DCI Essentials Blu-Ray

I wonder if there is any chance DCI will remaster some of those other years in Blu-ray. After getting last year's championships on Blu-ray, I am really wanting to see Cadets 2000, 1998 and 1997 on blu-ray.

I wonder if there is any chance DCI will remaster some of those other years in Blu-ray. After getting last year's championships on Blu-ray, I am really wanting to see Cadets 2000, 1998 and 1997 on blu-ray.

If you have those years on DVD, you're not likely to see much improvement in Blu-Ray, even remastered and upconverted. Remastering and upconverting can help keep the material from ironically looking worse as resolution increases, but can't always make it look better than originally.

DCI disk sales have fallen just as in the non-drum corps world. Many people prefer downloads and streaming to owning disks now. So the key to future releases will be whether this one makes money.

No '87 Garfield? :-(

Personally I'd much prefer to pay for high-cam version of a lot of shows. I used to have high-cam VHS of I think 83, 84 and 85 but sold them long ago :-(

DCI disk sales have fallen just as in the non-drum corps world. Many people prefer downloads and streaming to owning disks now. So the key to future releases will be whether this one makes money.

Curious to see when DCI will start selling the Blu-ray content as digital files. I believe the VPDs that are available are of much lower quality. And hey, with no more restrictions on the size the files can be imposed by the physical media, there's no reason not to make all the camera angles available along with commentary tracks, etc.

Plus, hopefully, turnaround time could be faster and overhead would be much lower (as DCI would have no risk of over-ordering or under-ordering a production run).

Curious to see when DCI will start selling the Blu-ray content as digital files. I believe the VPDs that are available are of much lower quality. And hey, with no more restrictions on the size the files can be imposed by the physical media, there's no reason not to make all the camera angles available along with commentary tracks, etc.

Plus, hopefully, turnaround time could be faster and overhead would be much lower (as DCI would have no risk of over-ordering or under-ordering a production run).

Yeah, I could see this being win-win for fans and for DCI, but the download sizes and times makes this tough to do today. In the future, who knows? As it stands today, you might blow through your monthly ISP cap just downloading all the angles and commentary for six to ten favorite shows. That's why the available VPDs don't look so hot. They limit the resolution to keep the download file sizes and times reasonable. The bandwidth demands escalate at an awe-inspiring pace for 16:9 HD content. This probably makes subscription streaming a better option than downloading for now anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone buy this yet? Any reviews?