If BD did their show in '93...

How do you think it would be perceived? I bring this up because I was thinking of Star of Indiana's '93 show. It received its fair share of mixed reviews, but it is arguably one of the most famous programs of all time. It was a completely different, avant garde piece that challenged the traditional form of drum corps.

Blue Devils have been getting quite conflicting reviews this season, some loving the artistic aspect and avant garde nature, others writing it off as boring or unimpressive or at this point, just old hat. So if the Blue Devils did put on Cabaret Voltaire in the early '90s, would it have the same effect as Star did?

How exactly would they have performed their show at or anywhere near the same in 1993 without electronics considering the mindless french droning underlaid, the mic'd soloists, etc. etc.

It simply wouldn't have been allowed, wouldn't have been as effective, and would have just been Club Blue, Rhapsody, and some Bela with a subtle trip of acid at the end of the show.

It would have been weird and not very "activity changing" IMO.

• Like 1

I think Cabaret Voltaire would have been way out there for BD.

But if a corps like Velvet Knights had done something like that in the late 80s or early 90s, it would have been just another day at the office. VK did a lot of really disjunct and eclectic programs back then, but with a sense of humor, and without serious, cerebral underpinnings.

How do you think it would be perceived? I bring this up because I was thinking of Star of Indiana's '93 show. It received its fair share of mixed reviews, but it is arguably one of the most famous programs of all time. It was a completely different, avant garde piece that challenged the traditional form of drum corps.

Blue Devils have been getting quite conflicting reviews this season, some loving the artistic aspect and avant garde nature, others writing it off as boring or unimpressive or at this point, just old hat. So if the Blue Devils did put on Cabaret Voltaire in the early '90s, would it have the same effect as Star did?

You are correct that BD's show is getting decidely mixed reviews on the enjoyment quotient meter from most published audience reviews, and would probably receive even less favorable reviews from the audiences from 1993, imo. Star did not win DCI in 93 lets not forget, and so even the judging community at the time was split on Star. I also think that you overestimate the current view even today on Star 93's national appeal. Just a few years ago, DCI itself ran a national DCI poll asking current national fans for their favorite DCI show of all time. Star 93 was not in the top half dozen or so if I recollect. Perhaps others might be able to tell me where it ranked. So this notion of Star 93 being " the most famous program of all time" is frankly way overblown. That said, ity might be one of YOUR favorite shows of all time, and thats cool too. Even today, 93 Satar show has its critics. I liked 2 other Star programs better than 93 Star as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO

If Blue Devils played their 2012 show in 1993, the DCP'ers would complain that BD was boring, their show was too easy, and that they didn't march. :rolleyes:

I think thier horns, drums and CG would score high because of the incredible performance levels of the current corps, but the overall show would suffer in "general effect" which was the best indicator of success in that era.

I don't care what anyone else thinks! I have been waiting 20 years for something like this to come along and I'm going to enjoy it period.

• Like 2

I understand what IMcomguy is saying about amplification, narration, synths, etc. not being allowed in DCI back in 1993. But all of that was common in high school marching band back then (in southern California anyway). So while it would have been weird, illegal and disqualified for DCI, I think it would have been considered a really good marching band show as far back as the mid-1980s.

You are correct that BD's show is getting decidely mixed reviews on the enjoyment quotient meter from most published audience reviews, and would probably receive even less favorable reviews from the audiences from 1993, imo. Star did not win DCI in 93 lets not forget, and so even the judging community at the time was split on Star. I also think that you overestimate the current view even today on Star 93's national appeal. Just a few years ago, DCI itself ran a national DCI poll asking current national fans for their favorite DCI show of all time. Star 93 was not in the top half dozen or so if I recollect. Perhaps others might be able to tell me where it ranked. So this notion of Star 93 being " the most famous program of all time" is frankly way overblown. That said, ity might be one of YOUR favorite shows of all time, and thats cool too. Even today, 93 Satar show has its critics. I liked 2 other Star programs better than 93 Star as a matter of fact.

Ah, my mistake, I suppose I should have clarified; I didn't necessarily mean that Star's '93 show was the best show ever, or even Star's best show. But I think it is safe to say that that particular show was definitely talked about, and like you said, still is today. I'm just curious as to whether or not this year's Blue Devils show would have left a similar impact on the activity's community as a whole, regardless of how popular it was.

If Blue Devils played their 2012 show in 1993, the DCP'ers would complain that BD was boring, their show was too easy, and that they didn't march. :rolleyes:

I think thier horns, drums and CG would score high because of the incredible performance levels of the current corps, but the overall show would suffer in "general effect" which was the best indicator of success in that era.

We can't compare how a 2012 Corps show of today would compare if they went back and competed in 1993. But if you ( and others) insist, the 2012 BD show would not place in the top 4 in 1993. Probably not even in the top 8 or 10.

Thats because I assume we are using the DCI sheets of 1993, not the judging sheets of 2012 in this time machine journey back in time, right ? If so, penalties alone would take the Devils out of the top 4. Penalties for unapproved use of instrumentation, pre show playing penalties, undertiming of show penalties, too many marchers on field, out of bounds marching penalties, and on and on.

We can't compare how Corps in previous decades would fare here in 2012 either. Thats because the shows of earlier decades would not have been written that way, here in 2012, and under different judging standards and different judging sheets and what can and can not be done in competition.

Edited by BRASSO

I think this show will be talked about just as much maybe. I hated last years show. ( I still supported BD though) I loved 2010 almost as much as this show!