George Hopkins

1. Almost guarantee? Well then who? No staffer, designer, or instructor I've spoken wants full, marching woodwind sections except for Hopkins, and Hopkins is pretty much half or even quarter-###ed about the whole thing.

2. I've taken hundreds and hundreds of band kids on trips to the Murfreesboro competition over the past decade. I enjoy asking them questions as a group, whose your favorite corps, that sort of thing. I do ask about woodwinds. Generally the kids don's feel it's needed. By no means am I saying all of them think this way. But most do.

I like the numbered responses :)

1. What about the parents ready to shell out lots of dough to see their kid march? And the corps that would happily take that money if they were allowed to let WWs in the corps? Are you saying that upon the legalization of WWs in drum corps, no one would use them?

2. "Most"? First of all, you're a biased observer. Maybe the kids who really wanted the two to be more similar didn't speak out? Word of mouth doesn't count as statistics unless polls are done scientifically. My point is that you don't really "know", you're just basing your beliefs on anecdotal evidence.

3. Whether or not band kids think change is needed has nothing to do with their likelihood of marching if WWs were legalized.

Have you seen the USBands balance sheet?

:ph34r:

You'd think he was, reading some of the posts about him over the years.

Bottom line is it's not happening this year. It's not happening next year. There's little to no support for it in the activity outside of Hop's brain. I don't see the point in getting fired up about something that has no shot of coming to light when there are far more legitimate drum corps issues to discuss that are based in reality.

Like 2013 prediction threads.

I agree...but I need the entertainment

Drum corps is summer marching band. Always has been.

Yeah, I know, everyone likes to call it that. That's why I put it in quotes. I really don't like the comparison. Maybe it's because marching bands are so bad... and drum corps aren't, at least the ones I watch. Why do we have to homogenize? Why can't there be two, distinct, separate classes?

• Like 1

I like the numbered responses :)

1. What about the parents ready to shell out lots of dough to see their kid march? And the corps that would happily take that money if they were allowed to let WWs in the corps? Are you saying that upon the legalization of WWs in drum corps, no one would use them?

2. "Most"? First of all, you're a biased observer. Maybe the kids who really wanted the two to be more similar didn't speak out? Word of mouth doesn't count as statistics unless polls are done scientifically. My point is that you don't really "know", you're just basing your beliefs on anecdotal evidence.

3. Whether or not band kids think change is needed has nothing to do with their likelihood of marching if WWs were legalized.

1. So how many members are we adding on the field? Oh and those parents will be where... at one show? And not many parents are willing to shell out money these days...

2. Everything is biased. Even polls.. no matter how unbiased they try to make them. And even if it is biased... you just have to open your eyes to see the truth in most cases...

3. I really dont' think we ever have to worry about WWs legalized to tell the truth.. yeah we get all up in arms about it on here... but what don't we go overboard with on DCP???

www.guidestar.com

Search for YEA.org

Also consider WHY the name was changed to USBands (not the news release reason).

well they only had 2010 up there...the organization made about $70,000.

Yeah, yeah.

You rattled the cage again, George. It happens every about every eighteen months or so when you aren't getting enough attention on dci.org or elsewhere. :tongue:

The tired refrain about "Woe is drum corps without woodwinds" from him is no better or more forward thinking than the "drum corps was better in the 70s DINO RAWR!" outlook. Same unwillingness to change, same resistance to listen to any other viewpoint than your own.

Work with what you have and stop making excuses for what you don't.

Experiment within the art form you already have: that means don't play Christmas shows with the typical opener-ballad-drums-closer format. :wink:

Work with experimentation with voicing, sizing (60 member color guards, antiphonal brass, etc) and so forth. Learn to go back out and "zag". It can be done now. Easily.

It's simple: put up or shut up: add them, and go exhibition if you really believe in it that much. I know it's been discussed before by him and Gibbs both, but neither wants to take the step away from the relative safety of DCI.

It's not going to easily pass for a long while within DCI . . .so there's your option. Take it or leave it, but, for the love of God, stop being the annoying kid in the corner arguing that Star Trek is cooler than Star Wars with everyone. :lol:

well some people just dont get that a phaser is uncivilized

:tongue:

still havent answered the question...the die hards as you call them , us , whoever arent going to be here forever ..the so called die hard from the 70s is not the die hard of the 90s etc etc. I agree with the fact its not all bandos BUT sooner or later it may be and the part I was asking about was will the NEW die hard have less connections to the past as well as the importance or lack of importance to WW or anything else

the diehards of the 90s will e smaller in number first off...fewer corps. you NEED those diehards. And I dont see those diehards crying we need to have the exact same instrumentation as bands.

well some people just dont get that a phaser is uncivilized

:tongue:

You know Janeway would kick all the Jedi's collective ##### with one phaser blast. Power of the force my ###!