field brass. So much shaping and technique all done flawlessly.

Also, if any of you that voted for Madison 95 ever heard them up close and personal and without the percussion and pit cymbals covering stuff up, you would probably change your vote. Their warm ups in the lot was always crack and slop central. Sorry for my bluntness but, its the truth.

• Like 4

I am not sure. im only a youngin.... but is it possible that BD won it finals night, but the "high brass" was an average between the three nights back then which was a 3 way from what i have heard?

Note: I am based all on hear-say, which is why i made it a question not a statement.

This is correct. They averaged the three nights starting in 94 (which was 2 nights due to rain just to make this subject more confusing) when they went from 2 brass judges to one. In 95 quarters, Madison won brass while the Cadets and BD tied for second by a tenth. Semis, Cadets won brass with BD and Madison tied for second by a tenth. And Finals, BD won brass with Cadets and Madison tied for second by a tenth. Talk about a copout to me by the Finals judge to make that happen. (From someone who was a member of that 95 Cadets hornline)

OMG, I cannot believe there is a debate and that the best hornline is not winning. Talk about a mediocre show clouding the judgment of DCP'ers. Its 92 Star hands down. My friend Wayne Dillon who was on the field that night said that the performance was perfect. One of the few 9.9 in field brass. So much shaping and technique all done flawlessly.

Also, if any of you that voted for Madison 95 ever heard them up close and personal and without the percussion and pit cymbals covering stuff up, you would probably change your vote. Their warm ups in the lot was always crack and slop central. Sorry for my bluntness but, its the truth.

Uh-oh.

I can't wait to see how this ends!

In 1993 Star won Brass by themselves. In 1995 Cadets, Madison and Blue Devils tied for Brass.The brass award was decided then by a avarage of all three nights, and when all three nights were taken into effect those three corps tied for high brass.

You know what, I completely stand corrected on 95. I had forgot that they did the averaging and the three corps did indeed tie for brass.

HOWEVER, you are incorrect about 1993. I am looking at the recap for finals right now and it reads....

1993 Finals

Star Of Indiana 19.60

Blue Devils 19.60

The proof is on this link...

http://stason.org/TULARC/music-genres/drum-corps/4-2-2-1993-DCI-World-Championships-Jackson-MS-Results.html

Go look at the recap yourself and you will see that I am correct. And by the way, 93 was not averaged like 95 was. The averaging begun in 94. So what you see on the 93 recap is what it was.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

... good luck with that...

Mike

• Like 1

That is rude and uncalled for.

• Like 2

That is rude and uncalled for.

I figured I would get flamed and negged. Its kind of disheartening that DCP realists are often asked to put on the kid gloves when talking about who's better and why. Imagine this for a second. A panel of college football experts are talking about the Heisman trophy race. One expert singles out a leading candidate for having problems with being sloppy with the ball and being prone to fumble and for this reason states that he should NOT be the frontrunner. Can you imagine any of the other panelists not disagreeing with him but simply calling him rude and his comments un called for? Of course not. And of course this type of discussion and more heated ones that the example are par for the course in all college sports. Now, college football players and world class drum corps members are roughly the same age. Why do we treat drum corps kids differently? Cause they are musicians? Well, that would imply that musicians are weaker and more sensitive to criticism than athletes. This is not a stereotype that I want to encourage. Or is it because drum corps is not as popular as football and therefore we should protect it more by always being nice? Well, trying to protect drum corps by hyping all groups equally and not ever being critical makes us look ingenuine and makes us look like we are trying too hard to be accepted.

All in all, its not a big deal that someone gets critical on here. We're all adults. All the folks that marched 95 madison are in there 30's by now. They can take it. And for myself I can dish it and take it. When people make fun of how we (The mid-90 Cadets) bounced on the back up technique, I smile and laugh. (Partly because its so true. ) I know I just hijacked the post. Does anyone think I should start a thread on this subject?

Edited by Cadets98
  • Like 3

I respectfully disagree. I heard them at early season warm-ups/rehearsals and several shows throughout the season - usually at low vantage points, like the 4th or 5th row. That was a stellar hornline. Maybe you caught them a couple of times when they had an off night, but in the end, they did win high brass outright at Quarter-Finals and were part of a 3-way tie overall. Comparing them to 92 Star...that's another matter.

That was also a stellar hornline, and it's hard to tell how 95 Madison's hornline would have placed against them since bringing those 2 lines together would violate the laws of physics and the time/space continuum. :tongue:

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 1

Star 93 wa sgood but this one is a no brainer... Star 92 hands down. They were so good that one of our horn instructors MADE us go sit in the front stands just to hear them, hoping that some of what they did would rub off on us!