DCI Fan Network Issues

I also had the "Good audio but Jerky picture" issue which is a 1st for me, I've never had any problems before with anything on the Fan Network.

I also looked at some 2011 shows and they streamed just fine.

Will try again tonight.

Hey guys.,

Just so you guys know how the Fan Network works in that regard, maybe you can help me out by crowdsourcing this a bit.

Basically, we put up videos, and then the back-end network distributes those videos geographically. It's not always in one location. So if you are seeing a "jerky" file, here's all you need to collect...

What city/metro are you in

Browser

Flash Version

One other thing... as much as I'm not a Flash fan, it's still the most ubiquitous way to get stuff out there. No one has to tell me about HTML5; I know how cool it is, literally with the CPU. I get it. But if you're a Chrome user, make sure you do a comparative attempt with a non-Chrome plug in browser, and see if that's the same performance. I've seen smoother results from the plug-in, especially on older machines. Also, there are multiple "versions" of every file we make. So when you go full screen on VODs, they are in HD at 1280x720 - *IF* your line speed gets detected as able to handle it. (Not our algorithm.) However, every version of video we put up has the exact same audio track, so if it changes mid-stream, it's not a shock in audio quality.

If you guys manage to track this to a specific geography, I can certainly take care of it. A few years ago, on a different network, we tracked a problem down to Florida and got a fix done for everyone connecting there. So this isn't a huge call out for help, but if you should happen to notice any patterns (which we don't right now), let me know.

• Like 3

Hey guys.,

Just so you guys know how the Fan Network works in that regard, maybe you can help me out by crowdsourcing this a bit.

Basically, we put up videos, and then the back-end network distributes those videos geographically. It's not always in one location. So if you are seeing a "jerky" file, here's all you need to collect...

What city/metro are you in

Browser

Flash Version

One other thing... as much as I'm not a Flash fan, it's still the most ubiquitous way to get stuff out there. No one has to tell me about HTML5; I know how cool it is, literally with the CPU. I get it. But if you're a Chrome user, make sure you do a comparative attempt with a non-Chrome plug in browser, and see if that's the same performance. I've seen smoother results from the plug-in, especially on older machines. Also, there are multiple "versions" of every file we make. So when you go full screen on VODs, they are in HD at 1280x720 - *IF* your line speed gets detected as able to handle it. (Not our algorithm.) However, every version of video we put up has the exact same audio track, so if it changes mid-stream, it's not a shock in audio quality.

If you guys manage to track this to a specific geography, I can certainly take care of it. A few years ago, on a different network, we tracked a problem down to Florida and got a fix done for everyone connecting there. So this isn't a huge call out for help, but if you should happen to notice any patterns (which we don't right now), let me know.

Thanks drumcat

I am in Corbin, KY

on Firefox 13.0.1

Flash Player 11.3.300.257

No, I am not saying that. I think that they may be having load issues. I had similar problems when the service went live last month. They worked themselves out pretty quickly. And now I have streaming back (it's a bit hiccuppy, but working).

Honestly, for $65 it's really worth it. Not only could you be watching Louisville RIGHT NOW, but you could also take in the "back catalog". You could even compare first shows from Sunday and last year (which I think I just might do right now...)

Thank you so much for the advice, 'Nole (what a baseball team in the CWS, btw). I was not quite sure if it would be worth it but the general consensus seems to be that it is. You sold me on it so now it's off to get my charge card out....again. Not sure if I will be able to get it on my IPad (someone mentioned getting audio only on a tablet). If not, it should be good on my desktop.

Thanks again. I very much appreciate it.

Thank you so much for the advice, 'Nole (what a baseball team in the CWS, btw). I was not quite sure if it would be worth it but the general consensus seems to be that it is. You sold me on it so now it's off to get my charge card out....again. Not sure if I will be able to get it on my IPad (someone mentioned getting audio only on a tablet). If not, it should be good on my desktop.

Thanks again. I very much appreciate it.

Not a problem, and thanks for the hat tip to my Noles... although I am still hoping that the 21st time is the charm!. One note on your iPad, the Fan Network uses Flash, and I am pretty sure that Flash does not work on iPads. Just something to consider...

I am in Corbin, KY

on Firefox 13.0.1

Flash Player 11.3.300.257

I see that you are using Firefox and know that I often have issues with the way Firefox works in conjunction with Flash Player. I always get much better results when I open it thru Explorer.

Using Chrome on my MacBook Pro, and the VOD are working great! I had one freeze up tonight... but my internet connection has been so-so lately. Comcast has been up on the poles for the past couple of weeks around here... so I'm guessing that's it.

However, I was having an issue about a month ago with various videos from various years. I haven't tried any of those out recently. So I'll try again soon.