1993 Star of Indiana is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

I guess that makes me preachy.

Oh, I have no problem with being preachy; I just don't want to appear that I am. :shutup:

• Like 1

One of the most musical flag books I've ever seen. The guard that year had finally caught up to the rest of the corps !

Later,

Mike

Indeed. That moment in the clip from 1:19-1:24 couldn't have been written any other way.

Lazy me...but who wrote the guard book that year?

I sat at 93 Finals next to a drum corps old timer from Wisconsin. An enjoyable fellow who talked about the glory days of old school drum corps. At the end of Star’s performance I sat dumfounded by what I had just witnessed. This show, I thought, changes everything.

The old timer was dumfounded also.

“That’s not drum corps” he proclaimed, "If you can’t hum it, and tap your foot to it, it ain’t drum corps.”

Come on down to Reverend Boo's...he'll save your drum corps soul!

And if you put a quarter on the drum, I'll play you a paradiddle that will put a smile on your face and a spring in your step.

• Like 2

I wasn't involved or around drum corps that summer and many more following. I was about 4 years old when this took place. But I will admit at the first view of this show even after playing some pretty modern music still didn't sit well with me the first time. But I gave it a few more shots and boy was I glad I did! This is on the top of my list of favorite shows and always share it with my students during the fall. Plus, being taught by people who marched that corps was probably the next best thing to marching them. So glad I witnessed the alumni corps in 2010. Great way to close out my 21 and under drum corps career.

p.s I wish I could've seen this live from the front as well.

You are not alone in that evolution of opinion. I aged out in '92 so that was my first finals as a spectator. I knew what I was seeing was special in terms of performance, but I too must embarrasingly admit that it still left me wanting something more at the time in terms of design. But, it is easily in the top 5 of shows that are in my rotation on ITunes now almost 20 years later. It is shocking to me now that it was the design that left me wanting at the time since that is 90% of what makes it great. I would love a time machine at my disposal to go back and watch that show live knowing what I believe to be a fact now. The fact is...It is impossible to overstate how ahead of its time this show actually was.

greatness.

As I have done in the past, I see a stark parallel between SOI 93 and BD 2010. IMO, many (not all) of those that scratched their heads at BD10 will see it differently in time. And Semi-finals 2010 will always be one of my fondest memories....the seemingly endless standing O that the SOI Alumni recieved and having my youngin' (age out) being serenaded (face to face) on the field by the SOI alumni playing "when you wish upon a star".....that's drum corps!

• Like 2

I sat at 93 Finals next to a drum corps old timer from Wisconsin. An enjoyable fellow who talked about the glory days of old school drum corps. At the end of Star’s performance I sat dumfounded by what I had just witnessed. This show, I thought, changes everything.

The old timer was dumfounded also.

“That’s not drum corps” he proclaimed, "If you can’t hum it, and tap your foot to it, it ain’t drum corps.”

He was just presaging the new philosophy. :cool:

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1

Really? A downrating for both a smiley face and admitting why I didn't use those lyrics? (It's hard to be honest around some people.)