CHANGING THE NUMBERS IN A HORNLINE

Sure did. The Biebl Ave Maria is -- by far -- my favorite PR piece of all time. It was every Cesario adjective -- bathtub of luscious dark chocolate etc... -- rolled into one.

And it's probably one of the best examples of OPs topic as well. GREAT effect using all that low brass in the first part of the piece.

Cannot agree more. Still one of my favorite moments ever in DCI history.

Kinda risky too. They put their trumpets down, picked up the baris and immediately came in playing the melody. And they sounded like a baritone section, a good bari section. Beautiful. And then they switched back to trumpets and created one of the greatest brass moments ever (with ZERO percussion support). Everything about that ballad was perfect. The visual, the arranging, the performing. It was really something special.

(2006 Regiment always ends up as my favorite show of all time every time I think about my favorite shows)

I say we replace the tubas with 16 of these bass-marimba.jpg

Shoot... just put a bunch of 'em out on a field and call it drum corps! :rolleyes:

But were the guard members all playing or was it just a visual?

Some did play, but not all. I'd say about half, maybe a few more, could actually play the instrument. We had a number of musicians who were in the guard

Keep in mind that with 24 trumpets, 16 mellos, 24 Bari's/Euph's, and 16 contras its balanced in relation to parts. 3 trumpet parts where the 1st part is sometimes split on chords, 2 mello parts, usually 2 bari / 1 euph part, and 1 contra part which sometimes is in octaves or 5th's. If you think about the balance pyramid that has been taught in schools this is pretty balanced IMO. Adding more to the bottom was the perfect solution a couple years ago.

Keep in mind that with 24 trumpets, 16 mellos, 24 Bari's/Euph's, and 16 contras its balanced in relation to parts. 3 trumpet parts where the 1st part is sometimes split on chords, 2 mello parts, usually 2 bari / 1 euph part, and 1 contra part which sometimes is in octaves or 5th's. If you think about the balance pyramid that has been taught in schools this is pretty balanced IMO. Adding more to the bottom was the perfect solution a couple years ago.

Another way to split the parts was used by the late Jim Ott w/ the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta hornline. For certain parts of the show, i.e., Georgia, last 45 seconds of the show, etc. he had each player playing in the range where they were loudest.

It worked. That hornline had to be heard live to be believed.