Gamekid

Just introducing myself as a new forum member.

I found the forum when I was trying to find out which Corps I want to try out for next year, a Google corps lead me to a topic on here. I read around and decided to join.

To tell you a little about myself - first as a music lover....

I'm a junior in high school, I've played trombone since 5th grade, I picked up the baritone a couple months ago (for the obvious reason) and have had a ton of fun with it. My first DCI experience was really my brothers going when they were in high school - they brought back a video for me. :) I fell in love with Phantom, mainly because they had too. My favorite corps are: Phantom, Crown, Mad Scouts, Pioneer.

Other than that... I play tennis (although I quit the school's team this year) I run (although I similarly quit the school's XC team this year) so yeah, I just do band and academic team now. :) I've got two older brothers, both marched sax in high school. One marches sax in college right now.

Gamekid,

Welcome to the Forums. You didn't say where you live and that can have a bearing on which way go, but I can tell you that it is highly unlikely you will get on with a World Class Corps as they rarely use High Schoolers. They go for College Music Makers.

However there are all age corps that do recruit High Schoolers. Take a look at DCA.org.

You may also want to consider calling some nearby WC Corps and see if staff members offer lessons.

You would have a better chance starting with Pioneer

Just afew things to consider. Good luck.

Kevin

Typical Band Geek. He doesn't do anything except study and play his horn. What a Band-Aid.

Welcome aboard, Kid, you're in good company here. You remind me of myself, when I was your age and, I'd bet, many others here will say the same thing.

Good luck with tryouts for PR. They've always been a favorite because they play classical. Hope you have a good love for that genre, too.

A few pieces of (unsolicited) advice I'll give you about DCP.

First, state your opinion and don't be a wimp. People here respect a strong opinion that can take the heat.

Second, IT'S NOT PERSONAL! We don't even know who you are, but we'll get to know what you think. Many will state their strong opinions for, or against, you.

Third, read a lot and post a lot. Names like Ream and Boo will become recognizable. You'll like some, you won't others. Regardless, keep up and enter the fray.

Fourth, have fun! As a band geek turned drum corps geek I make DCP a daily view, even if I have variable amounts of time to post.

So, jump in, have fun, and speak your mind.

(Oh, and type well. You'll (rightly) get nailed for poor english and grammar. One guy keeps hammering on something about Bluecoats being one word... :tongue:)

Edited by garfield

To tell you a little about myself - first as a music lover....

I'm a junior in high school, I've played trombone since 5th grade, I picked up the baritone a couple months ago (for the obvious reason) and have had a ton of fun with it. My first DCI experience was really my brothers going when they were in high school - they brought back a video for me. :) I fell in love with Phantom, mainly because they had too. My favorite corps are: Phantom, Crown, Mad Scouts, Pioneer.

LOL, ain't fingerings a bugger for us poor trombone players? :tongue:

Yeah, started trombone in 4th grade and joined a Senior (now called All Age) corps when I was a Jr in HS. Easier for me since we didn't have a third valve... or a second valve either (OK, rotor was valve #2).

Welcome... enjoy... bring your own perspective....

Don't get discouraged by Kevin's post.

It never hurts to go and audition at a world class corps. In fact there are many high schoolers in the lower finalist on down corps. And if you are talented enough you can make it in anywhere. But it doesn't hurt to go audition for that top corps see where you are, and you will gain a great and enlightening experience just from auditioning. If you don't make go march somewhere else. Just march. It doesn't matter where... they will be your friends and family for life.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Kevin - Thanks for an honest starting opinion. I have been considering looking at some DCA - if I can find one near me.

Garfield - Thanks for all of the tips, they mean a ton to me. And yes - I love classical music, that's why my love for PR stays strong.

Jim - Ain't that the truth, it's the worst being able to hear the note, singing it in my head, and I press the wrong valve and am lipping it way up or down and it sounds terrible.

Kicks - Thanks, I'm enough of a realist that I can take some heat from posts like Kevins. And I am trying out for a world class corps this month!!

Thanks for the welcoming and advice!

Here's a little more...

I'm from Kentucky.

At the end of this month, I'm trying out for the Mad Scouts (I can't wait)

Jim - Ain't that the truth, it's the worst being able to hear the note, singing it in my head, and I press the wrong valve and am lipping it way up or down and it sounds terrible.

I'll admit to reading off the fingerings I wrote on the charts for the first year or so. :tongue: After I came back after a long layoff I had to learn the fingerings that used the third valve ("Where's my pen?")

At the end of this month, I'm trying out for the Mad Scouts (I can't wait)

Good luck....

Jason,

No heat intended by anything I said, and I don't know how it could be taken that way. Facts are not heat or criticism. I have been told by WCorps Directors and operations people that they will not consider anyone under 18 under any circumstance and thay consider it a waste of their time to audition someone who cannot play to their standards and just wants the experience of auditioning.

Since each Corps has its own rules for membership, you should consider looking at their membership criteria on their websites.

As for lessons, you don't appear to be close enough to any Corps to be able to take personal lessons, but Southwind was located in Kentucky. They are trying to start back, but in their original home - Alabama, but they may have Kentucky contacts. There is a Southwind topic on the Planet. You may want to inquire with them.

Another possibility would be to take lessons by CD or tape. Look at Wayne Downeys site. I don't know if Jim teaches, but I'm sure he will have some good ideas.

Last idea for now, call the University Music Departments. UK could be a place to start. I don't know about Louisville. Sometimes the smaller schools like EKU, WKU have better programs and teachers than the big schools. There's an old joke about a guy walking down a New York City street who is trying to get to a concert. He asks a passerby, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The answer " practice, practice, practice". A good teacher or set of lessons can help your progress.