Blue Devils Pre-Season Release

Geez there's a lot of prerecorded stuff in the first half, some of it I could understand, but there's a lot that's being covered up and cluttering the music about 2 - 4 minutes in. Ok, I got that off my chest.

I like it, more so than 2009, and 2010, about like last year. I think this one's more like 2008. Lots of great soloist/small ensemble work and a VERY VERY good drumline/pit. The Bird and Bela in B Flat section sounds a lot like what they did in 91. The last about minute and a half is a build into what seems like a jam out section, but I have a feeling there is at least another 1 1/2, 2 minutes to add. I don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it. I just, like it. :smile:

My only big criticism is some of the prerecorded stuff that's cluttering up some music in the first half of the show.

Edit: I have a feeling with some changes, rewrites, and typical over the season development by the end of the season I WILL love it. :bluedevil:

Edited by DrumManTx

I've definitely gotten to the point where I don't even think about BD until the season starts. Mainly because you don't know what you'll get from them so I like to play it safe and reserve all judgements/opinions until after the Premier. If this is the year that BD has a Fan Favorite show then the Mayans were right about 2012 :tongue:

• Like 3

Thanks

How MUSICAL do you think it is? Is it tunes to hum to or avant garde like?

Somewhere between, it's a nice balance. It's innovative, but there's some sections that sound like good old fashioned drum corps and definitely have a standout melody that gets stuck in my head.

Think 1991 + 1996. That's what someone said on facebook and I agree.

Edited by DrumManTx

Thanks

How MUSICAL do you think it is? Is it tunes to hum to or avant garde like?

It's mostly great jazz, with some incredibly lush segments. It's not at all like anything they've done recently. I think the voice stuff in the first half is really going to work on the field (its muddy in this recording). I'm not a fan of vocal narration on the field, but this may be the rare exception that really works. I think it's supposed to more of a background sound effect than a predominant voice.

Wow.

I liked it.

I cannot wait to see this on the field.

I kinda lost focus in the middle of the show.. which happens a lot when I listen to BD. I'll have to listen again and try to keep focus. I'm not sure if it was me or the show, haha

But what I maintained focus on, I really liked. It's BD for sure. It's not unlike their past shows, but it is different. It's drum corps. I don't know, I'm still forming an opinion. I'll get back to ya'll later.

• Like 1

And I didn't know BDB was doing Ecstatic Waters... awesome!

I've really liked their programming a lot more than the A corps in recent years lol

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1

It's not even about competition anymore.

Seriously!

This show has to be done!

Thank you Wayne Downy for listening to me!!!!! ( I suggested in November to play 91 and 96 stuff but make it totally off the wall to the point of thumbdown.gif or thumbup.gif)

It's mostly great jazz, with some incredibly lush segments. It's not at all like anything they've done recently. I think the voice stuff in the first half is really going to work on the field (its muddy in this recording). I'm not a fan of vocal narration on the field, but this may be the rare exception that really works. I think it's supposed to more of a background sound effect than a predominant voice.

In the recording, :40 to 1:56 was GORGEOUS!

And that's good to hear about the vocals, as long as they are good in context, they're alright with me.

Edited by DrumManTx