1991 Cavaliers is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

1989 didn't thrill me too much. But 1990 through, really, 1994 are all fantastic shows. Fun to watch, fun to listen to.

And, "IT'S A CAN OF CORN, CAVIES!" from 1990 is still probably my favorite fan shout of all time. :thumbup:

1989 didn't thrill me too much. But 1990 through, really, 1994 are all fantastic shows. Fun to watch, fun to listen to.

And, "IT'S A CAN OF CORN, CAVIES!" from 1990 is still probably my favorite fan shout of all time. :thumbup:

As a member in '90, I love that yell. Was that Bruno? ph34r.gif

I think the Cavies, starting partially in '88 but full-bore in '89, put together incredibly athletic shows with a top-notch drumline. Brass wasn't *bad*, but they weren't putting all of the pieces together as the other sections did. (Of course, in top-level DCI, we're talking tiny degrees of separation here.)

The intro drill to that '91 show is still wonderful - that was still Steve B, yes? Those 89-90-91 shows had such great opening moments. And the ballad is still a wonderful (and slightly non-traditional) rendition of Silent Night. Yes, yes, and the drum feature.

Okay, I'm listing pretty much every element of the show. I guess I'm trying to say... I really, really like that show.

Mike

As someone who marched the '90 show, I can say that the brass sectionals were not where we did most of our rehearsal.

I know that Star, for instance, put march more time into brass sectionals in '89 than we did in '90 Cavies...

Conversely, Star '89 didn't put as much time into the visual aspects of the shows as Cavies '90.

Anyway, that's from my personal experience those two years. So I totally understand the brass comments. Things have completely changed since then.

Eh, like I said, at the top level it's all shades of distinction. Those are still probably my favorite Cavalier corps of all time, regardless (89-91).

Mike

I LOVED the 85-92 shows. There are old critics of the Cavalier brass lines from back then and I'm trying to partially address them.

As a euphonium major, I can say that the baritone parts that I played in Cavies '90 were not as challenging to play as the baritone parts I learned at Star in '89.

The visual aspects were the opposite. Cavies '90 drill ( by Brubaker) was much more demanding than Star's drill ( also by Brubaker???) in '89, so that fits what I'm trying to share as an explanation as to why Cavies didn't quite have their brass up to the level of the rest of the corps at that time..

It was interesting to look at the numbers someone put up in this thread and see how brass was the difference in '91 between Star and the Cavaliers.

Of course I didn't design any of this, so I don't if the focus was conscious, or based on the expertise that each corps had in instruction and design at the time ( if that makes sense).

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

I thought '89 hit that sweet spot between sophisticated programming and go-home-humming music. Rutter's stuff tends to do that. And the drill during the quiet parts - intro and ballad ... genius. (Glad they got rid of the stripe on the pants, though...)

Mike