Judging.... so far

So it seems as if the judges are not afraid to call it as they see it a little more than usual this year. Captions have been a bit all over the place past the first corps or two at a show.

What do ya'll think?

Is it going to last? The first regional are we going to slip back into the same old???

Personally I think this is great. And it really shows just how close each corps actually is.

Are the new sheets allowing the judges to break out of the old mold? Has it caused them to be a little more brave? There have been a ton of upsets between captions in this past week. But still corps are ending up where a lot of fans think they will. But this is causing the competition to be really close.

I'm really excited about the competition as this year goes on. Is it a change in the judging? Or is it the quality of the corps forcing the judges hand? You have to admit that the quality to far back in the pack is the strongest it's ever been.

I really don't know though.

What does everyone think of the competition and the evaluations done by the judges so far this season?

I absolutely love the idea that the judges are calling it how they see it this year.

I do think it's a combination of both the new sheets, and the quality of drum corps. I honestly hope that we're getting to a level that each year a corps can move up and down 3 to 5 places each year, and I think that's great. It's going to push the performers to work harder, and the designers to think of better ways to entertain.

• Like 1

If DCI had not announced the new sheets, I would have never known any difference. There have not been many surprises this season so far. I think any captions being mixed up is caused more by sheet confusion than anything else (after all, it must take time to get used to the sheets). But really, when you can clearly see neighborhoods of corps forming in the scoring from the first few shows, I find it hard to believe that we are breaking the mold with these sheets.

Also, the corps seem to be placing where they belong. For instance, Cavies have been disappointing so far, but Crown has come out of the gates strong. The scores have definitely shown that with Crown neck and neck with the Cadets and Cavies struggling not to fall below Spirit (would say Madison, but they just got beaten by them last night).

I don't think judges suddenly decided to "call it as they see it" this year. I think the scores are a reflection of a tighter than normal pack of finalist corps.

You said it yourself:

You have to admit that the quality to far back int he pack is the strongest it's ever been.
Edited by JayM

Judging.... fo far

B. Franklin: Let me skim down here. "When in the course of human events", and so and so and so and so, "that among these are life, liberty, and the purfuit of happineff"?

T. Jefferson: That's "pursuit of happiness".

B. Franklin: Well, all your S's look like F's.

T. Jefferson: You know, it's styling.

B. Franklin: Oh.

T. Jefferson: It's in. It's very in.

(Stan Freberg, "The Signing of the Declaration of Independence")

• Like 3

wow.... I think I need to close the computer... haha

but keep commenting. I could have sworn.. I even double checked!!!

I absolutely love the idea that the judges are calling it how they see it this year.

I do think it's a combination of both the new sheets, and the quality of drum corps. I honestly hope that we're getting to a level that each year a corps can move up and down 3 to 5 places each year, and I think that's great. It's going to push the performers to work harder, and the designers to think of better ways to entertain.

cavies have gone up and down in the past so have cadets.PR although not often also did..nothing new here. I believe Crown started strong last year also

• Like 1

I'm not sure about it yet. I understood the old sheets pretty well, I still don't understand why there was a need for new ones. If a show wins because it's the best and the crowd doesn't love it, darn! It was the best.

This year seems wonky. Troopers started, four or five shows ago, with a 62. As of tonight, they are at a 63. That, I think, is ridiculous.

If a show wins because it's the best and the crowd doesn't love it, darn! It was the best.

Best according to whom?