Pieces you wish a corps would incorporate?

We all have them. What are those compositions that you think would be pretty effective or just plain cool in a drum corps setting? Anything from classical or choral compositions to modern tunes. A couple that come to my mind are:

Robert Spittal's "Pacem: A Hymn for Peace." This particular arrangement is for a brass choir. It's got some great lyrical stuff and is rather pretty.

Rachmaninov's "Ave Maria" from his Vespers. Here's

and here is a
. Beautiful, with an amazing climax.

Those are just the ones that are off the top of my head. But what are some of yours?

Pardon me if one or more of these have already been performed, and feel free to tell me if they are because I would love to hear them!

Findlandia- sibelius

The Typerwriter and/or Blue Tango- Leroy Anderson

Any of the Knee Plays from Einstein on the Beach- Philip Glass

Sleep or Godzilla Eats Las Vegas- Eric Whitacre

Prelude, Sciliano and Rondo- Malcolm Arnold

Fifth Symphony and/or Marche Slave - Tchaikovsky

Rite of Spring- Stravinsky

Fanfare for the Common Man- Aaron Copland

Slavonic Dance No.1- Dvorak

• Like 2

The Typerwriter and/or Blue Tango- Leroy Anderson

Leroy Anderson wrote a ton of brilliant musical bon mots, almost all of which are too light and/or happy for the angst of modern DCI arranging. The pieces of his I would love to see on the field include Belle of the Ball, Home Stretch and, of course, The Phantom Regiment (which gave our beloved corps its name).

I reiterate from last year when I posted this... Someone HAS to do selections from Yasushi Akutagawa's "Ellora Symphony"

Primal Bacchanale from "Ellora Symphony" by Yasushi Akutagawa

Similar to: Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

While we're at it...

The Lake at Evening by Charles Tomlinson Griffes (would make a wonderful ballad)

The Execution of Stepan Razin by Dmitri Shostakovich (imagine Phantom's or Crown's low brass blasting through this)

Toccata from "Le Tombeau de Couperin by Maurice Ravel

Toccata by the (criminally underperformed) Paul Creston

Assuming that there is not a copywrite nightmare I have been waiting for years to hear Dave Grusin's 'Mud Island Chase' from the soundtrack of The Firm. I am shocked that BD didn't do it back when they were doing a lot of movie music. They would tear this piece up!

Here's something from Arizona Academy. I don't really understand what this is. It's pinano music, with dude dancing around with bugles. But, the music is there, the choreography is cool, and it's coolness is obvious to me.

Edited by jplattSCV
  • Like 1

Leroy Anderson wrote a ton of brilliant musical bon mots, almost all of which are too light and/or happy for the angst of modern DCI arranging.

Oh, I don't know. I think design trends are cyclical, and I think it's about time to swing back to the lighter/happier stuff and away from the darker/angst-driven stuff