Music for a Starry Night

"Entertaining"? Perhaps. "Higher quality"? Not a chance (and laughable). Broken Arrow was the 2011 Bands Of America Grand National Champion. South Brunswick (though good) is not even comparable to Broken Arrow. Please, don't be ridiculous.

Whoa, No need to bash the band... was merely sharing. I was unaware of another band in BOA doing the show.

I think the real issue is why drumcorps feel the need to copy marching bands!!! *im kidding*

<I love how you picked "tubas," tx. ;) >

You're welcome...I picked them because, usually a drill designer will say, 'hmmm...big ugly horns that no one can see around...I'll put them in the back, where they won't bother anyone'. And, VOILA - balance problems, all season long.

Only the Bluecoats seemed to know how to stage tubas. And I don't think the Bluecoats drill people made the jump to SCV. Perhaps the new brass staff will be able to wield some clout and get the - in my opinion - most important section of the brass staged well. Then, when they turn the knobs to 11 on the pit, and all the new toys, people will still be able to hear the music.

<"WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ACCOUSTIC OR ELECTRIC AMPLIFICATION" (THEIR words....not mine).>

Please...this thing...like all things in the pit...WILL be amplified. Someone is going to say, 'oh, but our new aloeveraphony can't be heard over the tubas...punch that up a smidge...' - and before long, the smidge has turned into an ear splitting squeal, and the tubas are lost. Let's hope that does not happen...and that I'm just having a dark moment here...

Don't worry about losing the tubas. They will just crank up the volume on the synthesizer bass line.

<Only the Bluecoats seemed to know how to stage tubas. And I don't think the Bluecoats drill people made the jump to SCV. Perhaps the new brass staff will be able to wield some clout and get the - in my opinion - most important section of the brass staged well. Then, when they turn the knobs to 11 on the pit, and all the new toys, people will still be able to hear the music.

...or the new brass staff will be insistent that the staging be effective.

• Like 1

Whoa, No need to bash the band... was merely sharing. I was unaware of another band in BOA doing the show.

I think the real issue is why drumcorps feel the need to copy marching bands!!! *im kidding*

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I was not bashing the Brunswick band (they are very good). I was simply pointing out someone else's foolishness in their comparisons of Brunswuck with Broken Arrow. And Broken Arrow did not do the same show, either, which is why I'm not even sure why the user I replied to brought them up.

Edited by stevedb1975

I am excited for this show, I am as excited for the show from SCV, as I was for their Ballet for Martha (which is still a #### good show).

I have been hearing some stuff coming out of camps from a few little birdies I know, and they turn out to be true.. Oh man..

• Like 2

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I was not bashing the Brunswick band (they are very good). I was simply pointing out someone else's foolishness in their comparisons of Brunswuck with Broken Arrow. And Broken Arrow did not do the same show, either, which is why I'm not even sure why the user I replied to brought them up.

Broken Arrow's winds sounded awful. SB had a great core sound. And a more entertaining show. And it's not often someone puts a hs band show up on DCP. It was bound to get a comment of some sorts. And both bands are very comparable. Correct me, but hasn't SB been very competitive in BOA in past years?? Meh this is all off topic though...

Anyway. I'm excited for SCV this year. I'm ready to hear what this music design team does with some more freedoms now that they aren't at phantom, because they did some amazing stuff together even while trying to maintain the phantom image. (Into the Light, Harmonic Journey to name a few of my favorite products... pretty much every show during their time together there)

SCV has always been one of my corps. I even really enjoyed last year's show and the Bartok show. With more accessible music and a better brass team it is something to look forward to. (Note: I'm not knocking Key one bit. I've really enjoyed his arrangements. He is truly talented. Can't kock the guy who gave us 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009 out of the years that seemed to be widely liked, and some wonderful, respectful arrangements of other music in other years.)

Anyway, go SCV!

• Like 1