Why Do You Do It?

Hey gang!

For a final paper in one of my college courses, we have to write a research paper on a musical tradition or topic, and I have chosen Drum Corps as the focus of my investigation.

Basically, I have a couple of important questions that I would like to hear some of your responses to!

a) What drew you to first participate in drum corps?

b) What about the activity compelled you to stay in drum corps?

c) How has drum corps impacted/affected your life in any way, shape, or form?

Thank you all! Feel free to list what corps you have participated in as well, especially if that specific corps is related to your answer for any of the above questions.

I appreciate any responses!!!

Thanks again!

JW

Hey gang!

For a final paper in one of my college courses, we have to write a research paper on a musical tradition or topic, and I have chosen Drum Corps as the focus of my investigation.

Basically, I have a couple of important questions that I would like to hear some of your responses to!

Thank you all! Feel free to list what corps you have participated in as well, especially if that specific corps is related to your answer for any of the above questions.

Thanks again!

JW

OK, I'll give it a shot. It might help to tell you that I was 12 when I started, in 1975. If you get enough answers it might be interesting to see if the year has anything to do with the answers.

a. A guy I knew from YMCA camp the previous year (he was a consuler) came to my band class in Jr. High and showed us a movie about drum corps. I can't rmemeber the name of it, but I saw it a few times here and there after that. Anyhow, he invited us to come to the next practice. I did, and since I played tuba (for all of about 6 months at this point) they did not hesitate to give me a horn and put me in the line.

b. Let's see... 12 years old and hanging around all of these older folks who pretty much treated me like one of them. Oh, yeah, and when the horn line cranked it up it was pure power, like nothing I had ever felt before. Then came the first season and the crowds. And the applause. Better than drugs.

c. I know for a fact that if a group of people has good leadership and agrees on the direction they want to move, they can accomplish miracles.

Edited by Wort

Hey gang!

Thanks again!

JW

a) Dad signed me up for the feeder group of the corps his VFW post in Livingston NJ sponsored, in 1964...I was 10 1/2.

b) I enjoyed marching and competing, esp when I joined the Cadets for the 1970 season. I was a music ed major in college, and when I started teaching was during the era when corps-style bands were getting ever more popular in NJ, so I taught corps and started judging corps and band.

c) Of course the little things learned in corps about teamwork and dedication helped, plus to this day I still teach part-time in the band world and arrange the music for the band I teach, so I keep my hand in that way. I have never really left the marching/music activity in some form or other since I started in 1964.

I marched in a really good band and got a chance to see drum corps on PBS back in 80. The Crossmen were up the road in West Chester so it was close enough to join.

No longer participate but still a fan.

It gave me boring stories to tell my kids but overall really good memories. I've only talked to 2 people from when I marched. Friends with a couple of Facebook.

Thanks again!

JW

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang!

Thanks again!

JW

a) I was very into marching band in my first two years of high school (much more than normal for someone at my school) and was looking up videos on YouTube of bands I have competed against. Somehow that led me to a video of the 2002 Cavaliers, which led me to find a drum corps in my area and the rest is history.

b) I've honestly been on and off with my interest in participating since the beginning, but I always stuck with it because it's something I truly love. Also, performing and rehearsing gives me a much-needed break from the boring and frustrating series of events that makes up my mostly average life.

c) Before drum corps, there were a lot of things wrong with me. I was extremely shy, somewhat depressing, and a very picky eater, but more importantly I didn't have too many friends that I could really form a meaningful connection with. Drum corps fixed all of those problems by forcing me to come out of my shell and try new things that I was previously afraid of. I definitely would not be the same jolly outgoing person I am now if it wasn't for my involvement with the activity.

Hey gang!

Seeing the 1977 Kilts on tv.

The education in the marching arts and oddly, the experience of retreat, where you were able to enjoy the fruits of your hard days work.

I went on to teach, direct, arrange, volunteer and indeed be a donor for many corps that I marched in or against in my day. My philosophy is shared daily in my current teachings. I am also still very active performing in alumni corps and other musical arts.

The list is very long, but most especially The Kilts, Velvet Knights and Santa Clara Vanguard.

Thanks again!

JW