Ron Beyer passes

Thanks Jeff, there was a lot about Ron I never knew. Including that he was a John Harris grad as was my mom....

Hello all I was asked to pass this following information on..

This Up coming sunday March 4th there will be a memorial / Celebration of Rons life at the following Location

The Market Cross Pub

113 N hanover street

Carlisle PA

From 2 pm till _____

please feel free to spread the word

I first met Ron, his wife Sandy, daughter Heather, brother Tom and neice Bonnie in Aug, 2003 - at the DCI EAST weekend in Allentown. We had been attending since 1995, but decided to move closer to the stadium.

My friends and I make the trip every year - sort of male bonding weekend. We tailgate in the corner of the back parking lot behind the Ham Fam and form a connected village of awnings - and friends. It's aptly named "Pineville" and Ron Beyer, a local resident and grand poobah - was the annointed Mayor of Pineville.

We met each year - same time - same place and would catch up on everything - family - drum corps - new "cocktails" - and anyone that has visited us, or Ron, would be introduced to each other as friends.

We've drive through the night from Boston, arriving in Allentown around 9am. The routine was sacred - a call to Ron to announce our arrival, meet at the Ham Fam for breakfast, then claim our parking spots. Set up our awnings, get a shopping list of things for later in the day - ice - munchies - and beverages. Before going into the show - we'd always have a ceremonial "woo-woo" - a special liquid concoction to kick off the night contest. Sometimes, we didn't even make it into the show.

Ron took great pride in buying all of the available parking spots from the parking attendants - it was his way of taking care of his friends - and wanting to make sure he was surrounded with friends. If you didn't know Ron, you were NOT parking in the area. He'd leave a space empty before re-selling it to a stranger.

Although Ron and a majority of his friends were "senior corps", we shared talking about our "junior corps" adventures with him. His war stories were told with great passion and eyes wide open. He loved the 27th Lancers, and was especially fond of the Santa Clara Vanguard. He loved the Westshormen, and Cabs - but there was some disdain for the Bucs. I am sure deep down he respected the corps and its members, but it was great to see Ron get animated talking about "bad blood in the old days."

On Saturday, all of us would repeat the previous day's schedule. Ron usually made arrangements for a local barbecue chain to deliver a complete meal to "Pineville." Everyone would chip in, and it became another ritual. Late Saturday evening, after the busses had gone, it was time to pack up. We'd get emotional, winding down, knowing that we'd not see each other for another year. We always cleaned up to make sure the ASD would allow us back - we all respected the space and wanted to preserve our weekend adventure.

We got to know Ron in a unique way - a drum corps way - one that "outsiders" would never understand. Along with his brother Tom, and neice Bonnie, the 3 of them knew they could count on us showing up. Like most siblings - Tom and Ron would have some differnt views on the same subject - and the gauntlet would be thrown down. I am not sure which brother ever won a bet - but it was always fun to listen and watch them.

We shared more than one beverage over the years, and this year, we'll be in the same spot - less one great friend. And in his honor and memory, we raise a toast in respect for our mutual friendship.

God bless Ron - we'll take care of Pineville - but it won't be the same without you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a little late, but thank you so much. My dad bled this activity. He was a part of it since he was a young teen. It didn't matter if it was Jr. or Sr., color guard or marching bands. If it was the marching arts, it was his passion. It WAS and IS his family. No wonder why I have been luck to have been a part of it for the past 25 years.

Pineville was his pride and joy. Having his friends coming in that weekend... well, Dad talked about it for 6 months before and 6 months after. He loved the stories, the friends, the drinks and the fun. It was HIS time, and it was his favorite. Dad may not be there this summer physically, but he will be there. No doubt. He wouldn't miss it for the world. Especially to say how much the Cabs will win this summer and how great SCV is. :)

Thank you all again.

I first met Ron, his wife Sandy, daughter Heather, brother Tom and neice Bonnie in Aug, 2003 - at the DCI EAST weekend in Allentown. We had been attending since 1995, but decided to move closer to the stadium.

My friends and I make the trip every year - sort of male bonding weekend. We tailgate in the corner of the back parking lot behind the Ham Fam and form a connected village of awnings - and friends. It's aptly named "Pineville" and Ron Beyer, a local resident and grand poobah - was the annointed Mayor of Pineville.

We met each year - same time - same place and would catch up on everything - family - drum corps - new "cocktails" - and anyone that has visited us, or Ron, would be introduced to each other as friends.

We've drive through the night from Boston, arriving in Allentown around 9am. The routine was sacred - a call to Ron to announce our arrival, meet at the Ham Fam for breakfast, then claim our parking spots. Set up our awnings, get a shopping list of things for later in the day - ice - munchies - and beverages. Before going into the show - we'd always have a ceremonial "woo-woo" - a special liquid concoction to kick off the night contest. Sometimes, we didn't even make it into the show.

Ron took great pride in buying all of the available parking spots from the parking attendants - it was his way of taking care of his friends - and wanting to make sure he was surrounded with friends. If you didn't know Ron, you were NOT parking in the area. He'd leave a space empty before re-selling it to a stranger.

Although Ron and a majority of his friends were "senior corps", we shared talking about our "junior corps" adventures with him. His war stories were told with great passion and eyes wide open. He loved the 27th Lancers, and was especially fond of the Santa Clara Vanguard. He loved the Westshormen, and Cabs - but there was some disdain for the Bucs. I am sure deep down he respected the corps and its members, but it was great to see Ron get animated talking about "bad blood in the old days."

On Saturday, all of us would repeat the previous day's schedule. Ron usually made arrangements for a local barbecue chain to deliver a complete meal to "Pineville." Everyone would chip in, and it became another ritual. Late Saturday evening, after the busses had gone, it was time to pack up. We'd get emotional, winding down, knowing that we'd not see each other for another year. We always cleaned up to make sure the ASD would allow us back - we all respected the space and wanted to preserve our weekend adventure.

We got to know Ron in a unique way - a drum corps way - one that "outsiders" would never understand. Along with his brother Tom, and neice Bonnie, the 3 of them knew they could count on us showing up. Like most siblings - Tom and Ron would have some differnt views on the same subject - and the gauntlet would be thrown down. I am not sure which brother ever won a bet - but it was always fun to listen and watch them.

We shared more than one beverage over the years, and this year, we'll be in the same spot - less one great friend. And in his honor and memory, we raise a toast in respect for our mutual friendship.

God bless Ron - we'll take care of Pineville - but it won't be the same without you.

well said. I look forward to seeing you in Pineville for many years