Albuquerque, Tues. 6/19

Again, don't forget,

Academy spent an entire week previous to the show prepping for their indoor theater show.

• Like 1

Again, don't forget,

Academy spent an entire week previous to the show prepping for their indoor theater show.

And they only had 3/5 of their show on the field yesterday. Not to mention they have something like 9 days of rehearsal until their next competition after the one today in Mesa, Az. They'll be ok. I can't wait to see them today!!!

....then again, if these corps progress (and they should get better!) at the same rate, the placing might not change....

June scores, placements, spreads can and do change most years. By the time we get to the Regionals, we begin to see less volatility. Plus, this year we have judges utilizing the new judging sheets and they'll be a bit of a learning curve for both staff and judges with these sheets, I'd imagine. If your Corps has scored and placed a little lower than you thought to start the season, keep the faith, as this season could be a an interesting roller coaster ride. Right now, Phantom has had a good start, and lets see how it all unfolds for both them... and all the others.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Amen.... I now dub thee Brasso the wise!!! I think only time and more use of system will tell

HLDmello:

I think this was BK's pre-tour show in Denver. I was there and the stadium looks familiar. Sat right against the press box on the 50.

Some thoughts:

1) Pre-show flocking interesting drill work; not liking the synth music (too quiet start, garbled--I know BK techs can make this better); very dirty, but I know the corps had some very long days prior to the show.

2) Uniforms of guard have uber-bright green accents--and the drum sides match! I understand that there will be a change in the pit garb also later in the year.

3) Brass struggled early in the show, but really came on strong from about the 5 minute mark on; classic BK style

4) Drums were very clean/crisp for this time of year--especially snares!

5) Drill cleaned up from about the 4 minute mark to the "end"; Mark Arnold told the crowd that they would be "arcing up" for the ballad and ending.

6) Arc: brass had excellent energy; connected strong with audience; drill should be interesting.

Talented group--still a bit young to compete at the top 5 level. Clearly conveys "Firebird" but has new elements.

I only performed in New Mexico once, but I remember the stadium being much bigger than this. Is this the first year at this venue? (Would anyone know that?) lol

I love how the general consensus amongst the PR-haters is that they are too good and too clean too early, so they can only go down while all other corps pass them by.

Brilliant.

I guess they should have done a stand still of the last 45 seconds of their show in Akron just so they could keep something in the bag until August.

Stupid.

You know, in 2008 I thought they were very clean early, and it turned out not to hurt them down the stretch.

And the next night Crown popped a 73. Yes, comparing different shows doesn't always work, I know.

I'm sure thy'll keep cleaning, but can they keep going. If they're this clean already, what will they have to clean in August.

I had the same doubts last year, and they pretty much came true. People were saying Phantom would medal, or possibly win with Juliet, and they ended up in 5th because they're wasn't enough to keep them going to August.

I just have the same vibe that this could be like Bluecoats '07. They came out on fire, beat everyone at one point or another, and ended up in 7th. There just wasn't enough content to go all the way to Finals.

Again, I'm not trying to argue either, but I think there is a fine line between hyping and over-hyping based on two shows.

Do you just make these things up in your head?

The general consensus was that PR was going to have a down year, and possibly end up in 7th... I can't recall a single person saying they were going to medal, much less win it all.

If I recall correctly, they actually got beat by SCV in CA.

By the end of the season, they were .15 behind Crown for the 4th spot and pulled away from SCV and Bluecoats. Seems like they ended on a pretty high note, rather than petering out like you suggest.

I appreciate your posts, but it is pretty obvious that you are quite the SCV homer...

• Like 5

But remember, as has been stated several times in the Akron thread and Phantom 2012 thread, the reason Phantom is so clean is because they started with a very EASY program (their words not mine!).

So, if that is TRUE, there should be plenty of room to grow into a much more difficult drill, music book and guard work.

The question is: are the members of Phantom Regiment talented enough to achieve success as the demand of their program is raised? I don't think the corps has peaked with the program written as it is right now. I know there are a ton of changes coming during the shows in California and the resulting program will be a lot more difficult than it is right now. Phantom is known for doing more than 'cleaning' during the tour season.

I believe this group of young men and women will be up to the challenge and PR's staff have a master plan of moving them into a more difficult program slowly and successfully.

• Like 5