Blue Devils Pre-Season Release

I think the right visual program will make this show shoot through the roof, artistically.

Maybe the field product won't get certain audience members to stop sitting on their hands. But that's not really in BD's control.

This has grown on me a lot over the course of the day.

And we allllllready know that the guard is gonna bring it.

Oh man I'm tellin you. I don't usually pay much attention to guard stuff but this one is really interesting!

Edited by flammaster
  • Like 1

I knew that this show needed a visual component to bring if fully to life. I have seen run through's and thought I knew what to expect. Watching tonight in full uniform under the lights I was blown away at the difference. The excitement, energy and visual package is amazing! This will be another fantastic year for the Dev's.

• Like 1

Geez there's a lot of prerecorded stuff in the first half, some of it I could understand, but there's a lot that's being covered up and cluttering the music about 2 - 4 minutes in. Ok, I got that off my chest.

I like it, more so than 2009, and 2010, about like last year. I think this one's more like 2008. Lots of great soloist/small ensemble work and a VERY VERY good drumline/pit. The Bird and Bela in B Flat section sounds a lot like what they did in 91. The last about minute and a half is a build into what seems like a jam out section, but I have a feeling there is at least another 1 1/2, 2 minutes to add. I don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it. I just, like it. :smile:

My only big criticism is some of the prerecorded stuff that's cluttering up some music in the first half of the show.

Edit: I have a feeling with some changes, rewrites, and typical over the season development by the end of the season I WILL love it. :bluedevil:

It sounded much better tonight than on the recording. I think already they have improved it. The covered up parts were not there anymore and it was much cleaner. But you are right they will change it over the season - just think of how the 1930 show changed.

Most of all the MUSIC PLAY GREAT - it is so jazzy and sounds so great and the big loud endings and enthusiasm from the corps really comes through on the field. It is very exciting.

I knew that this show needed a visual component to bring if fully to life. I have seen run through's and thought I knew what to expect. Watching tonight in full uniform under the lights I was blown away at the difference. The excitement, energy and visual package is amazing! This will be another fantastic year for the Dev's.

I have to agree with you as tonight we really saw the total package come together with the AMAZING thumbup.gifMUSIC and the uniforms and the guard package. Really fantastic ideas. I loved the Jazz & how exciting the music was tonight.

all I can say is..

In your FACE!!! worthy.gif

and watch out for SCV they are better then I have seen them in years! (this could be another 1999)

• Like 3

all I can say is..

In your FACE!!! worthy.gif

and watch out for SCV they are better then I have seen them in years! (this could be another 1999)

"This could be another 1999" + BD's color scheme...

30417.jpg

Makes sense to me!

Edited by saxfreq1128

You have to see the uniforms under the light.

SCV is super clean and elegant, BD is in your face loud and Jazzy but they also have recognizable tunes.

BD wins Brass, Visual and GE SCV wins music ensemble. percussion? hmmmm it was too close to call. SCV was cleaner but BD was super flashy.

• Like 1

Whoooooa...

I loved it!!! I mean it usually takes me much of the season to get into BD's shows, but this has championships written all over it, and I haven't even seen visuals yet. Maybe I'm getting too excited over the awesome recording, but wow! Easily worth $5.

• Like 1