Broken Arrow - where would they place at DCI?

49 members have voted

1. 1. Where would BA Place at the 2011 DCI Championships

• 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • 13th
    • 14th
    • 15th
    • 16th
    • 17th
    • 18th
    • 19th
    • 20th
    • 21st
    • 22nd
    • 23nd
    • 24th
    • 25th

I like waffles... :thumbup:

• Like 2

Totally agree. This is the most amazingly moronic thread I have seen in weeks. What I heard in that youtube clip was terrible. If anyone thinks that that level of performance approaches a DCI corps they are either in the Broken Arrow band themselves, or deaf and blind. Actually even a deaf and blind person would place them dead last. Not only was it terrible sounding quality wise, it was BORING.

Hey, again. The point of this thread was curiostity. Nothing else. You act like I came in here and said "hey, I think the Broken Arrow Band would place in the Top 8 at DCI finals". I don't even think they would place in the top 15. I just posted a question for discussion. That's it. So don't be rude by calling it (or me - which that implies) "moronic".

Lastly, I am in agreement that it would not place much above the 20s (if even in the teens at all) but to call it "terrible", I think that is stretching it. This is the BOA National Champion you are talking about here. They are not "terrible".

This is pretty much the most ridiculous topic I've seen on DCP....and I've seen A LOT of ridiculous topics on DCP. Band is band, drum corps is drum corps. There is no comparison!

Again, it was just a question. I realize the differences between band and corps and also realize the difficulty of comparison, that's why I addressed that in my original post and called it "hypothetical". Like I said earlier, it would be ridiculous if I was clearly fishing for this band to get praise at the level of a top 12 corps and supported it by saying "I think they would make finals". That would be ridiculous. However, I didn't do that. I simply asked a question and even followed it up by voting quite low in the poll myself.

So why did I post it? Perhaps I should have clarified that sooner to avoid flames.

I went to BOA Grand Nationals this past November. First one I had been to in years. Sat through all of Semifinals and did not stay for finals. A great deal of the bands there made me want to get a hot dog, though a few impressed me quite a bit, a couple that really impressed me and then about 3 (the top 3 - BA, Avon and Carmel) just blew me away.

Upon getting in my car, I had the feeling that by the end of the event I had been desensitized because I drove away almost depressed with the feeling that those top 3 bands were at a DCI Finalist level. I couldn't really fathom how they could be which is why I feel that after sitting through some 30 bands, I was desensitized.

The reality is if you step away, clear your head and look at the whole thing objectively IN comparison (which is why I posted this thread), one can see that there is not much comparison beyond the corps that place in the 20s. However, I was also curious how others view the topic and if other are often desensitized by their impressions at a BOA event. And obviously there are because people are voting "10th place' which I agree is "ridiculous".

The short end of it all, I was curious to see what the reaction to this question and this thread would be. And now I know (and can confirm even my own opinions that the top BOA band in the country is not even close to a finalist level). That's all the point of this was.:smile:

They would not do well at all in performance captions, and that would pull down their design score. They wouldn't do well in the Guard caption either, the demand just isn't there.

For this exercise, I looked at the clip of Broken Arrow and imagined that the instruments were replaced with a drum corps horn line. If the kids had the same ability with these instruments, they would be competitive. The musical program is rather sophisticated and seemed to be reasonably good. The color guard moved throughout the show. I didn't find that the drum line came across all that well, though I would be willing to blame my computer sound system on that. I also don't think it was filmed from the best vantage point. Some of the maneuvering looked rather odd which I think was due to camera angle, it was hard to tell formations, and it did not look as clean as some drum corps shows this past summer. I say this based on this clip. Perhaps if I saw the show live, I'd be praising it to the hilt, but it is still a solid performance.

Now, how would it have placed at DCI? I'm going to use three corps I'm familiar with to make this decision: Jersey Surf, the Spartans, and 7th Regiment (25th, 26th, and 31st in prelims respectively). Based on this clip, I would say they are not as good as Surf or Spartans. They could be in 7th Regiment's range, but they'd have to be a bit more solid throughout. In Open Class they'd be a contender, World Class I'm not so sure, but if age out rather than graduation were the case, and this groups stayed together another two or three years, they'd be a force.

Most important point that should be agreed upon by all pageantry enthusiasts, whether band or drum corps after watching this clip: funding combined with a quality instructional staff makes for a wonderful program of musical quality. Support arts funding in schools!

Ehhh. I'm not sure I would go much lower than 25th (which is why my poll stopped there). I think they would be in semis (the top 25) but not very high. Putting them below "Spartans", I think they are better than that. No way Pioneer would beat them and I watched 7th Regiment's show after you posted this and I think BA is better than that too. I voted 18th as a very liberal (benefit of the doubt) vote but realistically I think they would be in the 20s not any lower than 25 and not any higher than 20.

They would not do well at all in performance captions, and that would pull down their design score. They wouldn't do well in the Guard caption either, the demand just isn't there.

See, that last part is where I see it differently. I thought their guard was amazing. As for "performance"? Depends. Musically, very rough. A lot of feet in the sound and stick outs. However, visually their body movement (specifically) is just outrageous! When I saw their semefinals performance I thought to myself, there is no way they can get that kind of precision in their body movement ("dance", whatever you want to call it) on just a couple of hours of after school rehearsal a few times a week. I think they must be taking some movement/dance classes in addition to their time on the field. That aspect of their "performance/execution" is pretty amazing and would at least get a nod from DCI judges on the low end of semifinals.

Well, at least you didn't waste a lot of time pretending you weren't a troll.

Excuse me? How am I a troll for posting this kind of a thread? Geeez people get a grip. It's just a discussion. Why the flames and rudeness?

Ok, you know what? Mods, close this. Obviously (by being called a troll) we can't have a civilized discussion on this topic without flames and rudeness (despite how objective and reasonable my own opinions are on this topic). This thread isn't worth it. Close it, please.

they would do very very poorly in performance captions (especially percussion and brass)

They would do better than people think in design captions ... but still not enough for them to compete with most world class corps....

fwiw they might be pretty competitive in open class.... maybe dominating design captions.

I agree with that sort of

I would add that by doing so it’d kill their GE and tank their design

they do a great job for what they do